or Connect
Mothering › Groups › September 2014 Due Date Club › Discussions › Hydration

Hydration

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

This past week I am having a hard time keeping up with proper hydration.  Normally this is effortless for me, but with the queasy/ickiness I just don't want anything much to drink.  Reading various posts where people talk about what they're drinking (or eating) I often find that there's definite power in suggestion. 

 

I've tried a number of things:

water (both room temp and cold)

iced tea (decaf)

chocolate milk

mexican coke

coke caffeine free

ginger ale

fresh squeezed OJ

fresh squeezed lemonade

koolaid

tang

apple juice

smoothies

 

Right now I'm just not taking well to any of them... it's as if they make me feel really full even after a few sips.  Any ideas or suggestions? 

post #2 of 21
I totally know what you mean. I am 4 weeks only but most of the day felt like I just finished a 10 course meal. I am so bloated don't want to put anything in my mouth.
post #3 of 21
Maybe some soup? Homemade soup sounds really good to me right now.
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 

Motivated - Funny I didn't really think about that.  Soup is a part of my normal diet... I actually make soups all the time.  Unfortunately though, they're in the same category this week of stuff I just don't want.

 

Last week I made such a basic soup it's ridiculous.  I had been eating outright crap, so I wanted to supplement with some veggies.  I put broccoli, cauliflower, yellow and orange carrots, onions and corn in a pot and covered them with chicken broth.  I was surprised how simple but good it was.  Of course I ate like 100 Ritz crackers with it, but that's beside the point.  At least it wasn't Taco Bell or Cheetohs!

post #5 of 21

Coconut water? Frozen liquids? Cucumbers?

post #6 of 21
I am the same exact way. I normally have a water bottle glued to my side at all times. Drinking 6-8 a day. Plus fresh juice. Now, I can barely get down 2 glasses of water a day. So frustrating! My husband brought me home a lemonade from chick fil a and I drank most of it but it's still not water, which is what my body really needs. I'm 6 1/2 weeks. And I'm with motivated mama, soup sounds SO good right now. Sometimes I wish my mom wasn't 3 hours away haha her soup is the best.
post #7 of 21
Also: what about smoothies? I've found they are the easiest way to get tons of nutrients down in a liquid form.
post #8 of 21

I realize that nobody is going to feel like doing this right now but it's what I normally do and it makes my life easier.

 

I have a 20 quart stock pot and I fill it about 2/3 of the way with bones - either bones leftover from roasted chickens (with some chicken feet for richness and good gelling) or some beef marrow bones and then fill to about an inch with water and a long pour of apple cider vinegar. I bring it to a boil and then turn it down to simmer for 12-36 hours. (I simmer beef bones for about 36 hrs & chicken for about 24.) Then I strain out the bones, let the stock cool and measure out 2 cup measurements and freeze in containers. 3 cups is just the right portion if I want to make rice (we don't eat if often but when we do, I cook it in stock, not water.) And if I feel like soup, I can just toss a couple of containers of stock in a pot and add some veggies, cooked meat, whatever.

 

Sometimes we just crave chicken stock with a little salt and a squeeze of lime (add some coconut milk and some chicken and it's a delicious meal!)

 

And I love smoothies! Especially kale with a little frozen mango - yum!

post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
 

I realize that nobody is going to feel like doing this right now but it's what I normally do and it makes my life easier.

 

I have a 20 quart stock pot and I fill it about 2/3 of the way with bones - either bones leftover from roasted chickens (with some chicken feet for richness and good gelling) or some beef marrow bones and then fill to about an inch with water and a long pour of apple cider vinegar. I bring it to a boil and then turn it down to simmer for 12-36 hours. (I simmer beef bones for about 36 hrs & chicken for about 24.) Then I strain out the bones, let the stock cool and measure out 2 cup measurements and freeze in containers. 3 cups is just the right portion if I want to make rice (we don't eat if often but when we do, I cook it in stock, not water.) And if I feel like soup, I can just toss a couple of containers of stock in a pot and add some veggies, cooked meat, whatever.

 

Sometimes we just crave chicken stock with a little salt and a squeeze of lime (add some coconut milk and some chicken and it's a delicious meal!)

 

And I love smoothies! Especially kale with a little frozen mango - yum!


I am curious, what does the apple cider vinegar do? 

post #10 of 21

It pulls (leaches) the minerals from the bones. Bone broth is one of the most mineral-rich foods! Great for teeth, bones and growing babies. :)

post #11 of 21
I am hating water too right now... Our ice tea (in Canada) is basically flavored sugar water which was all I could drink when I was sick last month but now? Nope.

The best thing right now? Those Vitamin Water things (the ones without artificial sweetener), I drink the lemon ones and you can only have two a day but they are the only thing going down great. I am drinking water on top of it and yesterday I also had a smoothie but at least I can feel like I'm getting hydrated and the added vitamins aren't bad either wink1.gif
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 

I ended up putting a jar of peaches in the fridge.  Once it got cold I ate a few peaches and drank all the peach juice!  Although wet, it's obviously high sugar... I considered posting this on the confessions page instead!  Wow it was good though.

post #13 of 21

Homemade popsicles made like smoothie then frozen.  This is my fave in hotter months made with melons.  YUM.  Mineral water and ginger brew (by ginger people)  are my go to drinks for a yucky belly.  Celery with nut butter, or cream cheese, or salad dressing.  Cucumbers too.  NO TO SODA!!!  I make a mineral water and juice mixture when I have that kind of craving, and it does the trick.. Oh, and an OJ, ginger brew mocktail with lime is divine :)  Just plain warm broth is also soothing and yummy- with crackers or a crusty loaf of course!

post #14 of 21

If you can find something that tastes good, consider diluting it with water? (I've been doing that with juice, and in the past have done it with sweet pickle juice (yes, I'm odd))

post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 

I'm still not in the mood to consume fluids... not by drinking or by soups or high water content foods.

 

Knowing how important this is, I decided to just go commando and force myself to pound 10oz of water as soon as I wake up in the morning, then again midday.

My ongoing nausea is such that I never actually vomit... so I figured I'd test its limits.  I did get the water down and although it makes me feel icky for 15 mins or so, it does pass and I can get on with things. 

The additional 20oz puts me at right around 60oz of drinks for the day.

 

For my all-day drink I'm back to really cold, watery decaf sweet tea (iced) and at least it's not offending me.  It's not great, but I'm sipping... yay!

 

Also, I had some pudding for dessert last night.  It's not much but it counts!

post #16 of 21

Ugh, I can't keep up with the water either! I know I need more because my skin is just crying out for moisture. Lately, fluids just make me sloshy enough to vomit, so I've been craving "solid" forms of hydration. Honeydew melon, berries, yogurt, clementines, shelf stable milk (I can't down the other ones for some reason anymore), and Japanese summer rolls (they're rice paper wraps with lettuce, cucumber, carrots, pickled GINGER and shrimp, and you top them off with sweet chili sauce mmmm). I can't wait until watermelon comes back in season!! I found this list of water content in fruits and vegetables that some might find interesting :)

 

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/enri/pubs/enri129.pdf

post #17 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragolina View Post
 

Ugh, I can't keep up with the water either! I know I need more because my skin is just crying out for moisture. Lately, fluids just make me sloshy enough to vomit, so I've been craving "solid" forms of hydration. Honeydew melon, berries, yogurt, clementines, shelf stable milk (I can't down the other ones for some reason anymore), and Japanese summer rolls (they're rice paper wraps with lettuce, cucumber, carrots, pickled GINGER and shrimp, and you top them off with sweet chili sauce mmmm). I can't wait until watermelon comes back in season!! I found this list of water content in fruits and vegetables that some might find interesting :)

 

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/enri/pubs/enri129.pdf

fragolina - that link has some great info!  I never would've imagined that bananas or all those veggies have so much water.  Thx for sharing!

post #18 of 21

During my last pregnancy I tried to drink a lot of red raspberry leaf tea, it tasted like dirt to me. I ended up making it like sun tea but i chopped up some cubes of fresh ginger and put some slices of orange in it and it was delightful! I might have put some honey or maple sugar in it too... but it kept me drinking fluids!

post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcimama View Post
 

During my last pregnancy I tried to drink a lot of red raspberry leaf tea, it tasted like dirt to me. I ended up making it like sun tea but i chopped up some cubes of fresh ginger and put some slices of orange in it and it was delightful! I might have put some honey or maple sugar in it too... but it kept me drinking fluids!


You and me both, Marcimama! I couldn't force down RRLT no matter what. But nettle leaf tea makes a tasty green tea that has that "iced tea" taste without the tannic bite of real tea. It's quite drinkable, unlike many tisanes. And nettle leaf was one of the things my midwife recommended for building the blood, general nutrition, etc. Since I liked the taste way better than any of the pregnancy tea blends at the store, and absolutely hated RRLT enough that I didn't care how good it was supposed to be for me, I had nettle instead.

 

Hibiscus blossoms make a lovely deep red tart punch of sorts, that I sweeten with stevia... it's basically Jamaica (ha-MY-kah). Adding lemon and lime juice and seltzer makes it like a form of sangria I can actually have, and a nice treat beverage for after the kids are asleep and DH and I can have some us time. But some people don't like oversteeped hibiscus, so if that's the case with you, you can try steeping less long. I make "red" popsicles for the kids in summer with it, and when not pg, a nice dye-free, junk-free Grenadine for a nice drink, for myself!

 

The ginger and orange sounds wonderful, too!

post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 

Tried lemonade from Chick-fil-A today.  It was so tasty, but gave me an achy stomach 10 mins later even with food.  Darn that lemon effect!

 

Oddly I have found drinking cold water from a bottle (vs a glass) goes down way easier.  Must be the straight shot down my throat that improves it.  

Something so minute... it makes me wonder about how much of this is mental!!

Mothering › Groups › September 2014 Due Date Club › Discussions › Hydration