or Connect
Mothering › Groups › July 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Starting solids

Starting solids - Page 9

post #161 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitskalista View Post

Have you sunned the diapers? That works sooo well!

I don't remember when we started spraying. Maybe 8ish months? It probably varies a lot between babies. Some eat a lot better than others! Like how ruby eats basically nothing. We will probably not have to spray diapers until potty training! wink1.gif

As for your pregnancy logic, I totally get it! Why do you think I have four? wink1.gif

 

Jaya really doesn't eat a lot. Maybe every couple of days but her poop has always been not so runny for some reason. It could also be that I'm switching from microfiber to cotton so I'm a little shocked at how nasty her prefolds look when they come out. 

post #162 of 244
Thread Starter 

It makes me feel so much better that not everyone is eating a ton! Iris has some days when she's ravenous for solids, other days when she screams bloody murder when we put her in her high chair (though might try to steal a bit of something we put in our mouths when holding her). She's been losing weight lately, which is NOT good, but after two rounds of diarrhea (one part of full fledged stomach flu), croup, and not eating at all at daycare unless I can come feed her (no bottles from daycare, just from daddy).  She nursed ALL weekend though, so maybe she's starting to try to catch up. *sigh*  And Iris isn't moving yet either. She wants to stand (and walk), but has zero interest in crawling right now.

 

Also, I can't remember who asked, but none of the baby foods I've seen include water as an ingredient, so I'm assuming your kiddos intake of fluoride would be low.

post #163 of 244
Griffin wasn't interested in solids until about 1week ago, (he is 7 months). I offered to him every day since 6 months and he was so not interested that I stopped and just nursed. Waited 2 weeks and then bam! All he wants to do is eat. And nurse all night long, sigh. I made a concoction with squash, yam, broccoli, carrot blended in bone meal broth and mix it with rice cereal and he loves it!! Waiting that two weeks seems to have changed everything. I'm also trying to do the baby led weaning with solids..it seems as long as I'm spooning said concoction or applesauce in his mouth, he also wants chunks of stuff to eat himself. He seems impressed with the whole thing and proud of himself when he sees us eat and has something in his hands to imitate us with. Trying not to worry about choking. He doesn't have any teeth so feeling like i have to make everything pretty soft. Also, decided that introducing stuff every 3 or 4 days is just annoying. I'm just feeding him whatever and of course watching for allergies but I'm letting go a little so we can get this eating show on the road. It's much less stressful that way I find. Neither his dad or I have any food related allergies so I'm not going to stress about it.
post #164 of 244

eggs are a big hit

post #165 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actiasluna View Post

Griffin wasn't interested in solids until about 1week ago, (he is 7 months). I offered to him every day since 6 months and he was so not interested that I stopped and just nursed. Waited 2 weeks and then bam! All he wants to do is eat. And nurse all night long, sigh. I made a concoction with squash, yam, broccoli, carrot blended in bone meal broth and mix it with rice cereal and he loves it!! Waiting that two weeks seems to have changed everything. I'm also trying to do the baby led weaning with solids..it seems as long as I'm spooning said concoction or applesauce in his mouth, he also wants chunks of stuff to eat himself. He seems impressed with the whole thing and proud of himself when he sees us eat and has something in his hands to imitate us with. Trying not to worry about choking. He doesn't have any teeth so feeling like i have to make everything pretty soft. Also, decided that introducing stuff every 3 or 4 days is just annoying. I'm just feeding him whatever and of course watching for allergies but I'm letting go a little so we can get this eating show on the road. It's much less stressful that way I find. Neither his dad or I have any food related allergies so I'm not going to stress about it.

Sounds nice and stressless, making your own rules. I think I need a book about this for confidence. I mean, why can't they just eat what we eat? If she's getting it thru nursing, is a semsitivity so different while eating it without me as the filter? I have my sweet potatoes here and I'm stressing about how much to offer , but its all so new. Just in case she's ravenous.
post #166 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbownurse View Post

eggs are a big hit


I'm paranoid of the whites. At least he's not smile.gif
post #167 of 244

Our dr said as long as we don't have any allergies, then it's all good.
Here we are, why are you paranoid about egg whites?

post #168 of 244
Thread Starter 
Hallelujah! Iris ate a tablespoon of fruit yogurt mix and ate three!!!!! Oz of milk at daycare today. That's a record by a lot. And that after a month.
post #169 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruheling View Post

Hallelujah! Iris ate a tablespoon of fruit yogurt mix and ate three!!!!! Oz of milk at daycare today. That's a record by a lot. And that after a month.
That's great news! May it be the beginning of a streak!
post #170 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbownurse View Post

Our dr said as long as we don't have any allergies, then it's all good.

Here we are, why are you paranoid about egg whites?
Because my dr said it wasn't one to try. Maybe she meant not at the begginning. I have tried to follow her advice but then she'll changr it. Maybe its no so strict, its just..not breastmilk, I have to think about it with my crazy mind.

We just did a tablespoon of sweet potatoes. She squinted her eyes so much! Cute ♥ My partner thought she was choking but she seemed ok and had more. I think I need a baby spoon so she doesn't stuff it in her mouth.


Does anyone only let them eat it off the spoon and not hands?
post #171 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbownurse View Post

eggs are a big hit

That is a very serious " I'm eating don't bother me" face. He looks like had a growth spurt since last time you posted a picture.
post #172 of 244

Jaya hasn't really been into food OR nursing lately. I've been trying to steer away from premade baby foods but I might pick up some of those melty yogurt things that she ate over my friend's house who also has a baby. Or more fruit. she likes strawberries, peanut butter, yogurt, and hummus so far and avacado sometimes. Probably because it's easier to eat? I might get one of those mesh baggy things that @rainbownurse uses. Suggestions? 

post #173 of 244
Rainbow, how do you make the egg, like, scrambled, boiled, poached?
post #174 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actiasluna View Post

Rainbow, how do you make the egg, like, scrambled, boiled, poached?

hard boiled, but with a bit of a soft yolk. 

post #175 of 244
And do you cut it up for him or just let him get into it?
post #176 of 244

we put it in the mesh feeder and let him go.

post #177 of 244

So I am seriously beginning to question this whole gung ho attitude about food after yesterday. Julia had another allergic reaction (her first was to egg) yesterday. She was all covered in hives and itchy and cranky. I don't know if it was food related, the pediatrician says it could have been exposure to something else, and we took a bath together for the first time in ages, so I wonder if my deodorant or something was what did it. But she did have some new foods yesterday, and it just makes me question my food choices :-/ It was a pre-made food, Ella's Four Bean Stew. Poor baby. 

post #178 of 244
Thread Starter 

It could also be preservatives, a new soap or detergent, or a delayed reaction to something else she'd eaten earlier. I know the delayed reaction isn't all that common, but it also doesn't look like any of the ingredients in the food are common allergens. Allergy is strange. :(

post #179 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbownurse View Post
 

we put it in the mesh feeder and let him go.

 

I need one of those!!

post #180 of 244

they're amazing. We got ours at Shoppers Drug Mart, but they have them at Target too

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: July 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › July 2013 Due Date Club › Discussions › Starting solids