Public service announcement here. As probably all of you know, I am/was a nurse. Most things don't really worry me bc I've seen the worst of the worst. However, this season's flu uptick is something I find alarming.
It's the H1N1 strain - aka Swine Flu. The same one that came around in 2009 and was especially harmful to young people and pregnant women.
I posted an account of my experience with it over in the pregnancy forum...
TIPS for FLU PREVENTION:
- Stay out of busy public places as much as possible.
- Breathe through your nose (NOT your mouth).
- If you see someone sneezing or coughing, turn around and get out of there for at least 10 minutes.
- Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 15 seconds, using lots of friction. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean hand towel (not the blow dryers). You may have to carry your own towels.
- Be careful about touching your face with your hands. If you must and you can’t clean your hands first, use a tissue as a barrier.