or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › 2014 Low Income Support Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Low Income Support Thread - Page 5

post #81 of 433
If you put the girls in the master could the toys be put in your walk in closet? Or could you make a makeshift bedroom in the closet even? Of course that could drastically cut down on storage and the mgmt would frown on it probably. It looks like there is a lg closet in your bathroom too? While that wont help for sleeping arrangements it will help for storage. I dont think sleeping with the six yr old will be an issue unless you had company over. Really a six yr doesnt usually need space. I was just thinking of teen mood swings not making you crazy lol. Maybe you could do curtains on the bunk beds for an oasis? It looks really nice though and Im jealous its brand new lol!

As for here. One good thing about the pantry being bare is I was able to clean it up easily. Im trying to decide if I should get a new mattress for dd come tax time. Its only two yrs old but she has managed to tear a hole in the bottom. I mean a big gaping hole. Im thinking of letting it go a little longer though. Its always covered, theres nothing sharp poking out, and since the kids are still small their legs are nowhere near it. Then I feel like a neglectful parent. But I also think we need a new desktop, which the kids benefit a lot from. Our current one is basically a paperweight right now.
post #82 of 433

 I sometimes think we could have gotten a 2 bedroom but really in my area 895$ is about normal for even 2 bedrooms. There were some housing coalition apartments that were like 650 sq ft and right near the train tracks I think they were about 700$ each. My place is about 1400sq ft plus the 1 car garage which I was told not to park in and houses my extra stuff, my landlords extra stuff and the washer/dryer unit. But dd sleeps with me, so her small bedroom is unused as well, it just has her clothes her bed she will someday use and some of her toys. I have had more than one person comment on my rent amount, but I know other people who live in just as nice neighborhoods paying the same as me or more for less of a place. 

 

I am majorly pmsing and trying to stay calm about life in general. AF should be here any moment...

 

I returned an item to walmart so that was 10.85$ back in my pocket. Did some shopping at walmart and aldi and ended up sepending about 58$-10.85 I got back so 47$ and I also earned 2.50$ back on ibotta. I am really racking up the paypal with ibotta now that i have gotten into the hang of it. $12.50 this month total. I am hope to earn back 20$ a month. I also forgot about swagbucks which is really sad because i did most of my christmas shopping online and could have earned quite a bit back. I did have enough bucks for a 5$ amazon g/c I had forgotten i had used it for my straight talk account back in august. Now I have to remember to use it again when I need to refill. I turned in change at coinstar but only had 10.85$. got an amazon g/c so I can use it to pay for my praxis study materials. I also need a new printer! DD somehow broke it and I really need it for coupons and also my class and for resumes and things. I just don't want to pay the money for a new one and i have brand new ink cartidges for it that i just had payed 50$ for so I am going to have to find the cheapest one that will use the same ink cartiges because i cannot lose that 50$ in ink =(

post #83 of 433
Yay for a bright spot. Dh got an attendance bonus at work so we can stock up our pantry. Badly, badly needed.
post #84 of 433

I'd like to join in here. At the moment I'm No Income. 

 

I recently exited an abusive relationship. Ex managed to get temporary custody of our son, and with all the turmoil, my 8 year old daughter is living 2000 miles away with her father. Working on getting both of those things changed. 

 

I'm feeling blessed to have a free place to stay with the friend of an acquaintance through June. Hoping to find something of my own sooner than that of course, but having a warm, safe place to sleep is wonderful for now. I should be meeting with a domestic violence agency soon to see about transitional housing. Also trying to figure out income. I had planned to apply for SSDI for my son and myself, but with the custody battle that may not be my best bet. Hoping my son will be back with me soon, so I'm hesitant to get something fulltime (son's disability makes it unsafe for him to attend daycare), so I'm probably going to focus on childcare gigs, medical studies, etc for the time being. I've been a fulltime student online as well, but am probably going to take a term break until things are more stabilized. Right now my biggest expense is gas, since the place I arranged to stay is almost an hour south of the city where I had been living (and where my therapist, dr, visits with my son are). 

 

I got a storage unit for $50 a month for all my belongings. I'm trying to find a better cell phone plan since the one I have has really poor service out here. I still have food stamps from applying in November when my kids were with me, but need to call and report the changes. Applied for Medicaid back in September and kept hitting roadblocks. Need to call and check on the status of that yet again. I should look into the transit system more to save money on gas. This massive todo list, trying to get my life in order. One step at a time...

post #85 of 433

Ack, DH's payroll at work was messed up so we are about $400 short this paycheck (they didn't account for tax deductions).  But, other money should be coming in to make up the shortage soon.  I hope. 

We need to call to see if the car payment can come out on the 1st instead of this week though, there just isn't wiggle room to pay that with the shortfall and still pay everything else. Annoying, but hopefully they will be ok with a one time adjustment. 

We have requested deposit to our checking account for our downpayment on the house we are buying, so that will be a chunk of savings gone, then I have to decide what to do about moving. I don't have any really good furniture, and the move is a long one, so I am thinking of selling/pif-ing what I have and starting over at the other end, then using totes to ship things we want to take with us via greyhound freight (by far the cheapest approach here.)  I think it will be less than 10 totes, and a high quote was $50 each, but usually less (depending on weight.)  It would mean $500 to ship the must haves, then having to play catchup on the other end. However moving company quotes have been running well over $5000 and for that kind of money- I can get a lot of furniture on craigslist or through local secondhand stores. 

post #86 of 433

Rainbow I definitely think you'll be able to find furniture once you get moved. We're expecting a move later this year and we're doing the same thing with taking household items and ditching furniture because of expense. There are often posts for furniture FREE on craigslist and usually it can be found cheaply secondhand until it can be replaced. You don't really *need* much furniture to begin with either so that's a consideration - I'm thinking bed(s), couch, kitchen table and maybe a desk for us when we get moved to start. 

post #87 of 433

Still here, barely making it. We're behind on the water bill & internet bill yet again - pretty sure I'm going to have to start calling places to get help with the water bill in a couple weeks. It sounds terrible, but if I'm going to have to get help with the bill I'd rather make it count & get as much help as I can so that I might could not worry a while, KWIM? I'm trying to make it on ebay sales, but the sales just haven't been coming in & I have to pay the credit card with what has come in. I can't afford to lose the credit card right now - it's our safety net in addition to business capital. I would be doing okay except I'm dealing with ebay sales limits, and when I can only sell 12 things a month it's hard to make enough unless I can find some really high dollar things to sell. Have a couple of those listed, but nothing sold yet :( Hoping ebay lifts my sales limits to to something reasonable soon.

 

Waging war on my house this week - the mess was driving me up the wall. Trying to get it contained & then will donate a bunch of the yard sale stuff to the thrift shop after I go through for anything I think might possibly sell on ebay. Set dd to doing schoolwork that she can do pretty much on her own so that I can take the days & clean. Splurging for pizza tonight - half off Papa Johns :) Water Co has had our water shut off all day fixing pipes, so no dishes/ laundry got done.

 

Rainbow - what are your must-haves that you'd be moving? If they are books it would probably be cheaper to ship them media mail. Or check into freight costs - might be cheaper to stick it all in totes, then load them onto a pallet & ship it freight, especially if they are lightweight. Or try to find a private trucker going where you're moving & make them a deal - if it's not much it could go with another load. I have friends who do that when they are going back empty from a load - It's a little extra $$$ for them, and a big savings to the person moving.

post #88 of 433

Rainbow, are you able to hire a box trailer (from a nationwide company) and hook it up to your car? Or anyone you know able to do that (if you currently don't have a car)? It should easily fit the 10 totes and won't cost an arm and a leg. We've always moved our stuff this way. 

post #89 of 433

I looked into that, but the driving time is 48-50 hours, which will mean at least 6 days driving in reality. Which kicks the cost up considerably. 

post #90 of 433

Have you looked into Pod-style moving? We used Door to Door when we moved from Chicago to Seattle and it was about $1500 for one of their storage containers. UPack is also pretty cheap. 

post #91 of 433

Yes, unfortunately the area we are moving from, and the area we are moving to are quite rural.  So if the companies will even come here, it is a huge additional expense.  

But!  The money for the down payment has been released to our account, so now we get to go pay the down payment this week, and the house will be ours- though we won't take possession for another month or so.  

With the bit extra from that, and my tax return, we should have a decent 'starting over in a new place' fund.  All the furniture I have here has been purchased second hand- or very very inexpensively.  I feel like we are finally making some headway in the world, and I want to be able to pay forward some of the help we have had over the years. It isn't anything special, but I know someone can make use of some beds, a couch, a table and a few mismatched chairs and so on.  Maybe someone where we were when we arrived here, even.  

post #92 of 433

That's awesome you are able to close on the house! I hope you can figure out a reasonable way to get your stuff moved. I haven't really participated in this thread much over the years because we made more money at times and I didn't feel right about it. I wasn't going to really join now either since we were hopeful dh was getting a promotion that would definitely make us no longer low income but that didn't happen so I guess I probably belong here... forever lol. This is going to make our move later this year much for stressful but I think it will still be doable. On the upside though I did start keeping a baby during the day for a little extra and I've started getting a little more money at my pt job. I think dh should get a slight raise in 2 months as well even without the promotion so that'll help some also. 

post #93 of 433

Hi everyone...Hope everyone is doing okay...I am doing ok...Day by Day is my motto....it has been hard going on without Dad but it helps to know he isn't in pain anymore...Life continues whether you want it too or not....

 

I have gone back to work but I failed my class..But it is okay because I wouldn't change spending that time with my dad for anything...They probably won't call me back next year but I am already looking for another job...I am not keeping little man anymore so I lost that little extra and it has been hard...every little bit was going for something...

 

I am just waiting on pins and needles for my W2's to come so I can pay my car insurance for the year and catch up on my gas bill...I hate being so behind... guilty.gif Never again will I go with a car insurance company that won't let me pay annually...EVER....it has been a hard year keeping that paid...

 

Thank you all for your kind words when my dad died...I was reading but not posting much...

post #94 of 433

Mylie I'm glad you didn't lose your job although losing that extra money is tough. I'm keeping my nephew for a little extra money but I'm not getting to keep him as much as I thought I would. My sis in law did apply for a job (I'm keeping him for her to take classes right now) so I'll get more babysitting time if she does get it. Oh and Mylie I'm not sure where you get your insurance but I got mine through an insurance broker and found it a LOT cheaper that way. They ran it through about 13 different companies they work with and I got insurance half price that way! Not sure where you are but in case they're available to you the two companies that I got the cheapest prices from were Safeway and ACCC. I'm also renewing my insurance when taxes come in. 

post #95 of 433

What a rough start to the year everyone is having!  :(  I wish I could win the lottery and help all of you.  It's heartbreaking to listen to everyone struggle and be so powerless.

 

 

We actually have a bright spot.  This apartment is going to change our lives.  I got word yesterday from the complex that my rent will be $623 per month as compared to the $945 I'm paying now.  I'll keep both my babysitting jobs thankfully and my retail job is safe.  Already talked to both families and they are fine with the change even though since we aren't neighbors it's a little less convenient.  So my finances will stay the same but I'll have over $300 less I'm paying in bills plus my utilities will be low because of the rental assistance.  So we can actually heat the house to keep us warm.  WHAT????   Insane.  

 

So I'm trying to use up the food in the fridge and free*er and transfer only pantry goods to the new house.  And I'm packing little by little into boxes.  Thank goodness there's 3 liquor stores within a 5 minute drive to get free boxes.  Other than that, just keeping busy.  We live pretty minimally but I've already taken 4 car loads of crap to Salvation Army and filled my neighbor's garbage bin once in prep for this move.  It's ama*ing how much we acquire after living in a place for 3 years.  

 

Gratefuls:

 

-my new apartment and it's cheap rent and brand new EVERYTHING.  I almost cried when the lady told me the rent.  I'll be able to pay my bills for the first time in 7 years.  

 

-several people have offered to help me move

 

-my kids are doing okay with the move so far

 

-my ex MAY be able to take my cats which would mean I could have them back in a year when I can get a place better than this when finances are better.  I'm crossing my fingers.  That would be the best case scenario.

 

-my apartment has a nice balcony which will be great in the summer for growing a small container garden.  I don't have to give up gardening!

post #96 of 433

Here I am again, not keeping up. i'm just too overwhelmed to keep up with online groups =( I hope yall don't mind me popping in when I need to. 

 

Update, I am 5 weeks pregnant, EDD Sep 19th. And somewhere between ovulation and the positive test, my husbands boss fired him for absolutely no reason. Literally would not tell him when he had been doing so well. Turns out this podunk town jerk hired a family member who would do the job cheaper. So, here we are. I start school in two days and accepting all my loans so we can get a vehicle with a back seat and pay a few bills.

 

I actually have a question though. My almost two year old has been crying all day. We had a bad night last night but I notice she is so much crankier lately. She is crying no matter what we do today. She seems uncomfortable. Also, for the past 3-4 months her bowel movements cause severe rashes. I thought that maybe since we've been potty learning and using panties more her skin has become more sensitive to it but along with the constant crankiness, it's making me wonder. What do you ladies think? Over worrying? Would you be concerned too? Maybe go to the doctor and see about food allergy testing?

post #97 of 433
Im praying and virtually hugging all our mamas too. Thankfully with hubbys attendance bonus we were able to fully stock our pantry and freezer. Our chest freezer is empty and unplugged still and probably will be until spring. But thats okay bc I hope to fill it over growing season with all the u pick produce we can afford.
post #98 of 433

crunchymonkey, I'd take her to the doctor for testing. Congrats on your pregnancy even though it's come at a bit of a financially difficult time. Shortly after my dh lost his job, I found out I was pregnant too. Mixed emotions but I've always thought children never come at the "right" time anyway. Let us know how your daughter gets along. 

post #99 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

Im praying and virtually hugging all our mamas too. Thankfully with hubbys attendance bonus we were able to fully stock our pantry and freezer. Our chest freezer is empty and unplugged still and probably will be until spring. But thats okay bc I hope to fill it over growing season with all the u pick produce we can afford.

 

Thanks for the virtual hugs - I for one needed them today. And YAY for stocked pantry & freezer.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymonkey View Post
 

Here I am again, not keeping up. i'm just too overwhelmed to keep up with online groups =( I hope yall don't mind me popping in when I need to. 

 

Update, I am 5 weeks pregnant, EDD Sep 19th. And somewhere between ovulation and the positive test, my husbands boss fired him for absolutely no reason. Literally would not tell him when he had been doing so well. Turns out this podunk town jerk hired a family member who would do the job cheaper. So, here we are. I start school in two days and accepting all my loans so we can get a vehicle with a back seat and pay a few bills.

 

I actually have a question though. My almost two year old has been crying all day. We had a bad night last night but I notice she is so much crankier lately. She is crying no matter what we do today. She seems uncomfortable. Also, for the past 3-4 months her bowel movements cause severe rashes. I thought that maybe since we've been potty learning and using panties more her skin has become more sensitive to it but along with the constant crankiness, it's making me wonder. What do you ladies think? Over worrying? Would you be concerned too? Maybe go to the doctor and see about food allergy testing?

 

Congrats on the new little one coming :) And I would take your dd to the Dr. - could be an allergy, could be something else.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
 

What a rough start to the year everyone is having!  :(  I wish I could win the lottery and help all of you.  It's heartbreaking to listen to everyone struggle and be so powerless.

 

 

We actually have a bright spot.  This apartment is going to change our lives.  I got word yesterday from the complex that my rent will be $623 per month as compared to the $945 I'm paying now.  I'll keep both my babysitting jobs thankfully and my retail job is safe.  Already talked to both families and they are fine with the change even though since we aren't neighbors it's a little less convenient.  So my finances will stay the same but I'll have over $300 less I'm paying in bills plus my utilities will be low because of the rental assistance.  So we can actually heat the house to keep us warm.  WHAT????   Insane.  

 

So I'm trying to use up the food in the fridge and free*er and transfer only pantry goods to the new house.  And I'm packing little by little into boxes.  Thank goodness there's 3 liquor stores within a 5 minute drive to get free boxes.  Other than that, just keeping busy.  We live pretty minimally but I've already taken 4 car loads of crap to Salvation Army and filled my neighbor's garbage bin once in prep for this move.  It's ama*ing how much we acquire after living in a place for 3 years.  

 

Gratefuls:

 

-my new apartment and it's cheap rent and brand new EVERYTHING.  I almost cried when the lady told me the rent.  I'll be able to pay my bills for the first time in 7 years.  

 

-several people have offered to help me move

 

-my kids are doing okay with the move so far

 

-my ex MAY be able to take my cats which would mean I could have them back in a year when I can get a place better than this when finances are better.  I'm crossing my fingers.  That would be the best case scenario.

 

-my apartment has a nice balcony which will be great in the summer for growing a small container garden.  I don't have to give up gardening!

 

Justmama - I am so happy to hear about your apt! And yay for lower rent!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie View Post
 

Hi everyone...Hope everyone is doing okay...I am doing ok...Day by Day is my motto....it has been hard going on without Dad but it helps to know he isn't in pain anymore...Life continues whether you want it too or not....

 

I have gone back to work but I failed my class..But it is okay because I wouldn't change spending that time with my dad for anything...They probably won't call me back next year but I am already looking for another job...I am not keeping little man anymore so I lost that little extra and it has been hard...every little bit was going for something...

 

I am just waiting on pins and needles for my W2's to come so I can pay my car insurance for the year and catch up on my gas bill...I hate being so behind... guilty.gif Never again will I go with a car insurance company that won't let me pay annually...EVER....it has been a hard year keeping that paid...

 

Thank you all for your kind words when my dad died...I was reading but not posting much...

 

Mylie - *hugs* Is there any way you could ask for the opportunity to take the class again, on account of extenuating family circumstances?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowAsylum View Post
 

But!  The money for the down payment has been released to our account, so now we get to go pay the down payment this week, and the house will be ours- though we won't take possession for another month or so.  

With the bit extra from that, and my tax return, we should have a decent 'starting over in a new place' fund.  All the furniture I have here has been purchased second hand- or very very inexpensively.  I feel like we are finally making some headway in the world, and I want to be able to pay forward some of the help we have had over the years. It isn't anything special, but I know someone can make use of some beds, a couch, a table and a few mismatched chairs and so on.  Maybe someone where we were when we arrived here, even.  

 

WTG on the down payment! And I agree on the blessing other folks idea. It is lovely to be able to bless someone else for a change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
 

That's awesome you are able to close on the house! I hope you can figure out a reasonable way to get your stuff moved. I haven't really participated in this thread much over the years because we made more money at times and I didn't feel right about it. I wasn't going to really join now either since we were hopeful dh was getting a promotion that would definitely make us no longer low income but that didn't happen so I guess I probably belong here... forever lol. This is going to make our move later this year much for stressful but I think it will still be doable. On the upside though I did start keeping a baby during the day for a little extra and I've started getting a little more money at my pt job. I think dh should get a slight raise in 2 months as well even without the promotion so that'll help some also. 

 

Welcome!

 

 

I'm plugging along. I made a mama sanity decision & spent most of my meager earnings on throw-away cups, plates, bowls and silverware to use for the next week or so. Used SNAP to buy no-mess meals. With our plumbing issues, I can either do laundry OR run the dishwasher - not both in 1 day unless spaced very far apart & not back to back days either or the water backs up into the house. I was sooooooo far behind in laundry that it was really grating on me & preventing me getting the house clean. I still have a bunch more to do, and then a trip with all the big / bulky stuff to the laundromat when I can afford it, but it's getting there.

 

Greatfuls:

 

~Ebay sales. FINALLY having sales roll in! I think I might even make enough to cover the net bill & maybe part of the water bill.

~DD being helpful & getting her schoolwork done without too much arguing.

~A bunch of free kindle books for both me & dd - these will keep her busy during my upcoming appointments.

~full pantry & fridge

~Warm weather - we've had daily highs around 70 this past week and it's wonderful to only need heat at night until bedtime, and then we can coast with warm PJ's & blankets until morning.

~The water company FINALLY came out & fixed our leaky meter {leak was on their side}. So no more puddle & mosquito breeding pool!

post #100 of 433
Thread Starter 

Oh frugal mamam- you gotta get the water fixed.  we do so much laundry and dishes and showers here there is no way I could function with out water. (DS is on swim team and that alone is one load of laundry a day plus a shower for him).

 

I did ebay in december and didnt realize the 'fees'.. OMG the fees. like 25% on everything, inlcuding shipping.  then paypal fees.  So NOT worth it.  Good thing I only sold high $$ lego's so I made decent $$ even after fees but next year I need a different plan.  Either facebook local sales or craigslist or something.  

 

My mental state is whacked out and all I seem to do is panic.  January s*cks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › 2014 Low Income Support Thread