or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › how many of us oldies are still around?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how many of us oldies are still around? - Page 2

post #21 of 179

I had a previous user name, I think I created that one right after crash. 

 

This place was my lifeline once upon a time. My second child was seriously ill for many months, I used to spend my days here to keep my mind occupied. I still have small children so I often will check on a couple boards daily while I lay with them at nap/bedtime.

post #22 of 179

I've been here under a different user name since 2007.  :) 

post #23 of 179

I joined in 2006 when my now 8yo was just a baby (boo hoo, he was such a cutie) I almost tear up thinking about it.  Its nice to be in the company of some of you others who were here long before i was.

 

Do you think  the last 10 years or so were exceptional? Were we part of a wave of consciousness, that is dissipating? My local api group seems different too.

 

Im interested to know how mothers feel when their babies get older, and how they look back over the years, and how they put it into perspective. I am always floundering in uncertainty about my identity as a mother, and who my kids were, are and are becoming...it changes all the time....

 

Another thread maybe?

 

Im so glad i could always turn to MDC

post #24 of 179

I joined in 1999 or 2000, but then I think I had to rejoin?  Perhaps because of the crash. . . I don't remember.  Either way, I have been here for 13+ years.  

 

Amy

 

eta:  my user name says joined 2004 --that is when I rejoined, so it must not have been because of the crash.  Perhaps I had been inactive for too long?  I don't know.

post #25 of 179
 
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

 

Im interested to know how mothers feel when their babies get older, and how they look back over the years, and how they put it into perspective. I am always floundering in uncertainty about my identity as a mother, and who my kids were, are and are becoming...it changes all the time....

 

You flounder in uncertainty about your identity as a mother...?  I can't relate to that at all.  :rotflmao 

 

I still have the teen years to get through (and then I suppose early-adulthood) but at 12 I think "AP" has worked wonders for my oldest. And the toddler is just so happy and sweet that the way she's being raised is difficult to argue with. 

post #26 of 179

Here.  MDC turned me into a die-hard intactivist.  

post #27 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

 

Do you think  the last 10 years or so were exceptional? Were we part of a wave of consciousness, that is dissipating? My local api group seems different too.

 

 

On this, I have a very optimistic perspective, which is that NFL and AP are far, far more widely practiced than 12 years ago. Of course things ebb and flow but in general I think some aspects of NFL/AP are somewhat mainstream. Oftentimes I feel like the ones that break in are the ones that can be associated with consumerism. So, some food concerns, some health alternatives, baby wearing, cloth diapering, and etc. Also the internet -- people go there for information these days and that brings people to all sorts of parenting/life styles they may have not had access to before. I think that's a good thing. But, yes, it does have the effect somewhat of diluting the strength of the message one can get online. For the most part, I think that is a good trade even if the feedback I'm looking for isn't quite as strongly in favor of NFL/AP as I would sometimes like. 

 

I think this also makes the job the staff does very difficult and I'm sympathetic to that for sure. Because I think the way this place is run is part of why people come here. I do wish that those who are new to FNL/AP or those who only fit with a few things and don't agree with a lot of the others would take a posture of wanting to learn or "live and let live". 

 

All of that said, "MDC has changed" has been something people have been talking about since I joined. I think I remember 10 years ago people talking about the time "before the crash" and how great it was and how mainstream MDC had become -- and this was back when it was way crunchier than it is today.  I have seen members who have only been around very short while (like a year or two) complain about what this place has become and I always give a little chuckle. 

post #28 of 179
Thread Starter 

Yes my perspective has changed. Breastfeeding did not work out but my kids still turned out okay. 

I felt good about my choices to not circ should I ever have a boy (I never did but I still educated about it).

My kids are being raised to accept and embrace all kinds of families and people including gay and lesbian people, and they see them as normal and matter of fact.

Same with people of all cultures.

 

I just feel that our focus is different now, but MDC really was my lifeline at times when I struggled with depression, a very sick child, and a troubled marriage.

 

Love MDC. Now I have started to come back just to chat and destress.

post #29 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
 
 

All of that said, "MDC has changed" has been something people have been talking about since I joined. I think I remember 10 years ago people talking about the time "before the crash" and how great it was and how mainstream MDC had become -- and this was back when it was way crunchier than it is today.  I have seen members who have only been around very short while (like a year or two) complain about what this place has become and I always give a little chuckle

 

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. Just wanted to say that when a seemingly recent member complains about the "good old days", I figure she may have been here for a lot longer than it appears, using a different name. As others mentioned, there are good reasons why people have to change their handle and log-in. 

post #30 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
 

 

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. Just wanted to say that when a seemingly recent member complains about the "good old days", I figure she may have been here for a lot longer than it appears, using a different name. As others mentioned, there are good reasons why people have to change their handle and log-in. 

 

True - though a few times it really has been new(ish) members and not old-timers with a new account. Not that I begrudge even new members this frustration -- I just think it's kind of funny.  If any of your are backpackers (like the rustic world-traveler type) this is a common thing among that group - to gripe about how much things have changed, "Dude, Phnom Penh used to be so much cooler before they got the roads paved..."  Ha! 

post #31 of 179

My perspective has greatly changed. The mother I was 10 years ago wouldn't even recognize the mother I am today. I have become much more tolerant then the die hard AP/NFL person I used to be. I don't know if I would go as far as saying that none of that matters, but just my priorities are different. I was never vocal IRL about my judgement, but if you aren't a hard core AP family, you bet I was mentally judging you. I was such a great mother because I could cross everything off the NFL lifestyle check list. Or so I thought. These days, I truly don't care what kind of parent you are or what choices you make. I have learned that the vast majority of parents are simply doing their very best with whatever they have. It is not bad just because it is different then me. Heck, I make what others deem as "bad" decisions with parenting. I could probably still be considered an AP person, but NFL? Not even close. 

post #32 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
 

I have learned that the vast majority of parents are simply doing their very best with whatever they have. It is not bad just because it is different then me. Heck, I make what others deem as "bad" decisions with parenting. 

 

 :yeah

 

Time and experience has a way of humbling the heart - for the better.

post #33 of 179

I think I joined in 2003 when my oldest was a year old. It's been interesting to watch the changes and the perpetual comments about the supposed good old days.

post #34 of 179
I joined in 2005. I used to come here a lot when my kids were infants/toddlers. Now they are all middle-school/elementary aged... and I don't know that I can relate so much, and I'm busier, I guess.
post #35 of 179

Not an oldie oldie, but I've been here since 2005, after my miscarriage.

post #36 of 179

QOTM, wave.gif :Kiss

post #37 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
 

QOTM, wave.gif :Kiss

 

:love Right back atcha!

post #38 of 179

I joined in 2000, but haven't been around much lately.  My daughter is now 13 and I have become the cab driver and bank (lol).

post #39 of 179

I do recognize a lot of you :grouphug

 

Haven't been around much in the last few years, dceided to come back in earnest a few times but mdc just isn't the same. Or maybe I'm the one so different. It's wonderful to see so many familiar names though. My favorite thread of all time was a spooky graveyard post started by "Red" In TAO if I remember correctly and morphed into a massive discussion on how we each eat sour patch kids... does anyone remmeber?? Maybe I'm crazy, but all while we waited for Red's update.

 

I'm at a very different place than I was when they were all small. Now my cubs are almost 13, 10, almost 6, 3 *sigh*

post #40 of 179

I joined when my daughter was born, she is almost 12 now!! Nice to see some familiar faces! MDC was a major part of my life for so many years. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Talk Amongst Ourselves
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › how many of us oldies are still around?