Originally Posted by rosie2727
I vax simply cause I've heard it usually keeps your child from getting life threatening illnesses and diseases. I've also heard that if everyone in "the group"/society does, then there's a good probability that said diseases and illnesses can be eradicated. I think this has been shown time over with things such as the plague, polio, mumps, etc. that leads me to feel best in Vax'g my children. I also believe that people that choose not to are asking for trouble. For everyone.
Yes, you have heard that. We've all heard that. It doesn't mean it's true. In fact, it's not true at all. It's a myth spread by the people who want to sell billions of dollars worth of vaccines--the pharmaceutical industry.
Did you ever pay attention to the tobacco industry? They spread very similar myths about cigarettes. They got everyone to believe that smoking make them look cool, and that smoking was actually GOOD for you. Women smoked because smoking calmed their nerves, kept them from gaining weight (while giving them cancer). The tobacco industry funded and directed studies that miraculously managed to conclude that smoking didn't cause cancer!
The pharmaceutical industry does the same things with many medicines, including vaccines. They have so much money, they can fund the entire research department of a university, and then fund whatever studies they want. They've also managed to place their people in key positions on government watchdog committees that are supposed to prevent that sort of thing. And do you ever wonder what kind of control they exert over the news media when most of the commercials and advertisements are for...pharmaceutical products? Pretty simple, really. "If you say anything against vaccines, we will pull our funding and our commericals/adverts, take our marbles, and go home."
Now, I don't know why you mention the plague. There was never a vaccine for the plague.
Mumps was never a serious disease for the vast majority. It was considered a childhood rite of passage. The idea that it's deadly came from the pharmaceutical industry, who cleverly waited until there were very few people around who actually remember having gotten the mumps before they started spreading lies about how serious it is. But it wasn't. And it isn't. Indeed, Merck (the manufacturer of the MMR vaccine) is being sued by two of its own virologists, who allege that Merck lied about the effectiveness of the mumps portion of the MMR, and that Merck engaged in serious fraud to cover that up.
Even the CDC admits that polio is generally so mild that 95% of the population doesn't even know they're sick. Of the remaining 5%, only 1% of THOSE 5% end up with paralytic illness.
i'm not saying that I'd want to see polio come back. But vaccination under those circumstances is not necessarily the best path to prevention of paralysis. Instead, researchers should have been looking at those .05% to see why they ended up with paralytic disease when everyone else was fine.
Yes, serious disease can result in trouble for everyone. But so can serious reactions to vaccinations. There are more and more studies linking vaccines with all kinds of problems, from seizure disorders (which can and have resulted in permanent brain damage to some) to arthritis to food allergy, and now to autoimmune disorders.
More and more often, people are choosing to avoid vaccination after seeing a family member, friend, or colleague have serious, often permanent results from a vaccine. To say that "this causes trouble for everyone" is troublingly reminiscent of other times in history, when people were told to go along with something that everyone knew was wrong, in order to avoid "causing trouble for everyone."