or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Gardening › Eatin' dirt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eatin' dirt

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
My daughter who is one year old eats dirt every time i take her to the garden. I have heard that there is botulism in soil should i be concerned?
post #2 of 4
I would be more concerned with lead poisoning. Lead tastes sweet like candy. Soil usually has the highest amounts of lead (most people think it is only found in paint). Both my children got lead poisoning. My DD even ended up in a coma. Please be careful. The city or county is supposed to test your house and soil for free, but you need to call them and hound them a bit. i hope you don't find lead and your house is lead-free

Also, if you think your baby might have lead poisoning or you just want to check, have the Dr. take one of those tubes of blood, not just the finger prick. The Dr.'s kept taking finger pricks of my babies and telling me there was no lead poisoning. I went to a different clinic (one that specialized in lead poisoning) and they took a tube of blood and by then it was too late. My babies lead was sooo high. I love gardening, I just wish someone had told me about lead being in soil. Now all our soil is brought in and our garden beds are raised.
I wish you the best of luck
post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 

lead

thanks for the reply, i didn't even think about lead. we have a community garden plot and i am not sure what was there before but it has been there at least ten years. is there a home kit i could use to test lead in the soil that you know about?
post #4 of 4
Hello! Yes there are home kits but they are inaccurate. Or I should say they will only indicate the presence of lead but not the amount. And sometimes they will only indicate the presence of lead at truly high amounts, which doesn't help because a baby only needs small amounts in order to get lead poisoning.

I would urge you to have a professional tester come test the soil. Call your local health department and/or center for poison control, they should be able to help you find numbers/resources to get help testing the soil if they themselves don't do it.
I hope this helps you
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Gardening
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Gardening › Eatin' dirt