I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the difference between a Canadian, and an USA midwife? Do the USA midwifes carry malpractice insurance?
Related Forum Threads
- Maternidad La Luz Last post on 4/9/14 at 7:11am in Midwives
- PEP route? Last post on 3/31/14 at 7:58pm in Midwives
- Support through NMI program?! Last post on 3/17/14 at 4:25pm in Midwives
- Questions about becoming a CPM Last post on 1/10/14 at 4:35pm in Midwives
- Becoming a Midwife Last post on 2/7/14 at 12:34pm in Midwives
Black Women DO VBAC!- An Interview With Birth Activist, Melek Speros
Last edited: 11/14/13
- Director of Birth Story on Mothering While FilmmakingLast edited: 10/3/13
- The Birth Center Study- Hope For Lowering the Cesarean RateLast edited: 2/1/13
- honoring midwives . . . and Peggy!Last edited: 3/11/13
- scenes from a conference, part 3Last edited: 3/11/13
What's the difference?post #2 of 41/15/14 at 10:11ampost #3 of 41/17/14 at 11:39amThe US does not a have national certification for midwives who arent' CNM's. The laws vary by state. Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM's) generally work in hospitals with doctors and I imagine they would have malpractice insurance that way. I live in California and we have CPM's, Certified Professional Midwives. They are certified through the state board of nursing I believe. I don't know if they have malpractice insurance, but it seems like they would. In some states, it is illegal for midwives to attend homebirths so there is no recognized certification.post #4 of 41/26/14 at 12:29pm
Canadian Registered Midwives are legal and authorized to practice in all provinces.
American Nurse-Midwives are legal and authorized to practice in all states.
American Certified Professional Midwives are legally authorized to practice in 28 states.
"Other" (direct-entry, lay, etc) midwives - those who attend births but do not hold a credential - are allowed to practice in a handful of states.
The question: Do midwives in the US carry malpractice insurance? depends on many different factors - some states require malpractice insurance for CNMs and CPMs. Others do not.
Most of the time, a CNM employed in a hospital setting will be required to carry malpractice insurance either by state licensure or hospital policy.
Very few states that license CPMs require malpractice insurance. Florida is one state that I know of that has this requirement.
Most CPMs provide birth services in out-of-hospital settings: birth centers or homes. I am venturing a guess that most CPMs do not carry malpractice insurance. But that is just my guess.
- Director of Birth Story on Mothering While Filmmaking
- › HOLY SH#$%¥*T! We are due next month - April Chat Thread : ) 3 minutes ago
- › Caffeine? 4 minutes ago
- › Fres Start 5 minutes ago
- › ~*~The TTC ONE Thread~*~April 2014 6 minutes ago
- › Group Highlight reel :) 9 minutes ago
- › High Needs Toddler, Mama with Depression, Family Planning 10 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- Worm Moon 10 minutes ago
- › Confessions 15 minutes ago
- › Starting Fresh! Help me plan out my space! 16 minutes ago
- › Nursing Mama's TTC - April 2014 17 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness