How do you decide if genetic testing is necessary?
My mama instinct says that we should have some testing done. When I talk to my pediatrician about it, she isn't opposed to it but she also doesn't know what to write on the referral to the geneticist. I don't have a lot of confidence in our pediatrician at this point because she dismissed all my concerns about DS but did agree to give me the referrals I requested for OT, PT, and speech. We didn't need a referral for the neuropsych. As it turns out my concerns were very valid, just in speech DS is a little over three years behind typical kids his age and he has a severe articulation disorder that is in part due to childhood apraxia of speech and an auditory processing disorder. DS is number 4 of my 5 kids. He is very thin (37lbs at age 6yrs, 8months), doesn't eat well (sensory issues, deviated swallow, SLP wants us to go to the gastro doc and check on yeast), dyspraxic throughout his body, has low tone, ASD, SPD, LD (this is his primary eligibility for his IEP). I am looking for a new pediatrician but what can I say to our current pediatrician in the meantime. I just feel like something is 'off' that may turn up on a genetic test. I'm sure she would write whatever I wanted on the referral I just have no idea what to ask for. Please help!