I've added a few items, in green.
I do some junky stuffers (not as many as I used to - I can remember filling ds1's to overflowing, mostly from the dollar store, when he was little), but there are soooo many directions to go. My oldest son is 20, and I have four kids, and have been married twice. I've also done stockings for my sister, ex-BIL, oldest nephew and a former roommate, so I've hit a lot of demographics. So...here are some more ideas, from stockings I've done in the past.
- Tape (I do the coloured electrical tape for the kids, and sometimes a pack of scotch tape, but also did a tape theme for dh one year - duct tape, masking tape, electrical tape, box tape, etc.).
- Bandaids - the fancy ones - for little kids
- Guitar strings, picks, polishing cloths, polish, etc.
- Handwarmers (I throw those in for dh and ds1, as they're out and about for work and school)
- Eyeglass repair kits, cleaner or cleaning cloths
- Bottle toppers (the ones you put on an open bottle, to keep in carbonation)
- Outlet extenders (gave dh a bunch of these one year, as he'd been rearranging a lot of our power cords and electrical appliances)
- Drawing supplies (ds1 got charcoal sticks last year...also crayons, pencil crayons, markers, pencils, coloured pens - whatever suits your recipient)
- Homemade gift certificates (I used to do them for my ex, and a friend once gave her child a "get out of jail free" card that would excuse her from some specific consequence for something or other - I thought it was a bit odd, but kind of cute)
- "Soft books" - magazines, colouring books, puzzle books, etc - I always tuck one int he back of a stocking
- Lego - minifigures, specialty pieces, etc.
- Stationery/school supplies - mini staplers, notepads, paper clips, paper punches, etc.
- Craft supplies - pipe cleaners (dd1 has had several stockings with a bunch of pipe cleaners sticking out the top), stickers (my kids love those stick-on gems), pom-poms, googly eyes, etc.
- Small tools - gave dh a set of mini-screwdrivers a couple years ago
- Razor blades
- Toiletries (roll-on, bath gels, bath bombs, lip balm)
- Game supplies - dice, cards, bingo dabbers, etc. (I printed Yahtzee score sheets for my sister one year)
- Fridge magnets (or even regular magnets - kids love to play with them)
- Magnifying glasses
- Kaleidoscopes (either with the beads or the prisms)
- Flashlights (my kids each got a crank flashlight from LL Bean one year, and loved them)
- Hairbrushes, combs, barrettes, ponytail elastics, etc.
In the "stuff you eat/drink" category:
- Airplane bottles of favourite liquors
- Packets of hot chocolate, spiced apple cider, etc. (I don't do these much, because they don't have my preferred brands in packets)
- Oranges and pomegranates (I know I mentioned them upthread, but they have the advantage of taking up a lot of space!)
- Coffee (local grocery store stocks very small bags of special Christmas blends - they'll make 1-2 pots each)
- Condiments (hot sauce, mustard, jams, etc.)
And...I once gave someone a Barbie (generic knock-off) doll dipped in chocolate...long story, but it was perfect for the person in question.
I'm sure I'll think of some other stuff, and I'll add it, if I do. I've done a lot of stockings in my time. I do go completely and insanely overboard, but a lot of the things I buy are things we'd be picking up, anyway (eg. the toiletries, a lot of the craft supplies, batteries, etc.).
Edited by Storm Bride - 11/28/13 at 3:33pm