or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › crunchiness and stereotypes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

crunchiness and stereotypes

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 

Most articles I read by pro-vaxxers lately start with  :

 

"I am crunchy and I vax!"

 

I find it annoying.  Perhaps because I am non-vax, only moderately crunchy and look more like the following than an earth mother:  

 

 

Stereotypes are annoying.  

 

 

Oh, and while we are at it - I am non-religious, rarely use any kind of meds including alternative meds, eat non-organic stuff regularly and don't hate the government (I half like the Canadian government, although the other half of me does not like them and I could drop-kick Harper……)

 

So - for fun.

 

1. Post a picture of someone who looks like you and how you dress

 

2.  Do this quiz and let us know how crunchy you are.  

http://themoralesfamily.us/granola.htm  

 

I am 133.

 

3.  let us know if you identify as vax on or mostly on schedule, sel/del or non vax  

post #2 of 42
I got a 133. We don't vax. This is not me, however, I have this same outfit and several other colors of said shirt which I rotate thru. Sad I know but, I am constantly on the move and I like to be comfortable. :-)
post #3 of 42
124, (Hint 'o crunch) and selectively vax. Can't upload photos here, but I look pretty non-crunchy. No dreads, no tatts. I look terrible in busy scarves and feel slovenly if I don't shave.

Thanks for the laughs. I, too, get sick of that you-can-vax-and-be-crunchy line. It assumes that we're all making medical decisions for our children based on what the Cool Kids are doing. eyesroll.gif
post #4 of 42

106; I wear jeans and t-shirts or sweaters and sandals or boots; I vaccinate on schedule.

 

The test associates not vaccinating with crunchiness.  If I didn't vaccinate, I would be 121.  So... yeah.

post #5 of 42
150. I think my UC put me into the ultra crunchy bracket! I'm a jeans and t-shirt person. No vax, and eat almost exclusively organic. Definitely lean away from allopathic medicine.
post #6 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
 

 

 

The test associates not vaccinating with crunchiness.  If I didn't vaccinate, I would be 121.  So... yeah.

The test is meant for fun.  I would not read too much into it.    That being said, I am going to go play with things (such as UC - which I have not done) and see how heavily they weigh it.  

 

ETA:  there were 19 categories.  Most were a 10 point spread, but some (including vaccines) were a 15 point spread.  


Edited by kathymuggle - 10/19/13 at 4:23pm
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
 

The test is meant for fun.  I would not read too much into it.    That being said, I am going to go play with things (such as UC - which I have not done) and see how heavily they weight it.  

 

I don't read anything into it.  I just think it's funny that you're offended by this association of not vaccinating and crunchiness and then point people to a test that does just that.  I would be crunchier if I didn't vaccinate.

 

I took the test as if I were my SIL, who is a fantastic mom and decidedly mainstream and got a 30.  She also vaccinates on schedule.

post #8 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
 

 

I don't read anything into it.  I just think it's funny that you're offended by this association of not vaccinating and crunchiness and then point people to a test that does just that.  I would be crunchier if I didn't vaccinate.

 

Yes, well, I did not vett the test very well.  Bad me.  Putting aside the quiz:

 

Annoyed is not the same as offended.  

 

Turquesa hit the nail on the head when she said:

 

"Thanks for the laughs. I, too, get sick of that you-can-vax-and-be-crunchy line. It assumes that we're all making medical decisions for our children based on what the Cool Kids are doing."

 

The whole "you can vax and still be crunchy" plays into stereotypes.  Of course vaxxers can vax and still be crunchy (isn't this a given?) likewise, non-vaxxers can not vax and not be overly crunchy.

 

 

I took the test as if I were my SIL, who is a fantastic mom and decidedly mainstream and got a 30.  She also vaccinates on schedule.

 

I am not sure what your point is here.  No snark.  

 

  


Edited by kathymuggle - 10/19/13 at 7:47pm
post #9 of 42

172... so, um yeah, a bit crunchy I guess. :D  We don't vax at all. Jeans and t-shirts are the most practical clothing choices for me so that is what I wear. Here is a pic of the hubs and I.

 

post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
 
Of course vaxxers can vax and still be crunchy (isn't this a given?)

 

I don't think it is a given within the crunchy community.  It's a topic that came up before when they were rearranging the vaccination forums.  Moms that vaccinate often feel like outsiders within natural parenting communities.  Those articles are simply saying, "you're not alone" to people that often feel alone in that choice.  I know it's not a big deal to non-vaxxers who deal with larger social stigma, but it is a big deal to us.  IMO, the quiz you posted perpetuates more stereotypes than those articles, including the one you were complaining about.

 

I took the quiz as my SIL just to see what the range of crunchiness of the quiz is.  I think most people on this forum that take the quiz are going to be pretty crunchy.  Which will prove that vaxxers can be crunchy, but not that non-vaxxers aren't.

post #11 of 42
I look like this:



Oh I'm sorry I meant I look like this:



LOL the last one really is me. Scored 132 on the test. Some of the questions were silly! :-)
post #12 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

I look like this:



Oh I'm sorry I meant I look like this:



LOL the last one really is me. Scored 132 on the test. Some of the questions were silly! :-)
 

 

 

I just checked your due date.  Dalia - you are due!  (like you don't know that, lol)

 

Very healthy, positive birthing vibes…..dust.gif 


Edited by kathymuggle - 10/19/13 at 6:36pm
post #13 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
 

 

I don't think it is a given within the crunchy community.  It's a topic that came up before when they were rearranging the vaccination forums.  Moms that vaccinate often feel like outsiders within natural parenting communities.  Those articles are simply saying, "you're not alone" to people that often feel alone in that choice.  I know it's not a big deal to non-vaxxers who deal with larger social stigma, but it is a big deal to us.  

 

We just see it differently.  

 

To me saying "you can be crunchy and still vax"  implies crunchiness is the reason people are non-vax and not a well thought out, weighed decision.  To the best of my knowledge, no one here skips vaccines because it is the crunchy thing to do.

post #14 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
 

172... so, um yeah, a bit crunchy I guess. :D  We don't vax at all. Jeans and t-shirts are the most practical clothing choices for me so that is what I wear. Here is a pic of the hubs and I.

 

Just a tad crunchy.  I like the shoes.  

post #15 of 42

I no longer use a soft carrier with my 100+ pound 11yo, but I answered yes anyhow because I did for quite some time.

 

147.

 

And I vax on schedule.

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
To me saying "you can be crunchy and still vax"  implies people don't vax because it is a crunchy choice (like an item on a checklist) , and not a well thought out, weighed decision.  To the best of my knowledge, no one here skips vaccines because it is the crunchy thing to do.

 

So you find these articles annoying, but were you annoyed when you got to the vaccination question on the quiz?  Because it literally was a checklist of "crunchy things" and this quiz deems you more crunchy if you don't vaccinate.  To me that is one of many examples that this association exists even within the crunchy community.

 

I don't know, I'm actually quite crunchy - just not when it comes to medical decisions - so I'm more annoyed that I'm marginalized because I choose hospital birth, don't use homeopathy, and vaccinate than the implication that non-vaxxers are more prevalent in the crunchy community.  It's not a big deal because it's not a huge part of my identity, but I can definitely understand where the article authors/meme creators are coming from.

post #17 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
 

 

So you find these articles annoying, but were you annoyed when you got to the vaccination question on the quiz?  Because it literally was a checklist of "crunchy things" and this quiz deems you more crunchy if you don't vaccinate.  To me that is one of many examples that this association exists even within the crunchy community.

 

The quiz had 19 points on it.  Vaccination was just one.  The quiz also deems you more crunchy if you don't wear make-up , homeschool (and I know some very non-crunchy HSers!) and don't shave.  

 

Really, I posted the quiz for kicks.  I admitted I did not vett it very well, and, like Dalia, think some of the questions are a little odd.  So - long story short - I am not going to get into an argument on the quiz with you.  

 

I think we said most of the important stuff here: 

 

Those articles are simply saying, "you're not alone" to people that often feel alone in that choice.  I know it's not a big deal to non-vaxxers who deal with larger social stigma, but it is a big deal to us.  cwill

 

 

"….To me saying "you can be crunchy and still vax"  implies crunchiness is the reason people are non-vax and not a well thought out, weighed decision.  To the best of my knowledge, no one here skips vaccines because it is the crunchy thing to do."  kathymuggle

 

Have a good evening.

 

K.


Edited by kathymuggle - 10/19/13 at 7:55pm
post #18 of 42

1. Me at the beach....comfortable multicolored dress, crunchy?  Bra...not crunchy.  DD--no sunblock, crunchy?  Bonnet is a hand-me-down that is over 30 years old...crunchy! I think lol.

 

2. Score 111. I bombed! bawling.gif

 

3. No vax, although my first child is fully vaccinated up to age 5. This was before I knew I had a choice!

 

I thought the quiz was fun. I guess I don't fit into the crunchy category so much. I really don't fit into any category. If they made a category labeled "uncategorizable", I might fit into that one. Lol!

post #19 of 42

Got 115

 

Fun test - crunchy or not. There always will be stereotypes. Can't get rid of them just like there always will be prejudice among people who believe differently.

 

post #20 of 42
I think if I started a thread that said "I love chocolate" eventually there would be some kind of crazy argument and people getting offended all over the place! It's silly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations Debate
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › crunchiness and stereotypes