or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › Any good wool soakers for less than $20 out there?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any good wool soakers for less than $20 out there?

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
I know that is asking a lot, but are there? My son is 25-26 pounds right now (almost 18 months old)...I was going to get a Baby World New Zealand Wool Soaker but it says the XL only fits up to 25 pounds. Any suggestions?
post #2 of 57
http://www.rumpknits.com/store/

I ordered one from her a few weeks ago -- the prices are amazing (under $20), the quality is excellent and she ships right away. The only issue I have with my soaker (the citrus color) is that it's a bit too big, especially around the thigh. Even so, I love the look and feel of it (our first handknit soaker) -- it's almost too beautiful to use!
post #3 of 57
BJMarketplace at Ebay makes soakers for 20 or less. Do you like covers? LittleLambs are less then 20 and Sugarpeas are around 20-22.
post #4 of 57
Craftierbythestich selling on ebay soakers usually go for under $20, usually around $15. They are crocheted and sometimes handknit from wool merino yarn. I have one and love it. It is great for nighttime!
post #5 of 57
there are a lot of great soaker makers on ebay if you know where to look. Just go and take a look around and you can come back here and post about the seller and I am sure we can give you reviews. There are 2 sellers on ebay that do wonderful work for dirt cheap!!
post #6 of 57
hey ...
its craftierbythestitch (you are missing a t)
post #7 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc1995
Craftierbythestich selling on ebay soakers usually go for under $20, usually around $15. They are crocheted and sometimes handknit from wool merino yarn. I have one and love it. It is great for nighttime!
Yes! ITA! I have one from her that I LOVE!!! It's so soft and pretty.
post #8 of 57
I second the BJMarket Place soakers, I just got one and I love it. I is merino wool, very soft and super stretchy. She also does custom work for very cheap, I think $25 for a soaker plus shipping and the embelishments are free. Or you could win one on eBay for about $20, non custom.
post #9 of 57
An Ecolovables wetter sweater is $18, made of 2 layers of jersey knit, does that count as a soaker? We use it at night & love it...
post #10 of 57
I personally love the soakers from tinker6729 on ebay. I got 3 for $10 each w/free shipping w/Buy It Now. They are fabulous for overnight, fit both the boys (Yay!), and are so cute!
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxcdingmomma
I personally love the soakers from tinker6729 on ebay. I got 3 for $10 each w/free shipping w/Buy It Now. They are fabulous for overnight, fit both the boys (Yay!), and are so cute!
yeah I have one of her soakers on loan and they fit a WIDE range and are still trim!!

But I hate to say anything about it, she smokes(or someone in her house does) and they always come smelling like smoke(or they did back a few months ago when my friends were into buying from her all the time and they had a kind of mean nickname that I wont share because I just wont, LOL)
post #12 of 57
Not quite under $20 but Knitwitzbaby has really reasonable prices IMO.
post #13 of 57
http://www.fernandfaerie.com/

I am waiting for her to stock a large pocket diaper but she has gorgeous soakers for a great price!!
post #14 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE

But I hate to say anything about it, she smokes(or someone in her house does) and they always come smelling like smoke(or they did back a few months ago when my friends were into buying from her all the time and they had a kind of mean nickname that I wont share because I just wont, LOL)
Eewwww!! I hate when people sell smoky stuff. Yuck!

That said, I haven't gotten even the tiniest whiff of smoke from any of my 3 shipments. Hmmm... maybe that's why they're so cheap? Yay for me!

Come on - what was the name? I'm DYING to know!
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxcdingmomma
Eewwww!! I hate when people sell smoky stuff. Yuck!

That said, I haven't gotten even the tiniest whiff of smoke from any of my 3 shipments. Hmmm... maybe that's why they're so cheap? Yay for me!

Come on - what was the name? I'm DYING to know!

I got one from her too and it smelled like smoke. I had to wash it 5 times hawaiian vanilla wow to get the smell out. (it came out) but I wish she was upfront about it. YUK! : It was a custom and it ended up being expensive. AND the legs were too big. I gave her his measurements. Hmmm... I better say something nice here. I feel bad. Hmmmmm..... It was very well knit and dyed a gorgeous color.
post #16 of 57
edited because I heard it wrong and since everyone doesnt have time to read through all the posts they all have to correct me many times.
post #17 of 57
I'm so sorry... but seeing hand knit wool soakers going for under $20 makes me really really sad. Did someone say $10?
post #18 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelamama
I'm so sorry... but seeing hand knit wool soakers going for under $20 makes me really really sad. Did someone say $10?
is that because they are so hard to HAND knit and they are taking advantage of themselves by offering them so low?

I personally think $20 for a plain normal sized hand knit soaker is a good price, but I also know a lot of WAHMs that sell themselves short.
post #19 of 57
It takes me several days -- maybe a week -- to knit an average sized soaker, between kids and home and other responsibilites. That's if I'm really focusing on it. I'm an average speed knitter. It's a big investment of time and creativity for under $20.
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelamama
I'm so sorry... but seeing hand knit wool soakers going for under $20 makes me really really sad. Did someone say $10?
I totally agree. Even if the soaker maker uses inexpensive wool, a large size soaker would use at least $4-5 worth of yarn. Like everything else you make, you also need supplies like knitting needles and measuring tapes and tapestry needles and other misc stuff too boring to mention. Even if you don't count the cost of supplies, that means that the soaker maker is getting only $5-$6 for her labor. I know the fastest knitters can make a soaker in a few hours, but most probably spend substantially more than that.

It does make me feel very sad, too.

Karla
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Diapering
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › Any good wool soakers for less than $20 out there?