I've posted in some other areas on Mothering about my concerns about my now Toddler DD. We are in the 90% range that at some point she'll be given a dx on the Autism spectrum. This scares me a lot less now that in did when we first started to suspect that she was "different". Of note, I had a very healthy, typical pregnancy, 0 risk factors. 3 Ultrasounds in total during my pregnancy with her. Delivered at a hospital with an OB who I love; labor was very very long (3 days) that ended up augmented with Pit and an epidural in the last 20 minutes of labor-if I would have known it was only going to be another 20 minutes, I would have declined the epi (which totally sucked and I continue to feel guilty about). I worry that her repeated U/S AND awful labor with Pit and epidural may have caused her issues and/or made them worse.
However, I'm now pregnant with #2, at about 10 weeks. I'm currently being followed by the same OB and a HB midwife with co-care. I'm over 35, so AMA, and my OB is encouraging a 1st trimester screen with ultrasound. Our MW is encouraging me not to, but stated that she would support me should I decide to. I'm having all sorts of conundrums with this pregnancy. Both DH and I are in the medical field, so we see the benefit of some of the testing; however, we both are well aware that every procedure/medication/etc has risks (hence the goal of a homebirth but with the OB following just in case). I also know that my OB will want to do a level 2 U/S at ~20 weeks for the anatomy scan.
Given my worries that I've "caused" my daughter's issues, I'm wondering if any of you Mommies have struggled with any of the same issues? I know this is my decision to tease out, so I'm not really asking for advice as much as asking for experiences. It really don't need to know if this baby has any issues, other than the fact that we'd like to be at a hospital if we were delivering a baby with a genetic condition so that baby could get the care they needed.