or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › 2014 Book Challenge Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Book Challenge Thread - Page 2

post #21 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
 

 

Oh, NW by Zadie Smith?  That's on my list!  It was on my short list for suggestions to my book club last meeting, but we went with something else instead.  Wasn't super awesome?

 

 

NW was very good, but I just realized I wasn't in the mood for it. It had a little bleakness in the slice of life vignettes and I was just in a place where I wanted more happy endings and less true to life, y'know? I'd recommend it, though. It did take me a few pages to get used to her style.

 

Ive been reading more since then, but I'll have to update later. Got to get ready for an ice-skating birthday party today.

post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
 

 

NW was very good, but I just realized I wasn't in the mood for it. It had a little bleakness in the slice of life vignettes and I was just in a place where I wanted more happy endings and less true to life, y'know? I'd recommend it, though. It did take me a few pages to get used to her style.

 

Ive been reading more since then, but I'll have to update later. Got to get ready for an ice-skating birthday party today.

 

Totallly understand that feeling!  Sometimes it's just not the right time for a book, even if it's a good one.  

post #23 of 31

Started reading one of my grandpa's books. It's very good so far. Need to start one of his kids' books with my kids before we take our trip.

post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
 

 

NW was very good, but I just realized I wasn't in the mood for it. It had a little bleakness in the slice of life vignettes and I was just in a place where I wanted more happy endings and less true to life, y'know? I'd recommend it, though. It did take me a few pages to get used to her style.

 

Ive been reading more since then, but I'll have to update later. Got to get ready for an ice-skating birthday party today.


I hear you! I have been looking for happy endings or non-true-to-life stuff myself, both in books and movies/tv. We're so innundated with the bad stuff.

post #25 of 31
Thread Starter 

I used to make myself finish books because I thought I ought to, but I dropped the martyr act and now I just finish them if I like them. I would recommend NW, it just wasn't the right time for me.

 

Lately I have been reading Alice Hoffman and Charles De Lint. I seem to be going on a bit of a magic realism/urban fantasy/what do you call it kick. I've always been drawn to slightly magical stories, but not really full-on sci-fi, fantasy since I was a teen. I like the ones where the protagonist has a foot in the real world too. 

post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
 

I used to make myself finish books because I thought I ought to, but I dropped the martyr act and now I just finish them if I like them. I would recommend NW, it just wasn't the right time for me.

 

Lately I have been reading Alice Hoffman and Charles De Lint. I seem to be going on a bit of a magic realism/urban fantasy/what do you call it kick. I've always been drawn to slightly magical stories, but not really full-on sci-fi, fantasy since I was a teen. I like the ones where the protagonist has a foot in the real world too. 

 

I gave up making myself finish books too.  I give it about 50 pages, and if it's not working, I let it go.  Life's too short to read books you don't like!  

post #27 of 31

Read one of the recent Newbery Honor books, "Paperboy," and really liked it.  The main character has a stutter, which is unique.  It was done very well; the author also stutters and mentioned that the book was part fiction and part memoir.  I would love to know which was which.  

 

Amy

post #28 of 31

I finally read "Divergent" this last week.  I enjoyed it; it was nice to have a quick read.  It wasn't the best example of YA dystopian fiction, but fun anyways.  

 

Amy

post #29 of 31

Divergent has been on my list forever!  One of these days.......  :wink

post #30 of 31

Ok, first I am turning my earlier reads into a list so it is easier to keep track.  

 

1. Fangirl

2.  Kizzy Ann Stamps

3.  Liesel & Po

4.  Tell the Wolves I'm Home

5.  Paper Boy

6.  Divergent

 

 

7.  Insurgent

8.  The Grimm Collection

 

The Insurgent and The Grimm Collection have been my latest reads.  Insurgent, of course, is book two of the Divergent trilogy.  It is still just not a great example of dystopian fiction.  I will finish it out though, but I am disappointed so far.  The Grimm Collection was a fun read.  It was for my 11 year old dds book club.  It isn't written particularly well, but I enjoyed it anyways.  It is fun to think about which magical object (from the Grimm tales) you would want to borrow from a library.  The book wraps up at the end, but I think it also left it possible for a sequel.

 

Currently though, I am reading Emma (Jane Austen).  I haven't ever read it before, and was needing something different.  

 

Amy

post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
 

Ok, first I am turning my earlier reads into a list so it is easier to keep track.  

 

1. Fangirl

2.  Kizzy Ann Stamps

3.  Liesel & Po

4.  Tell the Wolves I'm Home

5.  Paper Boy

6.  Divergent

7.  Insurgent

8.  The Grimm Collection

 

I forgot about 

9.  The Coldest One in Coldtown -- I didn't care for this book very much.  I thought that I remembered people talking it up when it came out.  I just finished it because I was sure it would get better.  I did like the ending, but it was just not my style of book. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Books, Music, and Media
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › 2014 Book Challenge Thread