or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Low carbs making you crazy???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Low carbs making you crazy??? - Page 6

post #101 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama
If it is all of the "Atkins-friendly" products and ads that are driving people crazy, that is interesting because those products may actually be the downfall of the trend.....

I heard an interesting (to me, at least ) theory about "fad diets" a few weeks ago (can't remember where--pbs?). They work really well at first, because they eliminate a group of foods. Doesn't really matter what foods--just that the choice of foods is limited. Limited food choice= lower calories ingested (my dh lost 30 pounds one year just eliminating dairy....no other constrictions).

Then--the diet gets really, really popular, and everyone wants a piece of the marketing pie. So all of these "diet friendly" products are marketed, and suddenly the choice of foods is not limited at all! Think back to the low-fat trend: fat-free cookies, fat-free cake, fat-free icecream...you name it! And, predictably, people lost less weight on the fat-free plan with lots of new fat-free choices.

Only time will tell, but, as people incorporate all of these engineered "low carb" products into their diets, the low-carb diet may prove to be much less effective.
I agree that these products, coupled with the general public's general ignorance on this topic(see my last post), is damaging this way of eating. Low-fat diets DO work and can be very healthful for many people, if done without eating a ton of unhealthy low-fat products. The same can be said for low-carb. But it's usually the folks who jump into things without knowing what the heck they are supposed to be doing that cause others to look at these ways of eating negatively.

Edited for typo.
post #102 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Hey Mattia! Congratulations on the weight loss! That's fantastic! I am about where I was when I talked to you last, but with a bun in the oven, so my waist is disappearing.
Hey, Amanda! Thank you, and congratulations on your new lil' bean! YAY!

Yea, people treat it like a fad diet when they just do it half-arsed to lose a few quick pounds. But people who learn about and believe in this way of eating don't treat it like a fad.

I'm so glad you're having a nice, healthy pregnancy. Yikes on the sugar/ant thing!
post #103 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj
FTR, I HAVE read "new diet revolution". I am about yeah-close to a biology degree and have taken a lot of A&P and human nutrition. The idea that you should be in ketosis to lose weight is silly - before ketosis was marketted as a weight-loss goal, IT WAS CONSIDERED A DANGEROUS MEDICAL CONDITION. And you know what, it still is detrimental to your health - it is just so heavily marketted that most doctors ignore it now. If you are in poor health, purposefully putting yourself into ketosis could be the last straw.
You are confusing the VERY BENIGN ketosis-lipolysis with a very dangerous condition called ketoacidosis. Here's more about it:

http://atkins.com/helpatkins/newfaq/...rBodyToBe.html



http://members.tripod.com/~Dietman2/ketosis.html

Mod Note
Part of this post has been removed due to copyright volations
post #104 of 183
Hey Mattia, hey Jamie. Long time.
Glad you all are well.
post #105 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie and Griffin
A question for the original poster and the people who agreed with her - are you as bent out of shape by all the low calorie/low fat products touted in grocery stores and restaurants? I don't know how old you guys are but I am old enough to remember the advent of many of these products and how vigorously these products were advertised. It is exactly the same as the low carb convenience food craze.

Of course, as with a low fat WHOLE FOODS diet, it is possible to eat a low carb WHOLE FOODS diet. Who says you have to use any low fat or low carbohydrate convenience products to stick to a dietary plan? Do you automatically assume that every person eating a low fat/low calorie diet is loading up on Snackwells and diet Pepsi?
Yea, the venom towards this trend and the products that were sure to follow is confusing unless one is equally outraged at ALL junk/refined products that are advertised every day. I also agree that worst is usually assumed when it comes to LCer for some reason, but not someone doing WW or something similar. Very odd.

I understand being concerned for the health of those you love, but instead of all this mass hysteria about how "bad" low-carb is, I wish folks would pick up a book and educate themselves. If my family/friends were worried about me(and they're not), I would hope they'd do the same before assuming I was killing myself. It's funny how folks never seem to get as passionate about other's food choices when their family/friends/strangers are eating the donuts, and bread... but as soon as you say "low-carb", they break out in a hissy. Kinda funny, actually.
post #106 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia
It's funny how folks never seem to get as passionate about other's food choices when their family/friends/strangers are eating the donuts, and bread... but as soon as you say "low-carb", they break out in a hissy. Kinda funny, actually.
ITA what's up with that?

To answer the original question though, it is annoying to see how junk food manufacturers have jumped at this business opportunity but Americans love junk food especially if it's "healthy" and Americans love capitalism, so this is the result.
Love it or leave it baby.
post #107 of 183
Actually Mattia, we learned that prolonged ketosis is dangerous to the health. Not just ketoacidosis. Even the mild form of ketosis throws off your body chemistry and is bad in the long run. And you CAN burn fat without getting yourself into ketosis, it just means balancing your diet differently. Nevertheless, ketosis in itself isn't going to be making those in otherwise good health keel over, it just has an effect if you allow yourself to stay in that state for too long. From what I understand, with the Atkins diet you should only be in ketosis during intiation, am I correct? This shouldn't hurt anyone. The point was more that everyone believes ketosis is harmless, which is a carefully marketted lie. There are some populations (pregnant women, those with type 1 diabetes) that should not go into ketosis on purpose, because it is dangerous for them, and others (those who work in pressurized environments - scuba divers for example) should consider that ketosis alters blood acidity even in its mild form and can make things like decompression sickness more likely.

Many body functions are on feedback loops maintained according to pH. Even very small changes can be troublesome - and this doesn't apply simply to the bloodstream, but to the digestive system and urinary system as well. Most people can handle this, but to pretend that ketosis is this wonderful thing that does nothing but good is dangerous for those who can't handle it.
post #108 of 183
Here's an article about a couple of ketosis studies that were completed a few years ago:

Mod note
Removed for Copyright violation.

http://wilstar.com/lowcarb/research/research15.htm


Pregnant/nursing mothers are urged to stay out of ketosis, by Dr. Atkins and every other doctor out there that I know of, because there are no studies one way or another on whether ketones are harmful to fetuses/babies. Not because it's been proven to be harmful.

Edited to add: I agree that certain groups of people should not resort to ketosis, as you said... but these warnings are laid out in the ketogenic plans I've seen. It's up to each person to speak with their doctors, and to do the research on the matter.

BTW, lower-carb diets can also be extremely effective without going into ketosis at all. Again, your milage may vary.
post #109 of 183
Most of the negative effect of ketosis comes from the fact that it forces more water out of your body. Dehydration is never recommended for anyone, much less for pregnant women, hence the recommendation to stay out of ketosis. Like you said, you can eat a low-carb diet and stay out of ketosis. I'm not opposed to a low-carb diet. I'm opposed to fast-food low-carb crap-food marketting. I'm sick of hearing that low-carb diets are the be-all and end-all of the diet world, and that there is nothing wrong with them, etc. etc. etc. It's just that I would love it if people would own up to the fact that even if they're on a low-carb diet, they're not necessarily "eating healthy" just because they're buying the stuff they're "supposed to." It is the mindlessness that comes from all the marketting, not the diet itself, that bugs me.
post #110 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom
I'm like : over this. I mean, duh, I think 90% of the people who have posted on this thread have essentially agreed with this position. It's the marketing trend that is disgusting. What exactly is the problem with understanding this, other than a huge amount of defensiveness?
Actually, I read the entire thread and my impression (which, of course, may be different from your impression) was the sheer anger that the products and the low carbohydrate diet exists. I'm not defensive because I do not follow a low carb diet plan. I just wonder why more people aren't beside themselves over all processed crap products. Frankly, I am more upset by the number of people who are unaware of how bad hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, and other preservatives are. I get my panties in a tighter wad over the products marketed towards children that are laden with absolute crap. Feh. Who cares about the low carb products. Big deal. If people are following a low carbohydrate way of eating the way it was intended they won't be buying that crap anyway but that goes for any diet at all. Alas, most Americans will not do that so business swoops in and exploits an opportunity. Whatever. Happens everyday.

Quote:
I would actually assume anyone here at MDC that eats low-carb would be doing so in a healthy way but dare I say most here aren't exactly a true sample of most people going low-carb.
You give people more credit than they probably deserve. I am often shocked at the number of MDCers who list what they buy at the grocery store and their carts are full of processed crap. Hamburger Helper is not a healthy choice, folks, even if you leave the meat out.

Hi, Amanda! Congratulations on your pregnancy. Did you move to your utopia in the mountains?
post #111 of 183
Do a lot (or even anyone) here think hamburger helper is healthy with or without the meat???? Of course hamburger helper isn't low-carb (at least not yet ) so low-carbers wouldn't be eating it, right.
I agree about all the processed crap, especially the stuff marketed towards children.
post #112 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie and Griffin
Actually, I read the entire thread and my impression (which, of course, may be different from your impression) was the sheer anger that the products and the low carbohydrate diet exists.
Acknowledged. I guess all I see is the irritation and anger about the marketing and the current fad aspect of it for most of the posters. Some did seem against the concept, per se, but seemed to me the majority were just against the fad. My POV coloring it, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie and Griffin
You give people more credit than they probably deserve. I am often shocked at the number of MDCers who list what they buy at the grocery store and their carts are full of processed crap. Hamburger Helper is not a healthy choice, folks, even if you leave the meat out.
This touches on one of the subjects I'm seeing banded about a lot. I've lurked and posted here for a long time and I'm the first one to admit I've got a looong way to go to even approach the healthiness of the diets some of you have. However, many, if not most, of the moms here come to learn, and take tiny steps toward better health and nutrition. A lot of us grew up on "processed crap," as you put it, and don't know any other way to cook or eat. I like to think I'm learning all the time. 'twould be great if we could see more of a teaching tone from folks rather than what sounds like a superior one. Maybe it's just me.


Peace,
post #113 of 183
Sounds like Mattia and I are very much alike--thank you for posting much of what I would have posted, had I seen this thread sooner.

The general feel I got from this thread at first was irritation by all the new low-carb products. I can see that--I'm irritated by it too. But it quickly morphed into a low-carb diet bash fest where a lot of posters here commented about eating their carbs and lovin' it, blah, blah, blah. Maybe a lot of you haven't been morbidly obese (God, I hate that term!). Maybe a lot of you haven't had unexplained facial hair, infertility, inability to lose weight and the ability to gain it very quickly, despite the fact that we've exercised and cut out supposedly bad foods. It's very sad and frustrating and you feel like a freak of nature.

So...I finally get diagnosed w/PCOS and find out that any carbohydrate (yes, I also know the full word and what it means) I eat gets stored in my body immediately as fat. I have too much insulin already--eating carbs only compounds the problem--not to mention it makes me feel hungry because insulin is a "hunger hormone". Then I go on a "low carb" diet (hate that word because there is so much stigma associated with it--as many of you have demonstrated in this thread).

So I read up on the different low carb "diets" and decide to pick out what I liked from each of them and tailor one for me. I cut out refined white CRAP that most of us eat. I replaced it with less-refined foods, substituted a non-starchy vegetable for the potato, rice, pasta dish that I cut out. So...a meal of chicken breast, lettuce salad with homemade buttermilk ranch dressing and a side of green beans is a typical meal for me. Healthier than the frozen pizza that I hear many of you are eating.

I also was very active at this time (something I'd done before going low carb and didn't work). I lost 20lbs my first month. I lost 70 lbs in 7 months. My period returned, my facial hair slowed down, my insulin/glucose and testosterone levels evened out and I was able to get pregnant again without the use of fertility assistance. I even had a high self esteem to boot! Wow!

As far as the low carb products out there, I agree, most of them are pure crap. But...we low-carbers are human too and every now and again need to slip up. Maybe even feel a little "normal" with the rest of the population who are chowing down on their hershey bars and ice cream cones. So...if I feel the need, I just may buy one of those low carb products to help me through my weak moment. Yes...all the crap in there is just that--crap--artificial everything. But for someone like me, carbs are also crap. If I eat a regular candy bar, I may suffer from serious cravings for a week after eating that, which could be very detrimental to my low carb lifestyle and make me fall off the wagon, so to speak.

Anyway...all that to say that some of us are biologically in need of a lower carbohydrate lifestyle. Some people have been dealt a bum hand and CAN'T eat a diet of regular bread, potatoes, etc. The people that can...yes--consider yourselves "lucky". Also, the people who can simply eat less and move more and lose weight--consider yourself lucky as well.
post #114 of 183
I have not read all the post but in reality this "low-carb" labeling is like the "low-fat/reduced-fat" labeling of years past. Like low fat foods not all low carb foods are good. You have chips on olestra and "fat free". The lableing of LOW CARB is not regulated so that is were you have problems.

It sounds like many of you have not done your research about low-carb diets. Yes there is some nutrious food eliminated but not all and NOT PERMANTLY. For some some items are permermant for SOME PEOPLE.

With Atkins, South Beach, Diebetic they all work on the same concept. Atkins is the most severe but as you go through the phases you learn how to eat and HOW to cook. You learn portion control!!!!! I just started and having to measure things and learning a protion size is really helpful.

For me watching my foods and calories was not working.

I finally broke down and asked a dietition friend about it. She was anti-low/carb until her diebeties, weight, and health went to h@#@. The she learned more about it and started a low-carb (not atkins) diet and things leveled out. She has arguements with the more extreme low-carb diets.

There is a lot of myths out there about low-carb diets. Cheese at first should only be about 4 oz a day. Bacon is fine if you can find it with out sugar and nitrates (I found some for 5 bucks a lb). Low-carb diets don't necessarily mean red meat.

The big problem si many people do not read up and make wrong assumptions about using low-carb diets.

With atkins you are in lipolisis/ketoes for the first three phases. By the third phase you are barely if at all in it.

Yes you might not be able to eat Apples but you can eat many other vegitables, fruits, and berries.

You elimnate all sugar from your diet. At first you do limit fiber sources but you do add as you go.
post #115 of 183
Why would anyone want to live off of pre-packaged low-carb foods, and mixes, etc? I sincerely don't get it. As if eating all that crap is going to help you lose weight or be healthy. Whatever. Some people need to get a clue. Diet should be about a lifestyle change-not running with the latest craze.
Leila
post #116 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj
Dehydration is never recommended for anyone, much less for pregnant women, hence the recommendation to stay out of ketosis.
As the other poster said No low-carb planner ever ment it for pregnant women.

They all recommend AT LEAST 8-8oz of water a day. I think Atkins could also recommend AT LEAST one extra oz for every 25 pounds of being over weight. I am currently 65 lbs over weight so I make sure I drink AT LEAST 10-8 OZ of water a day. I drink from a 32 oz cup and have 4-5 of them a water a day. I splurg with a cup of 50-50 decaf coffee in the morning. I love the flavor of coffee. I am working to decaf. ****I could have learned this else were.
post #117 of 183
leilalu, i sincerely don't get how people think any one person that does not have the cash of paris hilton (give that girl some carbs!) is going to be able to *afford* to eat nothing but $5 chips & $6 pkgs of brownie mix. they are JUST AN ADJUNCT, just a crutch, a once in awhile thing. am i getting through yet?

'Some people need to get a clue.'

*cough*

suse
post #118 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu
Why would anyone want to live off of pre-packaged low-carb foods, and mixes, etc? I sincerely don't get it. As if eating all that crap is going to help you lose weight or be healthy. Whatever. Some people need to get a clue. Diet should be about a lifestyle change-not running with the latest craze.
Leila
I agree with Suse! Do you really think that people are living off this stuff? It's there for people who need a "treat" every now and again. Hell, there are Little Debbies and Doritos and Pop Tarts littering our grocery store shelves--do you think that's what most people live off of too? I don't--they are there to be treats--to make someone who NEEDS to low carb feel "normal" every now and again when his/her thin counterpart is sitting next to them scarfing their Hershey bar or eating their Cap'n Crunch.

This is exactly the unfair kind of stigma that gets my undies in a bunch (but because of low carbing, said undies are much smaller than they used to be! ).
post #119 of 183
May I ask what blood types you are, Mattia and Brayg? I sometimes wonder about the validity of certain blood types doing much better on low carb than others. Please do not answer if you don't want to.

I have a very difficult time staying with low carb. I admire those who are diligent with it and see results.
post #120 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia
Whole grains are allowed at some stage of every LC plan I know of.

Also, this is most definitely a lifestyle change for me. The only way for one to lose weight and keep it off, is to keep eating the healthful way they ate to lose the weight. No diet can work if you're not on it, right? That's why it's so important for each of us to find a diet that works FOR US. Something we can sustainably do for the rest of our lives. Something that will benefit our health, and something that we'll enjoy.

The only foods I will not eat for the rest of my life are "the whites" ... white flour, sugar, rice, and pasta. I do, however, plan to enjoy a white potato instead of a sweet potato once in a while... once I reach maintenance, if my body can can tolerate them well.

Please, anyone, tell me how a diet void of said white products, and inclusive of almost any other food you can think of by the time one reaches their goal weight, could possibly be considered DANGEROUS or UNSAFE... or even UNHEALTHY - by anyone's standards?
Maybe that is just it- I am SOOOO with you on diets void of refined carbs. Maybe I wish the emphasis was on *quality carbs* Instead of the advertisements saying no carbs I wish I would see whole wheat pasta that said "Whole grain-good carbs"

The average joe who decides to try this diet does not buy books and educate themselves- not that I've seen. Everyone I know just says "no carbs, high protein- ok here i go" and end up failing because it isn't sustainable not knowing how it really works.

I wish the marketting campaign emphasised that good carbs DO exist. Subway as an example, they've come out with low carb wraps- which is a thinner wrap- still made out of refined carbs. Why not offer a whole wheat/brown rice/good carb alternative?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nutrition and Good Eating
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Low carbs making you crazy???