Originally Posted by leila1213
I have so many posts to ask of you all that I'm sure they won't all get answered.
But here's a quick one: I babysit as my "job/work" and take DD along with me. I usually only watch one other child at a time, usually at their home. How can I make this time less child-centered without getting myself fired?
The only thing that has come to mind is to clean the house. Any other ideas?
* Making lunch and dinner and any snacks
* Doing the dishes
* Doing household oriented crafts - you knit, they play with chopsticks and
yarn and pretend to knit.
* Refurbishing old objects by scrubbing them, painting them. For example, dd and I found a desk by the side of the road, washed it and painted it together. It is now in her room.
* Cutting things with scissors. Maybe bring coupons?
* Going for unstructured walks outside
* Going for "hunts" outside to bring back things for seasonal crafts and displays
If you babysit occasionally and the other child is not used to this approach, you could construct it like an activity - "hey, I'm going to bake, would anyone like to help?" When dd is feeling left out, I sometimes find that an invitation to participate in my work is what she needs.