My son will be 4 in December. He has been using the potty regularly since he was 7 months. He's pooped on it since then. He's been out of diapers completely since he was 2.5. About 8 months ago he started refusing to poop. He will hold it for up to 8 days. We've talked to his doctor and it is not a constipation issue. I make sure he has lots of high fiber food and when he does go it's not hard. He's pooping small amounts in his underwear multiple times per day. I'm getting VERY frustrated. Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks!
- categoryPotty Learning Elimination Communicationtagged by mamazee, 10/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- Post your potty training tips! Last post on 12/2/13 at 5:49pm in Potty Learning
- Just let her poop in her undies? Last post on 11/6/13 at 4:31am in Potty Learning
- Potty traing w.o rewards? Last post on 9/16/13 at 7:08pm in Gentle Discipline
- Am I, or is my friend, being unreasonable? Last post on 8/22/13 at 8:52pm in Life with a Toddler
- when your toddler pees on the bed Last post on 7/28/13 at 5:29pm in Co-sleeping and the Family Bed
The Anatomy of Potty Training
Last edited: 9/5/13
- My Six-Year-Old Isn't Quite Potty Trained!Last edited: 7/8/13
- Another Hilarious Mom Moment (Warning- Poop)Last edited: 3/18/13
- Elimination Communication ResourcesLast edited: 6/5/13
My almost 4 yr old pooping in his pants a lotpost #1 of 610/17/13 at 4:22pmThread Starterpost #2 of 610/21/13 at 6:47amWow, that does sound frustrating! Have you made any changes in his potty routine, like taking away a potty chair and going on the big potty? Or has he started at a preschool where he has to use an unfamiliar potty? The only time I've seen this with my kids is when one was afraid of a potty and therefore held it.
Hopefully you'll get some more responses with more ideas too. Good luck!post #3 of 610/21/13 at 7:28am
Holding it for 8 days is a behavioural issue that will quickly become a constipation issue. Our doctor recommended full adult dose of Restoralax (Miralax in the US I believe) until regularity was restored. Not going for 8 days can cause real physical damage to the colon. He probably has a large hard blockage and what you're seeing is the softer stool from above the hard blockage leaking around it. He is absolutely constipated. Google encopresis and seriously find a new doctor.post #4 of 612/26/13 at 12:22pm
My 4 1/2 year old niece does this a lot. She literally doesn't want to poop in the toilet or potty chair. After she held it in for days and wound up getting so compacted that it compressed her urethra (to the point where she had to have a Foley catheter in for a week to drain her bladder easier), her doctor had her start taking Miralax 2 times a day and eating poop-friendly foods like apples, oatmeal, prunes, broccoli, and dried apricots. We also stoped giving her milk all together, instead, giving her almond milk.
Since we started doing this, she has had less accidents, but still messes her pants. When the doctor asked her why she didn't want to go in the potty, my niece said that it hurt and she was bored sitting on the potty waiting for something to come out. We started giving her books to read while sitting on the potty, as well as sock puppets. As far as the pooping pain, we put a little Vaseline on her anus to help lubricate everything, so it doesn't hurt nearly as much. So far, this has been helping the past 2 weeks.
Another thing you might try is an incentive. Brianna LOVES temporary tattoos, so we have been telling her that if she keeps her pants clean all day and goes poop in the potty, she gets a tattoo at the end of the day. This has been a big hit with her, since she gets to pick out the tattoo she wants.
One thing I definetly don't recommend is keeping your son in messy pants to teach him a lesson. We did this to my niece and it backfired big time to the point where Bri would mess her pants and not tell anyone she did, until we smelled something funky.post #5 of 612/27/13 at 9:10am
Seconding the incentive. My boy just turned 4 and he has been potty trained for pee for a year now, but still has the occasional poo accident. We started giving him a few M&M's when he has sat on the potty to poop. It has helped. But we are not trying to push him, even though we could really use the money back in our wallets from buying diapers/pullups. We figure he'll train on his own timeline.
Another thing you can try is taking him to pick out new underpants. Then perhaps he won't want to mess them up.
- My Six-Year-Old Isn't Quite Potty Trained!
- › ~*~The TTC ONE Thread~*~April 2014 13 seconds ago
- › Is the media becoming more pro-vaccine? 3 minutes ago
- › Back to work ft - surprised by how unsupportive some people are... 3 minutes ago
- › Mom of a 14 year old.....single mom 4 minutes ago
- › Anyone doing a home birth? 8 minutes ago
- › What is your go-to kid friendly meal for those nights when you're... 11 minutes ago
- › Colorado Vaccine Exemption Legistlation 13 minutes ago
- › Currently lactating mamas 19 minutes ago
- › Missed Miscarriage 20 minutes ago
- › BUMPS and Belly Shots!! 20 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Birth of River by Kristen Tea
- › The Never Agains by BrainChild
- › Day in the Life: A Graphical Representation by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Operation Meditation by Brian Leaf
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo