or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Working and Student Parents › Interested to hear from Mamas who took an extended career break to care for your kids then returned to paid work....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Interested to hear from Mamas who took an extended career break to care for your kids then...

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hey Mamas

 

I've been the full time carer for the last 3 years for my son.  I'm currently p/g with #2 so it will be at least 4-5 years before I return to paid work.

 

I'd love to hear from other Mamas who took a lengthy career break to care for your kids and then returned to paid work.

 

- What was your experience?

- What would you suggest to someone like myself in this situation?

- What challenges did you encounter when you were returning to paid work and how did you tackle these?

 

My professional background is as a Project Manager/Process Improvement, but I suffered from extreme burnout and major disillusionment.  My goal is to re-train and eventually transition into a career as a Relocation Consultant. 

My plan is to gain my certification in this field.  Also I plan to join a professional group for this field so that I can build my network in this industry and also, I'm thinking I could get involved in an industry group in order to build my skills, and also, when bubs #2 is old enough, look for part time/short term assignments in this field.

 

Thanks for your feedback!

post #2 of 10

Hi there-- Taking a break was not an option for me, so I don't have any suggestions, but it sounds like you have a great plan in  place!! ANd you seem to know what you want. 

 

I'm sure others in similar situations will be along soon to chime in!

post #3 of 10

My plan is to gain my certification in this field.  Also I plan to join a professional group for this field so that I can build my network in this industry and also, I'm thinking I could get involved in an industry group in order to build my skills, and also, when bubs #2 is old enough, look for part time/short term assignments in this field.

 

Thanks for your feedback!

when do you plan to do the bolded parts? how long is the certification valid for? how many years before you need to recertify IF u need to recertify.

 

without a job i am not sure how you can network. 

 

all the plans you have made sounds like best to do when you are getting ready to enter the work field. not while you are being a SAHM. 

post #4 of 10

Taking the time off to be a SAHM was the most wonderful thing ever. Most of the time-- ha ha! Can also be a lot of hard work. :-)

 

I was a technical writer before I had my first baby. By the time I was ready to think about working again, my skills were so out of date and so was my resume. I ended up going back to school. I took one class at a time at night school through my community college. I started this when my youngest was nearly 3. Dh watched the kids at night when I was in class. Then I got into nursing school and it was a whirlwind fast-track program. I started nursing school when my youngest was entering Kindergarten, so perfect timing. I have now been a nurse for 2+ years. I work part-time because full-time was just too much. I am still a SAHM at heart.

 

One thing that I put on my resume was my time spent as a SAHM. The managers who hired me were very interested in this and said it absolutely counted as experience! I also kept up with other resume-worthy things such as starting a small support group related to my daughter's medical condition, and I published a few odd articles in small journals and magazines. Two of them were about cloth diapering. :-) So I stayed a little bit active in the areas where I had passions, and this kept me from having a huge gap on the resume where a lot of time had passed with nothing there. You could possibly volunteer somewhere with your job related skills very part time, for example.

post #5 of 10
I work for myself as a technical writer in software. I have an agent who looks for contracts from 10 - 20 hours of work a week for me. I found out about agents from a Society for Technical Writers evening I went to, there were several there. There are also agencies that do it; it's all contract work, which is ideal for a mom.

I worked when my first was 2.5 to 4, when my second was born, to avoid too long a break. I am looking at going back in the spring when my second is 2. Again to keep my resume fresh: ten hours a week isn't a lot of money. But it is more per hour than other jobs for the time away from my family.

Project managers are always in demand in software. It's a role I'm grateful for, tough work! Can you do it in an arena that interests you, like nonprofits?

For me, going back means about six months of lead time getting childcare rolling, getting my agent searching, and mentally adjusting to the idea. Maybe feel out when you can 'see' your work beginning and six months before start your plan!

Best of luck in your new phase. Hope that knot in your stomach dissolves soon!
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post
 

Hi there-- Taking a break was not an option for me, so I don't have any suggestions, but it sounds like you have a great plan in  place!! ANd you seem to know what you want. 

 

I'm sure others in similar situations will be along soon to chime in!

 

Thanks for your encouragement!

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
 

Taking the time off to be a SAHM was the most wonderful thing ever. Most of the time-- ha ha! Can also be a lot of hard work. :-)

 

I was a technical writer before I had my first baby. By the time I was ready to think about working again, my skills were so out of date and so was my resume. I ended up going back to school. I took one class at a time at night school through my community college. I started this when my youngest was nearly 3. Dh watched the kids at night when I was in class. Then I got into nursing school and it was a whirlwind fast-track program. I started nursing school when my youngest was entering Kindergarten, so perfect timing. I have now been a nurse for 2+ years. I work part-time because full-time was just too much. I am still a SAHM at heart.

 

One thing that I put on my resume was my time spent as a SAHM. The managers who hired me were very interested in this and said it absolutely counted as experience! I also kept up with other resume-worthy things such as starting a small support group related to my daughter's medical condition, and I published a few odd articles in small journals and magazines. Two of them were about cloth diapering. :-) So I stayed a little bit active in the areas where I had passions, and this kept me from having a huge gap on the resume where a lot of time had passed with nothing there. You could possibly volunteer somewhere with your job related skills very part time, for example.

 

Thanks for your feedback, really great to hear your experiences.

Wow that's intersting about the hiring managers being positive towards your experience as a SAHM.  Truthfully I feel that wrangling a toddler was no different to wrangling some of the project team members I used to work with....the tantrums, the refusal to do anything and the short attention spans.

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
 

when do you plan to do the bolded parts?

- Same way I juggle every other task/activity that is not child related. See below for examples of how other  Mamas have done this.

 

how long is the certification valid for? how many years before you need to recertify IF u need to recertify.

- Indefinite. No need to recertify.

 

without a job i am not sure how you can network. 

- It's entirely possible - joining professional groups, seminars, conferences.  See below for examples for how other Mamas have done this.

 

all the plans you have made sounds like best to do when you are getting ready to enter the work field. not while you are being a SAHM. 

- These plans will take some lead time.  The certification course is only offered at specific times so I need to plan ahead for that.  See below for examples of how other Mamas have utilised their time as SAHMs to their professional advantage.

 

I appreciate your feedback, but to be honest I find it comes from a negative/ "can't do" place.  Thanks anyway!

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCapucine View Post

I work for myself as a technical writer in software. I have an agent who looks for contracts from 10 - 20 hours of work a week for me. I found out about agents from a Society for Technical Writers evening I went to, there were several there. There are also agencies that do it; it's all contract work, which is ideal for a mom.

I worked when my first was 2.5 to 4, when my second was born, to avoid too long a break. I am looking at going back in the spring when my second is 2. Again to keep my resume fresh: ten hours a week isn't a lot of money. But it is more per hour than other jobs for the time away from my family.

Project managers are always in demand in software. It's a role I'm grateful for, tough work! Can you do it in an arena that interests you, like nonprofits?

For me, going back means about six months of lead time getting childcare rolling, getting my agent searching, and mentally adjusting to the idea. Maybe feel out when you can 'see' your work beginning and six months before start your plan!

Best of luck in your new phase. Hope that knot in your stomach dissolves soon!

 

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's very enlightening to read how you've made this work for you.

 

Sadly - I just found out I had a missed miscarriage, so the future feels very uncertain at this point.

post #10 of 10

Redmom, I am so sorry to hear that. :Hug

 

Please take care of yourself in whatever way is fitting for you. 

 

Your plans will continue to evolve in a way that is right for you. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Working and Student Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Working and Student Parents › Interested to hear from Mamas who took an extended career break to care for your kids then returned to paid work....