or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › The Childhood Years › Birthday party ideas for 7 yo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Birthday party ideas for 7 yo

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

We don't have the space at home so that's out. I know of those indoor, inflatable, jumping places but those are slightly over our budget. We are thinking of having about 15 kids.Thx.

post #2 of 22

How about 10 kids, would that help the budget or the space issue?  Going during non peak hours tends to be less expensive for the bounce house place.  (like a thursday evening vs saturday afternoon).

post #3 of 22

Is the weather nice enough for the park? 

post #4 of 22

Bowling?

post #5 of 22

For DS#1 birthday party, one of the big chain grocery stores had cooking classes where they got to make their own pizzas and decorate their own cupcakes.  Since I didn't have to pay extra for food, favours(they were able to bring home the cupcakes as their favours) it turned out to be a lot cheaper than renting an indoor party venue.  Not sure if you have anything like that available in your area.

post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
 

How about 10 kids, would that help the budget or the space issue?  Going during non peak hours tends to be less expensive for the bounce house place.  (like a thursday evening vs saturday afternoon).

We cud try. There's plenty of time so we can shorten as we go along? But i don't know of anyone with a reduced price for 10 kids.

post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
 

Is the weather nice enough for the park?

No. :((

post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
 

Bowling?

I do know a bowling place. But I just get the feeling it might not be any cheaper. Thanks, I'll find out.

post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystiquesmom View Post
 

For DS#1 birthday party, one of the big chain grocery stores had cooking classes where they got to make their own pizzas and decorate their own cupcakes.  Since I didn't have to pay extra for food, favours(they were able to bring home the cupcakes as their favours) it turned out to be a lot cheaper than renting an indoor party venue.  Not sure if you have anything like that available in your area.

None that I know of. WF does a class for toddlers but never seen a bday party.

post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 

I forgot about this. I know A.C. Moore has bday parties with one craft. I didn't look in detail but the reason I couldn't figure out the price was because they expect you to buy the supplies from their store and they have differnet packages with more accessories and less. I'd have to talk to someone there and get a price idea however didin't have the time that day.  If anyone has any information that would be useful.

 

The bouncehouse place was nearly $400 on a weekday without cake or any food and drink or their favor.

post #11 of 22

do you have any local museums? our 6 year old had his first birthday with friends when he turned 6 and we had it at the aviation and space museum. because we are members it worked out at about $12 per child and included ice cream cake with a space shuttle theme and pizza and we were allowed to have 5 adults for free as well and allowed for a visit before the party. those who were members (adults) were allowed in addition to the 5 free, and we were allowed to bring additional snacks for the adults/kids. they decorated the room and everything and the party room overlooked the runway. we did a two-nie party (so loose change in lieu of gifts) so after the activities the kiddos had lots of time to watch planes taking off and landing while eating cake. I plan on doing the museum party location for the next few years! was fun and a great learning opportunity (and my son being obsessed with chris hadfield made it a dream for him hehe)

 

it felt like very good value for money

post #12 of 22

We have a smallish house, too, and our DH wants a friend party for the first time this year - we told him he can only invite 10 friends, and we're crossing our fingers that some can't make it. I think if you limit the number of friends then having it at home becomes much more manageable. Otherwise check out naturalist programs at parks to see if they offer cool weather parties, they do in Minnesota.

post #13 of 22
I haven't checked at our AC Moore but Michael's is really reasonable. $50 plus the cost of whichever craft you choose. You can go big or small with that. The price includes a 2 hour (I think) party with an employee to run the activity.
post #14 of 22

Our rec center has ice skating parties that are pretty reasonably priced.  Several ice cream shops around us do parties also - fun atmosphere, built in snacks/foodstuff.  You might find similar options.  These would all be under that $400 price you were looking at OP, for sure.

 

Not sure about libraries - but I do know ours has rent-able rooms, and that might be a possibility for a location if your library does too - not sure if they help some with party activities (but they might, as well, if you liked).  There are a few children's theater groups that do parties in our area, as well as places like my dd's gymnastics gym.  Lots of pizza places seemed to be the option to choose when I was a kid, at least, as well.

 

Good luck figuring it out, though.

post #15 of 22

My stepdaughter just had a birthday party at Burger King (one without a play place) FOR FREE. Her mom called in advance and management blocked off a row of booths that could have easily seated 30, and placed paper crowns on each table. People had to buy their own food of course, and mom brought a cake from home, paper plates ect, and balloons. It was great!

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazajo View Post

My stepdaughter just had a birthday party at Burger King (one without a play place) FOR FREE. Her mom called in advance and management blocked off a row of booths that could have easily seated 30, and placed paper crowns on each table. People had to buy their own food of course, and mom brought a cake from home, paper plates ect, and balloons. It was great!

You mean that she invited guests to a party and the guests had to buy their own food?
post #17 of 22

Do you have a Little Chefs Academy or Culinary Kids or anything similar?  The ones near us are between $12 and $20 per kid, depending on the number and types of snacks. All you do is show up.  It's fantastic.

post #18 of 22
Pizza places sometimes do cheaper parties. McDonald's sometimes does as well. If you have a pojos, chuck e cheese, or YMCA you may also get a more affordable party. Not everybody you invite will and parents probably won't stay so keep that in mind when choosing a venue.
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by star*mora View Post
 

do you have any local museums? our 6 year old had his first birthday with friends when he turned 6 and we had it at the aviation and space museum. because we are members it worked out at about $12 per child and included ice cream cake with a space shuttle theme and pizza and we were allowed to have 5 adults for free as well and allowed for a visit before the party. those who were members (adults) were allowed in addition to the 5 free, and we were allowed to bring additional snacks for the adults/kids. they decorated the room and everything and the party room overlooked the runway. we did a two-nie party (so loose change in lieu of gifts) so after the activities the kiddos had lots of time to watch planes taking off and landing while eating cake. I plan on doing the museum party location for the next few years! was fun and a great learning opportunity (and my son being obsessed with chris hadfield made it a dream for him hehe)

 

it felt like very good value for money

The one I thought might be affordable was actually a good price $10 per kid with an attendant. But adults will be charged the same. And I expect an adult with every child. This musuem is about 1/2 hr away so I expect parents to stay. Also, this is just for the craft and museum minus decoration, cake, favors etc.

post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 

The kid list should be not more than 12-13 + 1 cousin.The other issue of course is that if it's a $25 per kid place the additional cost of siblings can really add up. I know a mom that brings 3 extra siblings.

 

There aren't any other options like skating rinks and gyms.

 

Please enlighten me on  a pizza place party. We have mom and pop pizzerias around that do great pizza. I mean I don't expect an activity but is it just food and drink?

 

There are rooms that could be rented for abotu $300 or a little less. But that means we arrange for music and a magician or something like that which might be more or less same as the bounce house which was actually $350 for a weekday but with their food, drinks and favor. I know of a senior center that rents out a large room - great for a big party - but it's so big that for a party with 10 kids it might be a bit odd.

 

Thks. I tried to look for the Michael's option. Found a blog where the person said it costed $20 per child with favor, craft and attendant. They allow you to bring whatever food you want. No restrictions. That sounds pretty decent but I'll check their latest prices.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Childhood Years
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › The Childhood Years › Birthday party ideas for 7 yo