or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Babywearing › Allo Baby Carrier?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allo Baby Carrier?

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Has anyone tried this carrier? It looks like a good alternative to the Bjorn. Seems like it might be comfier for mom and baby. Any thoughts?

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...757&change=117

(By the way, please don't suggest a sling -- I'm going to get a KKAFP for winter, but that is as "Earthy-looking" as I will go, and it's too warm for Virginia in the summertime, so I want a soft carrier for when Ian is a wee babe. Also, DH will only wear a soft carrier -- nothing else.)
post #2 of 35
What about a Sutemi or an Ergo??

I think they support baby's legs more.
post #3 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlylibby
What about a Sutemi or an Ergo??

I think they support baby's legs more.
If these are the ones I'm thinking of, then I really don't like the floppy design and extra fabric. I really prefer the streamlined looks and structure of a Bjorn-style carrier. For one thing, it just SEEMS safer to me. For another, if I am going to be wearing it in public, I need it to look good (which is a matter of taste, of course). Shallow, but true. :

No one has tried the Allo Baby?
post #4 of 35
I have never heard of the carrier you described, but I do want to say that Bjorn style carriers put a ton of stress on the shoulders and are in no way safer than any sling used properly. I would also be a lot more concerned with how comfortable I am than how the carrier looks. Certain slings are very streamlined and very chic anyway and look a lot better than a Bjorn.
post #5 of 35
It looks cool but the reason people go for slings and Asian type carriers is because the Bjorn and the one you mentioned put the baby in an upright position and has them straddleing a peice of fabric. This puts stress on the baby's spine. I'm sure someone could find more stats on this. What you want to look for is something that puts baby in a 'seated' position, this is healthier for the baby. But way to go to want to wear your baby none the less! Check out www.kozycarrier.com
And if you want to 'look good' and not earthy check out www.zolowear.com they have awesome silk brocade slings that are so classy!!
post #6 of 35
Thread Starter 
Again, I'm asking if anyone has tried the Allo Baby Carrier. I am not at all interested in a sling. I realize a lot of people really like them, but they are not for me. If no one has an opinion on the Allo Baby Carrier, then I guess I'll have to be the first to try it, and that's fine. But before I sign up to be the guinea pig (at a cost of $70), I wanted to see if anyone else has seen it or used it. That's all.

If I wanted information on slings, there's no shortage of that here -- so I wouldn't take up board space asking basic questions that a simple search could answer. Right now, I'm just interested in knowing if anyone has tried the Allo Baby Carrier.

Allo Baby Carrier:
http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...757&change=117

Edited to add:

Kristine, I've seen a couple of articles speculating that the Bjorn-type carrier could be hard on baby's back, but they were both on websites selling a competing product (Hug-a-Bub and KKAFP). Have you seen anything from an objective source that definitively makes the case that a Bjorn can hurt your baby? I know an awful lot of babies who have been carried in them (including myself), and they all turned out just fine . . .

T By the way, how come your name says "New Member" under it and mine says "Member" even though you've been here longer and have way more posts than me? More
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby

T By the way, how come your name says "New Member" under it and mine says "Member" even though you've been here longer and have way more posts than me? More
I have no idea. I've been trying to figure that out as well! I'm forever doomed to be a 'new member' I guess!

Anyways, I'll try to see if I can find 'objective' information about the front packs. I too carried my oldest in a frontpack with no problems but for me personally now its a matter of ease comfort and not wanting to take the risk.
post #8 of 35
[qoute]Edited to add:

Kristine, I've seen a couple of articles speculating that the Bjorn-type carrier could be hard on baby's back, but they were both on websites selling a competing product (Hug-a-Bub and KKAFP). Have you seen anything from an objective source that definitively makes the case that a Bjorn can hurt your baby? I know an awful lot of babies who have been carried in them (including myself), and they all turned out just fine . . .
[/qoute]

I've been researching.....
http://www.continuum-concept.org/rea...nalStress.html
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby
Again, I'm asking if anyone has tried the Allo Baby Carrier. I am not at all interested in a sling. I realize a lot of people really like them, but they are not for me. If no one has an opinion on the Allo Baby Carrier, then I guess I'll have to be the first to try it, and that's fine. But before I sign up to be the guinea pig (at a cost of $70), I wanted to see if anyone else has seen it or used it. That's all.

If I wanted information on slings, there's no shortage of that here -- so I wouldn't take up board space asking basic questions that a simple search could answer. Right now, I'm just interested in knowing if anyone has tried the Allo Baby Carrier.

post #10 of 35
I saw one today in a store and it looked similar to a Bjorn.

When my DS was first born I shelled out the 90 bucks for a bjorn. Seriously, wearing it for more than a hour left me in so much back pain, and I do not have a bad back! Luckily I bought it at BRU and got my money back when I returned the darn thing. I would save your money and stick with your KKAFP. When you baby gets a little older I would get an ABC, like a Kozy or MeiTei, or I would get an Ergo or Sutemi. Much better for you and baby.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby
If these are the ones I'm thinking of, then I really don't like the floppy design and extra fabric. I really prefer the streamlined looks and structure of a Bjorn-style carrier. For one thing, it just SEEMS safer to me. For another, if I am going to be wearing it in public, I need it to look good (which is a matter of taste, of course). Shallow, but true. :
I have an Ergo and a Sutemi and there's no "floppy design and extra fabric" on either of them. Maybe you're thinking of something else? The Ergo looks as streamlined as the Bjorn in my opinion, and actually has less points of failure because there are less buckles and straps to be done up. (To your point of safety.) It's also much easier to get on than the Bjorn, etc. Now normally the Ergo is not my number one recommendation for a newborn in any case, but you've been very *ahem* adamant that you don't want to hear our overall opinions on that one.

If you're really set on something that looks like the Bjorn, I recommend the First Journey carrier: http://www.first-journey.com More versatile for positions (you can use it on your back) and I think it would be more comfortable for the wearer.

To the point on these syles of carriers and spinal stress... The article on the TCC web site is really interesting, but it is the opinion of one professional. There's no evidence to support or deny those claims. I'm personally not a fan of this "hanging by the crotch" style carrier either, simply because I can't imagine it being comfortable to me, but I think it's worth saying that just because someone posted an article on the Internet doesn't make it fact.
post #12 of 35
I'm just looking at the ad and it says this is "New Zealand/Australia's #1 carrier outperforms the leading european brand...and we can prove it!"... anyway, I'm wondering if they are referring to the Wilkinet? (http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/) I know that's very popular in the UK... from what I've heard it's an OK carrier, sort of what they have over there... there was a discussion about it recently on a babywearing list, but I can't remember exactly what it said...

Don't know if that's helpful...

IMO, an ABC can be gorgeous & quite stylish, especially if you choose your own fabric, etc... I think several designs are made with *just the right amount* of fabric to get the job done, so they can look as streamlined as these other carriers, plus you can use them for much longer. Just my 2 cents...
post #13 of 35
There is another alternative too, that you can use much longer than you willb e able to use the Bjorn for. It's very sleek, which I know you are looking for. I've never used one so I can't comment on its functionality.
http://www.rideoncarriers.com/
post #14 of 35
:
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2noah
There is another alternative too, that you can use much longer than you willb e able to use the Bjorn for. It's very sleek, which I know you are looking for. I've never used one so I can't comment on its functionality.
http://www.rideoncarriers.com/
See, now I think that is like 10,000 times UGLIER than a hotsling. Not trying to be rude, and hey, you don't even own one, but just being honest.

I think the looks of that are bulky and awkward....

I just can't imagine NOT liking the looks of a pouch! My word, she has gorgeous Oriental brocades.... sigh....

I can understand not liking the looks of a tail sling, to an extent... they are definitely bulkier than a pouch sling.... I love 'em all, but I can see that a pouch sling is definitely "trimmer" looking.... but wow....

Kimberly
post #16 of 35
Kim, as far as trimmer I have to %100 agree! I've carried a plain pouch in my COIN PURSE. lol. How many front packs can you do that with? I shoudl see the looks when I pull that out! hehe
post #17 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2noah
There is another alternative too, that you can use much longer than you willb e able to use the Bjorn for. It's very sleek, which I know you are looking for. I've never used one so I can't comment on its functionality.
http://www.rideoncarriers.com/
That's really cute! My baby will be a newborn this summer, though, so that carrier won't work for us until later. Thanks for the link, though. I like that.

I think when One Step Ahead talks about the Allo carrier being better than the "leading European brand," I think they're talking about the Bjorn. Especially based on the comparisons they offer as examples.

T I have to say, I'm sort of floored by the anti-Bjorn senitment on the board. Isn't anything that helps a mom wear her baby a GOOD thing? I can understand PREFERRING a sling, but why campaign so vehemently against the Bjorn or Bjorn-style carriers if that's what a mama wants? They're not evil!
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby
T I have to say, I'm sort of floored by the anti-Bjorn senitment on the board. Isn't anything that helps a mom wear her baby a GOOD thing? I can understand PREFERRING a sling, but why campaign so vehemently against the Bjorn or Bjorn-style carriers if that's what a mama wants? They're not evil!
Yes, anything that gets a baby in arms is a good thing. I think the reason you're getting the "anti-Bjorn" response is because there are a lot of people here who started with a Bjorn and moved onto something later that was so much more comfortable. This is all about sharing experiences and telling others what has worked for them. Can't really blame someone for wanting to warn you away from something they found uncomfortable. Isn't that the purpose of looking for advice? A similar thing happens when people mention the NoJo sling - everyone chimes in with the "BTDT, no thanks" posts.
post #19 of 35
I have not seen that carrier you mention. However, I was in a similar situation as you. I really like the look of the Bjorn carrier. I had one with my dd and wore if for short periods when she was a wee one. After visiting this board I came upon these carriers www.hugabub.com I got mine in the through www.cottoncradles.com . My baby is not here yet but I tried it on with a baby doll and its really super comfortable. Dont know if you like the looks of it or not but thought I would mention it. I got this one http://www.hug-a-bub.com.au/imagepages/image1.htm in this color. Its really very pretty and feels like your softest cotton t-shirt!!
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlylibby
See, now I think that is like 10,000 times UGLIER than a hotsling. Not trying to be rude, and hey, you don't even own one, but just being honest.

I think the looks of that are bulky and awkward....

I just can't imagine NOT liking the looks of a pouch! My word, she has gorgeous Oriental brocades.... sigh....

I can understand not liking the looks of a tail sling, to an extent... they are definitely bulkier than a pouch sling.... I love 'em all, but I can see that a pouch sling is definitely "trimmer" looking.... but wow....

Kimberly
I have a hotsling and I love it.

However, Kirsten has made it clear she is not interested in pouches or slings. That is why I suggested that carrier to her. After all, everyone has different tastes.

BTW Kirsten, since you are an MDC member you can get free shipping. There is a code on the front page of this board (where all the ads are).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Babywearing
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Babywearing › Allo Baby Carrier?