I contacted a home birth midwife, and everything was great with that except medicaid won't pay her and the out of pocket cost is too much for us to swing in a short amount of time. Its important to me that my midwife be paid, so I chose to just stick with the hospital.
Now, I have a good relationship with three out of five of the nurse-midwives, and those two that I don't have great relationships with aren't bad relationships... one I've only met once and the other we just don't bond super well. I guess it was that she was pushing pertussis vax on me that sort of turned me off a bit.
I can labor in the tub at the hospital, but not deliver in it. I have a birth team in place, but there is one more person who is important to me to be there, and the hospital had a two person limit. They're already "allowing" (ha) me three, so I'm reluctant to ask for another! However, the people I have chosen all have an important role in my birth and all understand that role might change in birth and/or I might even ask them to leave. Rae took hypnobirthing with me and is acting as doula, she will not take shit from anyone, she knows my birth wishes well, and she will help keep everyone in line (keeping them calm to keep me calm). Tree had a natural birth at this same hospital so her encouragement means a lot. Kathleen is the "spirit" to this birth... her role is harder to define but she's equally important. Then there is the baby's father, and I probably don't need to explain his role!
So, understanding that only three of those four can go with me.. that I wish to avoid interventions.. that I want to get there as late as possible (especially depending on the on call midwife).. that I am GBS+ but I prefer observation to a full dose of antibiotics (I will not refuse them if I do get there early enough for them, I just hope to get there past that point)... my questions are:
Is a birth pool useful if I'm not planning on staying home the entire time? I was looking at an affordable, inflatable pool. It's only about a 40.00 dollar purchase, but the set up of it and so on might be more of a hassle than its worth. Is water in early labor beneficial or is that more of something I'd want in active labor and won't really get either way (I'm "allowed" to push in the tub at the hospital.. I wonder how often oopsy waterbirths happen???)
I'm just over an hour from the hospital. I want to get there literally as late as I can. What should I look for in order to gauge when I should go in? I have a nurse friend who might be able to check dilation for me, she's also certified in advanced pediatric life support so in case I get to the point I refuse to move having her on call might be a good idea anyway. But besides having her check dilation (which she might not be available to do) what is there to go by? I've heard that generally waiting until you no longer feel you can move (or that you want to move) is a good idea because that point is probably transition. Well... I'm an hour away! So does this still apply? That sounds like hell in a car, honestly.
Hoping someone can offer me some advice! I'm not opposed to an UC, but I would transfer into the hospital after due to my GBS status because I am not comfortable with home observation of the baby. And being January, I think going to the hospital before birth might make a bit more sense than waiting until she's already here.