or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › The Vaccination Effect: 100 Million Cases of Contagious Disease Prevented
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Vaccination Effect: 100 Million Cases of Contagious Disease Prevented

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
"Vaccination programs for children have prevented more than 100 million cases of serious contagious disease in the United States since 1924, according to a new study published in The New England Journal of Medicine.


Dr. Donald S. Burke, the dean of Pittsburgh’s graduate school of public health and an author of the medical journal article, said that a reasonable projection of prevented deaths based on known mortality rates in the disease categories would be three million to four million.

The scientists said their research should help inform the debate on the risks and benefits of vaccinating American children."


http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/27/the-vaccination-effect-100-million-cases-of-contagious-disease-prevented/
post #2 of 11

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone else read this article? What do you think?

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Well, one positive thing about this study is that it can no longer be argued that "there is no evidence that vaccines have saved millions of lives"  

 

Three to four million lives saved in one country in less than 100 years. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. :thumb 

post #4 of 11

I can't read the article without subscribing. :(

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
 

I can't read the article without subscribing. :(

really? I am not subscribed and I can read it.  Strange....

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 

I sent you the article via PM, be looking out for it :) 

post #7 of 11

My local paper allows people to read a limited amount of articles for free.  I may have used up my allowance at NYT.

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

Well, one positive thing about this study is that it can no longer be argued that "there is no evidence that vaccines have saved millions of lives"  

 

Three to four million lives saved in one country in less than 100 years. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. :thumb 

IIRC the study estimated number of lives saved using pre-vaccine numbers.  

 

According to the OP, vaccines have saved 3-4 lives per 100 cases, correct?

 

The only disease that had the prevalence rate and seriousness to cause such a high mortality rate is diptheria.  

 

It would be far more interesting if they broke it down by disease, but even then, some of it would be speculative. 

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

 

The only disease that had the prevalence rate and seriousness to cause such a high mortality rate is diptheria.  

 

It would be far more interesting if they broke it down by disease, but even then, some of it would be speculative. 

 

For the 2010 calendar year, the researchers estimated the number of cases prevented for each disease:

  • Polio: 25,000
  • Measles: 900,000
  • Rubella: 84,000
  • Mumps: 270,000
  • Hepatitis A: 35,000
  • Diphtheria: 700,000
  • Pertussis: 350,000

Thats over 2 million diseases prevented in one year alone by vaccines. 

 

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/vaccinate-103-million-cases-diseases-averted-1924/

http://www.tycho.pitt.edu/data/level2.php

 

post #10 of 11

You seem to have forgotten that correlation does not equal causation.

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post
 

You seem to have forgotten that correlation does not equal causation.

Yep. The above is pure fiction. But when correlation supports a belief, this can be conveniently ignored.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations Debate
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Vaccinations Debate › The Vaccination Effect: 100 Million Cases of Contagious Disease Prevented