or Connect
Mothering › Groups › October 2014 Due Date Club › Discussions › Prenatals?

Prenatals? - Page 2

post #21 of 38
I'm taking Thorne prenatals.
post #22 of 38
I am now taking nothing, as the morning sickness has hit with a vengeance. It takes all my efforts just to eat. :P I wish I'd been on a good regimen before conceiving, but I was so ambivalent about trying again I didn't bother. Alas. Que sera, sera.
post #23 of 38

I started taking Folic Acid supplements before I conceived, which I swear helped. So, I have an almost full bottle of that since I got pregnant so quickly, so I'm taking a bunch of different supplements instead of a traditional pre-natal for now. They include Folic Acid, DHA, Calcium +D3, Iron, and Biotin. When the Folic acid runs out, I'll be using a Prenatal plus DHA. I've heard that the CVS brand one is good. I went to Whole Foods to try and find one but the one with DHA that they carried had super high percentages of so many things I didn't think it was very good. My midwifery office said over the phone that as long as I'm getting 400mcg of Folic Acid and 30 mg of Iron it's all fine.

post #24 of 38

I'm taking New Chapter, which I took when pregnant with my son. Also fish oil, probiotics, magnesium, and 3000 IU of Vitamin D. When I hit the second trimester, I'll bump up the D to 4,000 IU. I was floored by this research and have been on high-dose D ever since I read it (even when not pregnant): http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20100504/high-doses-of-vitamin-d-may-cut-pregnancy-risk

I strongly believe in the power of whole foods to provide all the nutrients we need, however, absorbing those nutrients is not guaranteed. My mother found out in her fifties, and I at age 29, that we both have some kind of inherited copper deficiency (which isn't correctable, incidentally... but some deficiencies can be corrected with supplements.) So, supplements it is.

post #25 of 38

Hi all! Sounds like we all have vitamin/nutrition protocols we feel good about! 

 

I'm taking Rainbow Light prenatals - I took New Chapter previously, which my doctor (naturopath) said were great, but she recommended an extra folic acid with those, because they don't have as much as some other prenatals...

 

I also take a B complex, vitamin d, and fish oil and a methylated folic acid (like a few others on this board, I have a minor MTHFR mutation, which I just learned about after my two losses - not sure it will make a difference in that regard, but I'm glad to know about it). I have been taking iron supplements for years because I've historically been iron deficient, but I am feeling nervous about them - so I'm taking a little break until my next appointment - any thoughts or expertise on iron supplements during pregnancy? 

post #26 of 38

Hi everyone, 

I am taking a prenatal (cytomatrix) 4/day, omega 3 fish oil, calcium/Magnesium/D1000 liquid at bed, probiotics, extra MTHF (methyltetrahydrafolate), extra b12 (methylcobalamin) and a greens powder for smoothies.

I find that in pregnancy is is hard to get everything we need via food due to aversions and limited digestive capacity. it is easy to think at the beginning of pregnancy that we are going to eat so well but for some we physically can't. my first pregnancy i was averse to leafy greens! 

 

I am a naturopathic doctor so i can provide advice i give to my patients:

  • multi needs to have the methyl form of B12 and folate as many people need this to use it right. I use cyto-matrix and thorne, both are professional/rx products. 
  • for omega 3 i do agree that fish is better than flax. the plant form has to be converted to animal form so that we can use it and there are many factors that interfere with this process. Flax oil is very unstable and so should never be heated, it does turn rancid. I have professional line companies i use but i also find that retail nordic naturals is excellent quality. 1200 daily. these fats are ones we can't make and are the main component of the nervous system. makes for smart babies!
  • Everyone of you should check your prenatal and make sure that you have those methyl forms of folate and B12. if it doesn't then get something else. about 45% of use have a methylation defect and can't use the other forms. This is important for the baby's neural tube development, among many other things. 
  • iron should be at least 30mg. bets not to take high dose calcium and magnesium with it as it inhibits absorption. There are some multis like platinum naturals that have no ca/mg and expect you to take it separately.  there are many types of iron and minerals and i can write more about that if you want. 
  • overall, baby will take from you what it needs. but the last thing you want is to be anemic or nutrient deficient heading in to birth and breastfeeding. 

 

 

best wishes to all, 

post #27 of 38

Hi Jesepumpkin - thanks, this was super helpful!

 

Can I ask you a few questions based on your expertise? Maybe others would find it helpful, too, if you have the time to respond. :)

1. I would love to hear more about different types of iron, and whether to start taking iron supplements...

 

2. I have these Rainbow Light prenatal petites (that I bought at Whole Foods when I was visiting the US in January) - but I got kind of anxious about taking them when I read about the relatively high amount of lead found in them in an American study in 2007 or so. They say they are safe... (Of course they say that). Do you have any opinion about this? I haven't been taking them.

 

3. I live in Norway (but before that, I lived in Vancouver! Did we talk about that already?), and I take this prescription form of B vitamins called TrioBe, which has folate/folic acid, B12 and B6. I was prescribed this long before I started TTC because I had chronically low Bs (I'm a vegetarian, so that probably contributes). I cannot for the life of me figure out which kind of folic acid is in them. They say "folsyre" which translates to folic acid, but nothing else. I went online and read all the materials available to health personnel about them, and the only thing I found is something that says "The form of folate in the vitamin tablets is the easiest for the body to absorb". Typical Norway -- just trust the doctor, you don't need to know too much! ;)

When I had my B levels tested just when I started TTC, the "S-Folater" blood test, which I am presuming is folate, was 18.0 last April. So my question is: if the S-Folate looked good in my blood test, does that mean that it is fine, regardless of which type I'm taking?

 

Awesome to have a naturopathic doctor among us! :)

post #28 of 38
jesepumpkin, thanks for all that info!!
post #29 of 38
Jesepumpkin, do you have any other recommendations for a good quality omega 3 that is a little cheaper? Thanks!
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybutterfly View Post
 

Hi Jesepumpkin - thanks, this was super helpful!

 

Can I ask you a few questions based on your expertise? Maybe others would find it helpful, too, if you have the time to respond. :)

1. I would love to hear more about different types of iron, and whether to start taking iron supplements...

 

2. I have these Rainbow Light prenatal petites (that I bought at Whole Foods when I was visiting the US in January) - but I got kind of anxious about taking them when I read about the relatively high amount of lead found in them in an American study in 2007 or so. They say they are safe... (Of course they say that). Do you have any opinion about this? I haven't been taking them.

 

3. I live in Norway (but before that, I lived in Vancouver! Did we talk about that already?), and I take this prescription form of B vitamins called TrioBe, which has folate/folic acid, B12 and B6. I was prescribed this long before I started TTC because I had chronically low Bs (I'm a vegetarian, so that probably contributes). I cannot for the life of me figure out which kind of folic acid is in them. They say "folsyre" which translates to folic acid, but nothing else. I went online and read all the materials available to health personnel about them, and the only thing I found is something that says "The form of folate in the vitamin tablets is the easiest for the body to absorb". Typical Norway -- just trust the doctor, you don't need to know too much! ;)

When I had my B levels tested just when I started TTC, the "S-Folater" blood test, which I am presuming is folate, was 18.0 last April. So my question is: if the S-Folate looked good in my blood test, does that mean that it is fine, regardless of which type I'm taking?

 

Awesome to have a naturopathic doctor among us! :)

For iron i find that citrate, amino acid chelate, bisglycinate, or pyrophosphate are easiest on digestive system and easy to absorb. if its a green or red tablet it may slow the digestive system and also contain dyes and filler. In my clinic i use liquid iron from genestra that is the pyrophosphate. 30mg elemental is a good base. If you are vegetarian or have digestive/absorption issues, or have a history of low iron, or are also breastfeeding then iron supplementation should increase to 50-60mg daily.

I don't know rainbow light, i'm not sure they have them in canada. if there is concern with metals then don't take it.

yes i lived in vancouver for 10 years doing school (UBC and then new west). i googled the triobe and couldn't find the type of B12 on the website. it is a moderate dose, not as high as i would use to supplement. i would ensure that it only has the methyl B12 and folate forms. call the company? i don't know if the folate test is intracellular (RBC) or not, i couldn't find info on it. In canada we don't do many nutritional blood tests so i don't have one that i run for folate. if it is a RBC test (within the red blood cell) then you are probably good. if you are a vegetarian you are getting lots of folate in the diet (leafy greens!) but likely low B12 and i would check that. you likely need more than the 500mcg in the triobe. of course i am not your dr so these are just thoughts for you and not your official rx!

post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmevans View Post

Jesepumpkin, do you have any other recommendations for a good quality omega 3 that is a little cheaper? Thanks!

For retail brands i trust nordic naturals, carlsons (although some of the cod oils have high Vit a so watch that), ascenta nutrasea, natural factors small fish one like this:

 

http://www.naturalfactors.com/products/detail/4604/dr-murrayand39s-rx-omega-3-factors

post #32 of 38
I'm doing magnesium, Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend, and vitamin c (as as orbit acid). I will probably add Floradix and chlorophyll at some point. I like liver, so I'm going to attempt to include that a few days each week for my folate.
post #33 of 38

I mostly try to get nutrients from food, but there are a few things that my diet is deficient in. I sometimes take the New Chapter prenatals, but I consistently take Nordic Naturals DHA, vitamin D-3, and probiotics. It is also important to get DHA in particular, not just omega 3's, as other forms of fatty acids can compete with DHA and are less beneficial.

 

A number of studies have shown great benefits and reduced pregnancy risks from vitamin D doses well above the standard recommendation. Unless you get lots of sunshine, your vitamin D levels are likely less than optimal. Vitamin D is so critical during pregnancy that in every race of the human species, women, on average, have lighter skin than men to allow them to absorb more vitamin D. I would definitely check your intake, or even request a blood test to check your circulating levels - I did that during my first pregnancy.

post #34 of 38

I am taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatals, since three months before conception. I love them because my stomach has never been able to handle other multivitamins, but since these are whole food I can take them even on an empty stomach. Plus, since the vitamins are cultured, they provide probiotics. Now at 6 weeks my nausea is getting bad and I just have to hold my breath while opening the container because the smell is a little overwhelming :)

That's the other thing -- I am usually a veggie/fruit fanatic, but nausea is making it so that nothing sounds good. I have been able to do some smoothies (like spinach/banana/yogurt/peanut butter) but everything else sounds awful. Unless you count pickles! So, even though it's best to get it from food, I think these vitamins are the next best thing and they give me reassurance that I'm still getting good nutrition even when I can't eat anything.

post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesepumpkin View Post
 

For iron i find that citrate, amino acid chelate, bisglycinate, or pyrophosphate are easiest on digestive system and easy to absorb. if its a green or red tablet it may slow the digestive system and also contain dyes and filler. In my clinic i use liquid iron from genestra that is the pyrophosphate. 30mg elemental is a good base. If you are vegetarian or have digestive/absorption issues, or have a history of low iron, or are also breastfeeding then iron supplementation should increase to 50-60mg daily.

I don't know rainbow light, i'm not sure they have them in canada. if there is concern with metals then don't take it.

yes i lived in vancouver for 10 years doing school (UBC and then new west). i googled the triobe and couldn't find the type of B12 on the website. it is a moderate dose, not as high as i would use to supplement. i would ensure that it only has the methyl B12 and folate forms. call the company? i don't know if the folate test is intracellular (RBC) or not, i couldn't find info on it. In canada we don't do many nutritional blood tests so i don't have one that i run for folate. if it is a RBC test (within the red blood cell) then you are probably good. if you are a vegetarian you are getting lots of folate in the diet (leafy greens!) but likely low B12 and i would check that. you likely need more than the 500mcg in the triobe. of course i am not your dr so these are just thoughts for you and not your official rx!

 

Hi all!

Thanks so much for this, Jese. I went off looking for vitamins today. It is so strange how in Norway, the vitamin containers do not specify the type of vitamin formulation. I tried asking the people who work at the drugstore (pharmacist) and at the health food stores (just a regular salesperson) and of course neither of them knew. I guess I have to call the company that makes Triobe to find out. But even if I find out that it is not the methyl form, it doesn't really seem like I have another option that I know is in the methyl form. Hm. I have asked a friend who is a medical student about the S-Folat blood test to see if she knows whether it is intracellular -- but all I figured out is that it is a serum test. Whatever that means. Hopefully Sasha will know!

 

On the positive side, I did find a biglycinate form of iron in a 27mg dose (it was the only vitamin packet that specified the type of iron!).

 

And I found a type of omega-3 that is derived from krill, which is nice because it is ocean safe. I was a bit skeptical and wanted to look for a fish oil brand that you had recommended, but pretty much all the brands are different here. The only brand I saw here that I recognize from Canada is Uro's. I had been reluctant to take fish oil for a long time as I'm vegetarian, but I do want to do what's best for the baby! I'll try the krill.

post #36 of 38

I'm also taking Whole Foods brand prenatals, as well as a B-complex & folic acid.  We eat very healthy, but I still feel better taking vitamins, even though I know I could be taking even higher quality vitamins.

 

I'm taking Cod Liver Oil daily, which has DHA & EPA, as well as Vit. A & D.  I used to take fish oil, but switched to krill oil as well-it was explained to me that it is "more pure" since krill is at the bottom of the food chain.  We also have a grass-fed cow & pig in our freezer, and get raw milk weekly, so lots of healthy fats as well.  We cook with mostly coconut or olive on low heat.  

 

Just got into chia seeds pretty recently and love them- we make greek yogurt, and one of my favorite "power snacks" is yogurt with chia, ground flax, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, & cashews & almonds. I never knew that flax seeds need to be ground before, but it make sense- my daughter used to have whole seeds in her diaper and I never put it together!

 

It is really helpful for me to see what you ladies are all doing- this is a really useful resource!

post #37 of 38

I like Rainbow Light prenatals, they are made from whole foods.  I take the prenatal petites because you can swallow three small pills instead of one big one.  Sometimes I just take one or two, depends on how I'm feeling.  I also have just folic acid for the day when I can't stomach all the prenatals.

post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybutterfly View Post
 

 

Hi all!

Thanks so much for this, Jese. I went off looking for vitamins today. It is so strange how in Norway, the vitamin containers do not specify the type of vitamin formulation. I tried asking the people who work at the drugstore (pharmacist) and at the health food stores (just a regular salesperson) and of course neither of them knew. I guess I have to call the company that makes Triobe to find out. But even if I find out that it is not the methyl form, it doesn't really seem like I have another option that I know is in the methyl form. Hm. I have asked a friend who is a medical student about the S-Folat blood test to see if she knows whether it is intracellular -- but all I figured out is that it is a serum test. Whatever that means. Hopefully Sasha will know!

 

On the positive side, I did find a biglycinate form of iron in a 27mg dose (it was the only vitamin packet that specified the type of iron!).

 

And I found a type of omega-3 that is derived from krill, which is nice because it is ocean safe. I was a bit skeptical and wanted to look for a fish oil brand that you had recommended, but pretty much all the brands are different here. The only brand I saw here that I recognize from Canada is Uro's. I had been reluctant to take fish oil for a long time as I'm vegetarian, but I do want to do what's best for the baby! I'll try the krill.

If the test is serum than it is not intracellular. but it's better than nothing. krill is great and i agree that most people, esp vegetarians, need to supplement while pregnant or breastfeeding. I don't know url's. 

here's to growing healthy babies!

Mothering › Groups › October 2014 Due Date Club › Discussions › Prenatals?