Unfortunately, husband doesn't want to pay for me to go to a chiropractor - which is my first choice - because he thinks it's a waste of money. The right side of my lower back has been hurting for a few days, and when I tried to do sit-ups just now (I was doing at least 100 a day) doing even one hurt so I stopped. I'm not sure if I'm pregnant and probably won't take a home pregnancy test for a few more days, when my period is due to start. So the two remedies I'm thinking about are walking, which is just around the house in this rainy weather, and finding the thingie I bought over a year ago that I can stick in the microwave for a few seconds and apply to my back. Those two and drinking lots of water are all I know to do. If you have any ideas (short of a miracle - convincing my husband to let me go to a chiropractor) please fill me in! I would love to bend over, squat, and kneel again with less or no pain.
- categoryHealth Healingtagged by Catholic Mama, 9/23/13
Related Forum Threads
- Favorite health-enhancing practice? Last post on 4/22/14 at 3:46am in Women's Health
- Please educate me on staph infections Last post on 4/16/14 at 2:43pm in Women's Health
- HHS seeking comments regarding provider non-discrimination in health plans. Deadline 10 June 2014. Last post on 4/12/14 at 5:32am in Women's Health
- nausea and fatigue- several bfn Last post on 4/12/14 at 7:19am in Women's Health
- HFM, not just for kids...UPDATE Last post on 4/10/14 at 8:12am in Women's Health
3 Family-Tested Secrets to Not Getting Sick
Last edited: 1/2/14
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?Last edited: 11/2/13
- The Crunchy Mom’s Guide to Working with Your PediatricianLast edited: 10/25/13
- An asthma epidemic and a climate crisisLast edited: 10/31/12
- Mood NeurotransmittersLast edited: 6/27/11
Affordable alternatives to chiropractic for back pain?post #1 of 79/23/13 at 1:48pmThread Starterpost #2 of 79/24/13 at 12:14am
All of us have our views and your husband seems to have his regarding chiropractic treatment. Chiropractic has proven to be a good option for treating back pain. He just needs to believe that it's going to help you. Well, convincing your husband is something you are going to have to do, isn't it? Maybe show him some articles and data on how it helps people, especially in neck and back pain. Don't do any sit-ups till the back pain's gone completely. You might damage it further. Maybe someone who has already been benefited from chiropractic, can talk to your husband. Ask him to let you go for one sitting, tell him if it doesn't show any positive signs you wont insist. Take care of yourself. God bless.post #3 of 79/24/13 at 12:55pm
I've found warm/hot baths with epsom salt helpful (sometimes I add peppermint essential oil - helps numb a bit of the pain). I'll usually try some gentle stretches afterward since my muscles are warmed up (yoga - cat/cow, downward dog, child's pose, and some side twists).
Make yourself a new rice/grain bag with an old sock (just tie or rubber band it after filling with uncooked rice/uncooked popcorn).
Either tiger balm (hot & soothing) or biofreeze (menthol & numbing) can be helpful for the pain and getting whatever is strained stretched out a bit.
And dh should be offering lots of massage.post #4 of 79/25/13 at 8:20ampost #5 of 710/4/13 at 6:27pmThread Starter
My husband has rubbed it a few times. I will ask him for more when he has a chance in a couple of days.
Thank you for the suggestion, grahamsmom98. A friend suggested a pressure point specialist, and for both that and physical therapy it looks like I would need a referral from my doctor. I tried to make an appointment since my children need check-ups anyway and was put on hold for a long time, and will try again on Monday.post #6 of 710/9/13 at 6:01pmThread Starter
Update: I made an appointment with our family doctor and will see him or someone he works with next Tuesday before two of my children have check-ups.
When I sit down, my lower back hurts (and sometimes my upper legs); do you know of any gentle exercises or positions I can practice for relief until Tuesday? I've been on my feet almost all day and sometimes my legs get tired or my feet hurt.post #7 of 710/9/13 at 6:13pm
http://www.katysays.com/ - I've been poking around here and it looks like she has some good stuff. I think her whole dvd set would be about the cost of a chiropractic visit.
Physical therapy - yes, if you doctor will refer you, it worked wonders for me. My pain was all in my shoulder and back though, not sure about the leg pain. Tell hubby to give you a massage. : )
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?
- › Old TV Shows and reference to disease 46 seconds ago
- › April 2014 challenge: 1,000 minutes of exercise! 2 minutes ago
- › weekly chat April 21-28 3 minutes ago
- › Lawn Mowing with little ones in the yard 3 minutes ago
- › Pre-teen wild child? 4 minutes ago
- › May 2014 DDC Baby Shower Game Thread Three 5 minutes ago
- › Books, Blogs and... Recipes, yeah. Why not? 5 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy To Do Lists! 6 minutes ago
- › May 2014 DDC Baby Shower Game Thread Two 6 minutes ago
- › My Husband changed his mind!! 7 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › 3 Simple Ways to Nurture Yourself by Marcy Axness
- › The Birth of River by Kristen Tea
- › The Never Agains by BrainChild
- › Day in the Life: A Graphical Representation by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Operation Meditation by Brian Leaf
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness