or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › VBAC › Anyone had a VBAC against Dr/ hospital advice? AKA very hostile birthing environment...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone had a VBAC against Dr/ hospital advice? AKA very hostile birthing environment...

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

I know I CAN refuse consent for a RCS and what that entails, but just wondering if anyone here has done it and how it went. 

 

I am planning a VBAC in April and it will be *extremely* against the wishes, advice, judgement etc of my OB and the hospital. My OB does VBACs and my hospital doesn't have a ban, but I have many multiple c/s's and they are not willing to even discuss VBAMC. 

 

At this point (25 weeks) I have made it clear I would have a VBAC if I could and won't consent to a RCS before labor begins- as in I won't schedule one). I have not told my OB that I will be refusing a c/s when in labor as I can't risk them refusing my care (I actually really like my OB in every other regard and don't want a hostile prenatal care relationship with her) or chancing them doing anything crazy like CPS etc beforehand. 

 

I have a doula, a very supportive husband and as much knowledge as possible. I have had previous vaginal birth so not concerned about the process itself. I *wish* home birth was an option but in my stupid state NO midwife will attend a HBAC (trust me, I've tried) and as you can see from my signature line traveling to a state for a Dr who will support VBAMC is not an option. I'm kinda busy. ;) 

 

So I guess I just wondered if anyone has done this, how combative and hostile the Dr's/ staff were in labor and how it went. I am nervous about that part of it. Or any more advice on how to prepare and plan.....? 

 

Thanks for reading!

post #2 of 6

I have not personally gone through this but I am on a very active VBAC Facebook page with 2500+ members and I know it has been discussed many times there.  I also know there are women there who had this same plan and have been given c-sections without consent and against their will :(((  If you want the link to that group let me know and I'll post it.

 

I think having a good support team will be key since you will be busy!  I would just try to plan for every possible scenario.  Labor at home or in the hospital parking lot as long as possible.  In addition to a doula I would probably try and find a monitrice to keep tabs on the baby if you do decide to labor elsewhere. 

 

Good luck!

post #3 of 6

Have you discussed the concerns about VBAMCs with your doctor, especially with regard to your personal situation, i.e. your individual risks, fears, and preferences? I don't have any specific advice, but I hope you can find some common ground and a workable solution, especially since you already have a good relationship with your OB. Best wishes!

post #4 of 6

The only thing I can offer you is to say that if I were you, I would not show up to the hospital until a little tiny head was already sticking out of my vagina.

 

I planned a VBA1C and was fired from the OB practice.  Found a FSBC 3 hrs away, she sent me to a hospital for a NST and they forced a RCS by making a psych report.  It was either have the damn surgery or watch my baby be pulled from my birth canal and then be handed to a foster family.  I support a woman's right to vaginal birth, just be careful!

post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana Sylvestris View Post
 

Have you discussed the concerns about VBAMCs with your doctor, especially with regard to your personal situation, i.e. your individual risks, fears, and preferences? I don't have any specific advice, but I hope you can find some common ground and a workable solution, especially since you already have a good relationship with your OB. Best wishes!

No. I have decided that in my case the better thing is to say absolutely nothing at all. I knew going in that it would never be 'allowed'. This is the only hospital in a 60-90min radius (I live in rural NC) and the most pro-VBAC one within 2-3 hrs. At this point my OB thinks I am going to have a RCS at the onset of labor and that I won't pre-consent to one or schedule one. She does know that I wish I didn't have to have a RCS and that I am very naturally minded in terms of pregnancy, childbirth, parenting etc. But no, I have never ever said that I will be attempting a VBAC or refusing a RCS. 

 

My reasons for this are: its not going to do anything. There is no way they will ever, ever give me permission in advance. All that will happen is that things will get very nasty, possibly combative and then lengthens the time frame for all kinds of worst case scenario possibilities like CPS, court orders etc. Also, I feel like it will break down our trust level in terms of pregnancy care. Unfortunately, while I do totally trust my OBGYN, she works in a large practice and I am 110% sure that there will be other OB's on staff who will do everything they can to prevent this. I already had a very disturbing run-in with the staff MFM simply because of my family size and how I NEEDED a hysterectomy because "no uterus can possibly sustain that many pregnancies and be OK afterwards". 

 

I hate that I am in this position, but I am hoping that it goes smoothly and easily. 

post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
 

The only thing I can offer you is to say that if I were you, I would not show up to the hospital until a little tiny head was already sticking out of my vagina.

 

I planned a VBA1C and was fired from the OB practice.  Found a FSBC 3 hrs away, she sent me to a hospital for a NST and they forced a RCS by making a psych report.  It was either have the damn surgery or watch my baby be pulled from my birth canal and then be handed to a foster family.  I support a woman's right to vaginal birth, just be careful!

This is my biggest fear. Im so sorry that this happened to you. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. xxx

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: VBAC
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › VBAC › Anyone had a VBAC against Dr/ hospital advice? AKA very hostile birthing environment...