We did a similar thing-- switching off so one parent could do school/work while the other stayed home. It's not always easy but compared to the three months we had to do daycare, it felt a lot less stressful. Now, I'm planning on staying home for awhile, but who knows what curveballs life has in store.
As for tips...
1. I do better with some kind of routine.
2. Get out as much as you can to break up the day/week. A change of scenery can work wonders on the bad days.
3. Take advantage of free activities/spaces.
4. Audiobooks/NPR/adult conversation will help you feel more connected to the adult world.
5. Finding some kind of group/activity that is parent/kid friendly helps.
6. Doing chores early in the day makes evenings less crazy, when the baby is usually fussy, and probably won't let you get much done.
7. Having a good carrier makes it possible to do a lot more in and out of the house.