or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › Doctor will eventually retract foreskin?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Doctor will eventually retract foreskin?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hello, on October 26 I had my surprise gender baby, a boy! He was born at home with the midwife I saw my entire pregnancy.

 

Anyway, I took him to a family doctor yesterday. Before she took off the diaper I said he was not circumcised and made sure she would not retract the foreskin. She said that we eventually would want to retract the foreskin or else it would become fused. By the way she said "eventually" I took it to mean not when he's a tiny infant, perhaps when he's years old.

 

I know that we should not retract the foreskin at all, the boy should do so on his own when he is older. So this is what I believe to be the correct answer, but is there any truth to what she said? Will it become fused to the head of the penis?

 

I am welcoming the experience of other mothers, but if anybody has any reliable sources they can include that would be appreciated. And someone might recommend I get a new doctor, but I would rather not as I assume circumcision will be some kind of issue no matter where I go. I also just have her so I can take him somewhere if he's sick, I'm not big on asking my doctor for advice on things.

post #2 of 8
No one should retract unless its the child himself. Some intact boys retract at six, others at puberty. Keep a watchful eye on this doc... she's ill informed.
post #3 of 8

I have three boys, all intact.  We never retracted them.  All their foreskins retracted at different times on their own with no help whatsoever from anyone but them.  You are more likely to cause scaring and adhesions if you try to retract the foreskin before it is ready. 

post #4 of 8

It won't "become" fused, it already is fused.  The foreskin is fused to the head (at birth) much like your fingernails are fused to the nail beds.  With time (and hormonal changes, eventually) that fusing will release over a period of years (3-18 years of age) and no longer be attached in the same way.  If artificially detached (like during circumcision or forced retraction) the foreskin will attempt to self-heal and refuse--- parents are advised to prevent that.  Completely different than a normal, healthy foreskin, though!

post #5 of 8
I don't have the time right now to find an exact link but www.dostorsopposingcircumcision.org has a video on the purpose & function of the prepuce. I haven't watched it in a while but there is probably something in there about it the prepuce being fused to the glans. Www.nocirc.org is run by a nurse & has pamphlets that can be printed, although I'm not sure they'd be good enough for every doctor, if you decide to share w/ her.

This doctor is terribly misinformed. Boys are born w/ their foreskins fused to the glans penis. Perhaps she's thinking of the boys she's seen who,have had a "loose circumcision." Often times the prepuce that is left will attempt re-adhere to the glans & maybe this is where she gets the "become fused."

Some parents who see doctors like this will make a hands off/only the parent touches the genitals policy. If something needs to be manipulated, only the parent does it.

Congratulations on your baby!
Sus
post #6 of 8
Your docotr is not only incorrect, but she is giving you advice that will cause injury and problems. She needs to learn how to care for a boy with a foreskin, she is doing harm to every intact boy she sees, if the parents are not as vigilant and informed as you are. Here is some adive and waring form doctors who actually know what they are talking about:

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/pdf/2008-03retractileforeskinleaflet.pdf

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/info/info-forcedretraction.html


Regards
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
 

It won't "become" fused, it already is fused.  The foreskin is fused to the head (at birth) much like your fingernails are fused to the nail beds.  With time (and hormonal changes, eventually) that fusing will release over a period of years (3-18 years of age) and no longer be attached in the same way.  If artificially detached (like during circumcision or forced retraction) the foreskin will attempt to self-heal and refuse--- parents are advised to prevent that.  Completely different than a normal, healthy foreskin, though!

Thank you for explaining this in a way I can understand. I wasn't totally sure what caused it to "unfuse". My husband is circumcised so we are both new to a normal baby boy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

I don't have the time right now to find an exact link but www.dostorsopposingcircumcision.org has a video on the purpose & function of the prepuce. I haven't watched it in a while but there is probably something in there about it the prepuce being fused to the glans. Www.nocirc.org is run by a nurse & has pamphlets that can be printed, although I'm not sure they'd be good enough for every doctor, if you decide to share w/ her.

This doctor is terribly misinformed. Boys are born w/ their foreskins fused to the glans penis. Perhaps she's thinking of the boys she's seen who,have had a "loose circumcision." Often times the prepuce that is left will attempt re-adhere to the glans & maybe this is where she gets the "become fused."

Some parents who see doctors like this will make a hands off/only the parent touches the genitals policy. If something needs to be manipulated, only the parent does it.

Congratulations on your baby!
Sus

 

Thank you, I will look into both of your sources. It would be a good idea to do a hand's off policy, I will suggest that to my husband. I don't understand why doctors are so misinformed, circumcision is becoming less common. Not to mention I managed to do research and become informed, why can't they do the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post

Your docotr is not only incorrect, but she is giving you advice that will cause injury and problems. She needs to learn how to care for a boy with a foreskin, she is doing harm to every intact boy she sees, if the parents are not as vigilant and informed as you are. Here is some adive and waring form doctors who actually know what they are talking about:

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/pdf/2008-03retractileforeskinleaflet.pdf

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/info/info-forcedretraction.html


Regards

 

Thanks for those websites, I might print some stuff and bring it into our next appointment. 

post #8 of 8

Cl-you may want to switch dr's after explaining or giving her some info, if she doesn't drop it.  With our second son the ped said they would have to force it as well by 7 months old!  He would listen to nothing I had to say, so I went to the dr in charge of the practice to report the issue.  Never went back to the other dr, I had to swat the guys hand away from ds penis, sheesh.  

  That said, both our boys were able to retract themselves by 2 years old, just by playing around.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Understanding Circumcision
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › Doctor will eventually retract foreskin?