or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › 2014 Low Income Support Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 7

post #121 of 428

ugh when it rains it pours. My handyman just messaged me - he "isn't comfortable snaking the line as he's not a plumber". Nevermind that he does plumbing stuff all the time in his job as apt repair. I thought that just maybe we could afford it - it was going to be a big chunk with him doing it - $200 or so, but I thought that if we were careful we could do it. There is no way I can afford an actual plumber.... That would be upwards of $500 probably.

 

Guess tomorrow I'll be calling plumbers to get quotes.

post #122 of 428

Wish me luck ladies.  We are moving this weekend.  I'm picking up the uhaul at noon, the keys right after, and going to work  tonight.  When I get home at 9:30pm my kids will be with daddy and I'm packing up the uhaul.  We move tomorrow morning.  I'm not sure when the internet will be turned back on but I'll check in on my phone once I find the charger.  :wink  Have a great weekend.

 

 

Oh yeah and I would appreciate any references to how awesome my butt is gonna look after days of trekking everything I own in the world up and down the stairs to the third floor.  Just sayin.

post #123 of 428
Good luck! I know moving is hard work but in your case I think its worth it! Frugalmama, sometimes it seems like yr handyman friend is more trouble than friend. I hope you can get the watee fixed on your own.

Im enjoying a cup of apple cider with honey. My throat is sore and I have a touch of tmj. I really need a new pillow. My sil is supposed to give us a washer and dryer when she moves in a few weeks. I have never had my own dryer. I have a portable washer but I will probably give it away to my sister or a neighbor. Hubby has overtime today so we have a FEW spare dollars. Life is good here for the most part.
post #124 of 428
Thread Starter 

somehow i overspent and my account is negative.  this is a slight problem.  i never make this mistake.  

guess i wont be leaving the house for weeks.  ugh.

 

im in a funk.. frack

post #125 of 428

Ugh, we have backpay coming from the government, but somehow the post office decided to return it instead of delivering it.  All payments after this are direct deposit, but the cheques we NEED (of course) are now in limbo.  Bah, who cares?  It's only the deposit on the new house..... UGH!

post #126 of 428
Ugh the affordable health care act is soooooo messed up. My income is too low! But I can be exempt of the penalties gee thanks government for showing me how valuable I am. Best to play Russian roulette and hope I die off because I am obviously not contribitimg to society by being a constant support system too my children whose ex pays child support and alimony like he should and alll. What a crock! My state didn't expand medicaid and my premium on my individual plan increased 16% as of jan 1ST. I AM HEALTHY AS A HORSE. I have been tested for many things for life insurance purposes and my levels are all in the best category possible.

End vent greensad.gif
post #127 of 428
Side note:

Grateful ex texted me saying he just payed support for feb so it will hit my account on time by the 1st
post #128 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
 

ugh when it rains it pours. My handyman just messaged me - he "isn't comfortable snaking the line as he's not a plumber". Nevermind that he does plumbing stuff all the time in his job as apt repair. I thought that just maybe we could afford it - it was going to be a big chunk with him doing it - $200 or so, but I thought that if we were careful we could do it. There is no way I can afford an actual plumber.... That would be upwards of $500 probably.

 

Guess tomorrow I'll be calling plumbers to get quotes.

 

I hope you can find a reasonable handyman to fix the plumbing for you. It really sucks yours won't blah!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
 

Wish me luck ladies.  We are moving this weekend.  I'm picking up the uhaul at noon, the keys right after, and going to work  tonight.  When I get home at 9:30pm my kids will be with daddy and I'm packing up the uhaul.  We move tomorrow morning.  I'm not sure when the internet will be turned back on but I'll check in on my phone once I find the charger.  :wink  Have a great weekend.

 

 

Oh yeah and I would appreciate any references to how awesome my butt is gonna look after days of trekking everything I own in the world up and down the stairs to the third floor.  Just sayin.

 

Good luck on the move! I'm sure you will look great after all that moving with stairs involved lol

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

Good luck! I know moving is hard work but in your case I think its worth it! Frugalmama, sometimes it seems like yr handyman friend is more trouble than friend. I hope you can get the watee fixed on your own.

Im enjoying a cup of apple cider with honey. My throat is sore and I have a touch of tmj. I really need a new pillow. My sil is supposed to give us a washer and dryer when she moves in a few weeks. I have never had my own dryer. I have a portable washer but I will probably give it away to my sister or a neighbor. Hubby has overtime today so we have a FEW spare dollars. Life is good here for the most part.

 

Glad to hear things are going well over there. Hope that throat gets to feeling better!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
 

somehow i overspent and my account is negative.  this is a slight problem.  i never make this mistake.  

guess i wont be leaving the house for weeks.  ugh.

 

im in a funk.. frack

 

That sucks! I've had that happen before too so I can understand the funk. :(

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowAsylum View Post
 

Ugh, we have backpay coming from the government, but somehow the post office decided to return it instead of delivering it.  All payments after this are direct deposit, but the cheques we NEED (of course) are now in limbo.  Bah, who cares?  It's only the deposit on the new house..... UGH!

 

Seriously? I bet they didn't decide to return bills for you. I hope this doesn't affect you being able to get the house. Maybe the checks will hurry up and get there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post

Ugh the affordable health care act is soooooo messed up. My income is too low! But I can be exempt of the penalties gee thanks government for showing me how valuable I am. Best to play Russian roulette and hope I die off because I am obviously not contribitimg to society by being a constant support system too my children whose ex pays child support and alimony like he should and alll. What a crock! My state didn't expand medicaid and my premium on my individual plan increased 16% as of jan 1ST. I AM HEALTHY AS A HORSE. I have been tested for many things for life insurance purposes and my levels are all in the best category possible.

End vent greensad.gif

 

Well I'm not surprised at the crap from the O-care. Not even going to touch on that issue other than to say I haven't gone near it and have zero plans to. I know that system isn't there to help me so not even gonna try. We haven't heard anything about our healthcare getting changed from it yet so hopefully we'll be okay but I'm not holding my breath either. My state also decided against expanding Medicaid... I mean heck why would they? We don't have enough workers or taxpayers in my state for that anyways. Is there a possibility of you changing to a different individual plan that might have better rates for you since the changes? I'd check into it. Hopefully you can find something.

 

 

 

Well things are ticking along here. DD(8) is home this afternoon not feeling good with a slight fever and leg pains. I really wish the doctor would hurry up and call with her latest blood work results! I'm working all weekend and hoping for some extra money. I need to start working on the transition to a new diet for DD's health so I'll be busy cooking and baking all weekend around work so I can hopefully manage her diet while dh is off at work and I'm home alone tending to 3 kids and working. Oh joy.

post #129 of 428

Happyhats - I totally agree with you about my handyman. I am about to cut ties with him & his family I think - I am tired of putting up with his issues {like him ALWAYS bringing his kids along when he works for me, and thus making the job take 3 times as long as his kids are little houligans who tend to make my dd cry}. I hate to do it though, as it's his wife that I get to take me to do big grocery runs every other month or so {even though I have to pay her for gas}.

 

Justmama - hope the move is going well! I'm sure your bum will look great after all those stairs, and your legs too!

 

 

Still here. Not quite as broke right now thanks to ebay sales. Going to try to work towards banking back $$$ to get the plumbing fixed after I tackle dealing with our property taxes & my CC. Should have my CC paid off next month I think {barring any emergencies}, then I can start tackling the property taxes.

 

I found a way to stretch our SNAP without going to the food pantry though! Our local grocery {HEB for those in TX} has a policy called "fresh or free". Basically if you find an out of date item on the shelf, take it & an unexpired one up to the register & you get the in-date one for free. I have been doing the hunt that last 3 times I shopped, and doing pretty good. Takes a couple hours in the store, but it pays off. Lots of cut fruit, bread, yogurt, milk and salad stuff. Sometimes meat but it's pretty rare. All the stuff we haven't been buying as it's too expensive unless we find it on clearance :) Never know what you're going to get though! Not sure what to do with the salad stuff {turnip greens & kale & cole slaw mix} as we are not salad people at all, especially with it being this cold. Only way I know to fix turnip greens is cooked with ham hocks - but we don't eat pork anymore. If I can't use it in a couple days though I will call a local group that feeds the homeless & see if they can pick up from me as they have in the past with free stuff, as I am right by one of their pickup sites anyways. I got hummus too today, but we are allergic so it will go to them for sure. My dd is really getting into doing it in the store - she likes to "help" me check dates & see what we get free. Between doing that, coupons, and buying clearance meat, we are doing quite a bit better for groceries and I'm not so worried about running out of SNAP half-way through the month.

post #130 of 428
Frugalmama, can you look into renting a car that every couple months? I know there is a rental service called zipcar esp for this. Otherwise just avoid the handyman services. If they ask tell them you have been able to do whats needed on your own or dont have money to spare right now.
post #131 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

Frugalmama, can you look into renting a car that every couple months? I know there is a rental service called zipcar esp for this. Otherwise just avoid the handyman services. If they ask tell them you have been able to do whats needed on your own or dont have money to spare right now.

 

I would rent a car in a heartbeat, but I can't drive for medical reasons. Probably will end up going the cab route which I hate - seems like I always get the creepiest male drivers. Would cost about the same as I've been paying as long as I stick with stores nearby.

post #132 of 428
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
 

 

I would rent a car in a heartbeat, but I can't drive for medical reasons. Probably will end up going the cab route which I hate - seems like I always get the creepiest male drivers. Would cost about the same as I've been paying as long as I stick with stores nearby.

just because you aren't using the husband, doesn't mean the friendship with the wife is ka-put. ya know?  If she is going to the store anyway, what's the big deal to coem and pick you up, shes been doing this for awhile it seems?   Just ask her next time and see what she says.

Husbands business is not related to wife's kindness ;)

post #133 of 428
Karma at work over here! Ive been giving a lot of stuff away and helped sil do some packing. Well, yesterday we had a headlight go out. So not only did we need to buythe light but we thought we were going to need to pay someone to actually switch it out bc dh couldnt get the cover off. Well valvoline did it for free! We always get our oil changed there and other services done, and we will def continue to do so. Seriously a load off bc we thought that would probably cost as much as the bulb!
post #134 of 428

That's great! I have a blinker out on the front of my van that I have to replace before dh leaves for work again. Got paid for babysitting again today and sorted out my schedule to pick up an extra day at work each week so yay! We have a winter storm coming in again and the kids are out of school for the next couple of days. Oh joy. This is really uncommon in my area so it's going to be an adventure for sure. I know how to prepare for a hurricane but not a winter storm. Yikes!

post #135 of 428

:(  Got my tax documents from the old house today.  Did my taxes and I'm only getting back $1K total.  I mean, don't get me wrong, it's more than I paid in and i'm grateful. But shoot, I had hoped this would be my way to get a new car.  Guess not.  I guess I'm going to end up trying to keep this one limping along for a while longer.  

 

We are all moved in.  I just have to go back to the old house to do garbage and clean but everything is out thankfully.  It was cra*y hard getting everything to the 3rd floor.  Now I have to finish unpacking boxes but we are mostly done.  I think I'm going to like this complex.  It's really lovely and clean and mostly quiet.  The bedrooms are too tiny for us(as in, my mattress is on the floor so there's enough room for my littlest girl's bed and they are 15inches apart) but the living room and kitchen are huge and wonderful.  

 

Financially I'm just struggling.  The move wasn't cheap with the uhaul and restocking the fridge of course.  And you always find all this stuff you need to buy that costs a ton of money.  I just feel like i'm bleeding out from my bank acct.  And the school is hassling me about littlest girl's vaccines since we delay vaccinate and she's still missing two.  I have to get everybody on the correct buses and find a home for my cats still.  I have to work this weekend and find childcare and a ride for my middle one who has a Girl Scout cookie booth sale to attend.  I just feel like I'm drowning.  It's so much.  I'm overwhelmed.  help.gif

 

Gratefuls:

 

-neighbor got the wrong cord for my dryer so it didn't get fixed today so she gave me her key and I am running two loads of laundry at her house right now.  Thank goodness.  Mt. Washmore was threatening to bury me.

 

-My walkthrough for the old house is Saturday so I will be done and rid of that place and have my security deposit back and be done with it.  

 

-an old neighbor came over to the old house this morning and she helped me take the last of the stuff to the new house and her husband will be helping me tomorrow with a heavy item of furniture to take to Salvation Army which is super helpful.  She's the best!

 

-the girl scout cookies are in so I'm snacking on a few peanut butter patties as we speak.  Yum!

 

-heat rises.  I'm on the third floor.  It's 15 degrees out actual and -2 with the wind chill today.  Just sayin.  :thumb

post #136 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
 

That's great! I have a blinker out on the front of my van that I have to replace before dh leaves for work again. Got paid for babysitting again today and sorted out my schedule to pick up an extra day at work each week so yay! We have a winter storm coming in again and the kids are out of school for the next couple of days. Oh joy. This is really uncommon in my area so it's going to be an adventure for sure. I know how to prepare for a hurricane but not a winter storm. Yikes!

Speaking as a New England-er, fill up the car with gas.  Keep bottled water and easy to prepare foods that don't need to be cooked on hand.  If you take meds, make sure you have enough for a week just in case.  If not, refill NOW.  Dig out everyone's warmest gear now.  Put the car at the end of the driveway so there's less to shovel when the plow plows you in.  Put blankets and snacks in your car if you have to go out anywhere and you could potentially get stuck.  Keep the electronics charged up, especially cell phones just in case the power goes out.  Stay safe and keep warm.  Gas stoves can be light with matches or lighters when the electronic ignitor goes out and you can boil water or cook on the stovetop.  Keep the fridge closed unless necessary to open or put food outside packed in snow to keep it from spoiling.  You'll be ookay.  We were without power for 4 days last year in below *ero temps and we got through it.  We have at least one good 18inch bli**ard every year plus multiple around a foot and lose power at least once.  It's no fun but if you prep like I listed above, that's your best chance to stay comfortable and prepared for it.  

post #137 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
 

:(  Got my tax documents from the old house today.  Did my taxes and I'm only getting back $1K total.  I mean, don't get me wrong, it's more than I paid in and i'm grateful. But shoot, I had hoped this would be my way to get a new car.  Guess not.  I guess I'm going to end up trying to keep this one limping along for a while longer.  

*snip*

 

I don't know if they have one in your area, but I know here they do, and it's a national program. There is a program {here I think it's called IDEA}, that matches $3 {or more} for every $1 you put in, towards buying a car, home, or college. Might help?

 

Glad to hear you are moved! Sorry on the tiny bedrooms though - if they have 3 bed places in the same complex I'd ask to be put on a wait list for one to open up, just in case plans of moving back out in a year don't work for some reason.

 

And yay for Girl Scout Cookies :) DD isn't selling this year. We ended up letting our GS memberships lapse this year - since she isn't part of a troop & we don't do council activities, I couldn't justify paying nearly $40 for what amounted to nothing. Tried to get assistance with dues but no luck.

post #138 of 428

Justmama I'm glad you got moved. I definitely get the overwhelmed feeling. I really hope things clear up soon for all of us. It's tough having so much going on at once and with financial worries on top of it things can get really stressful.

 

Thanks for the winter storm tips! It's not a *bad* storm but the area being unprepared to handle it makes it worse. We do have easy use food/drinks and a way to cook if power goes out as well as an inverter (sp?) to access some power like charging phones. My van is 3/4 full and the diesel truck has two full tanks and is our inverter power source if needed. All winter gear is out and we're using all electric until power goes out so we can conserve propane. I don't have to worry about plows sticking us in though since there aren't any! Our roads just get impassible since there's no way to clear them. All bridges are already closed and a roads are getting shut down by the minute. All schools are closed for a couple of days and most businesses. My sis went into work this morning and is now stranded so dh has gone to get her. It's not safe for her to be out with her car tires. I'll update once he gets her and gets home safely. Thanks for the help though. It's hard to think of what to do in a new situation although much of it isn't different than a hurricane I suppose. 

 

Gratefuls: 

- Being able to be prepared for the storm that came in. (and having online friends to tell me how! LOL)

- Having dh home for back up during this unexpected weather.

- Having enough money to get by even if it's not a lot. Extra work time coming in and babysitting job to make some extra to help us save to hopefully buy a small house in the somewhat near future. 

post #139 of 428

Dh got sis home safely and is back now. Now we lock in and wait it out. It's not turning out as bad as it was predicted to possibly be though so that's a good sign.

post #140 of 428
Thread Starter 

SO telling all you friends that its 75 and sunny would be considered 'rude'?  Windows are open and its a beautiful day.  ;)    I will remember this in July when its too hot to do anything.  

 

I am getting calm again.  Plans for tonight include being on the couch creating tihngs from yarn.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › 2014 Low Income Support Thread