or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › UGH-SOME PEOPLE (vent!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UGH-SOME PEOPLE (vent!) - Page 5

post #81 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by magemom
What about that mama who was nursing down the freeway with her baby in her lap because it was legal in her state? (but not the state she was driving through) She would not pull over because it would slow her down.
That was a mama driving from Michigan through Ohio (or was it Indiana? One of those two). She claims that she did it because he husband (who wasn't in the car but she called him to ask permission) wouldn't let her pull over. She was on her way to her mom's house and she *couldn't* be late, accourding to her husband. In court she claimed it was her religious belief to do what her husband said. He told her she couldn't stop so she just propped baby in her lap to nurse while driving. I can't remember the outcome of it though
post #82 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melda
ok ... I have been driving down the road and have pulled over and parked in a parking lot and got DD out to feed her because she was screaming and in the parking lot without traffic. Yes the car was running because i live in florida and we need a/c ... I never thought i was doing anything wrong or unsafe by doing this. Am i wrong?
I'm confused too; I regularly nursed in the front seat of a parked car....
post #83 of 123
The woman from Michigan received a citation, I believe, for violating carseat laws. As I recall, that was it. There was a huge thread about this here, but I can't remember if it was in breastfeeding or TAO; maybe both.

When I pull off the road to nurse, if I'm driving I get back into the driver's seat and pull it all the way back and down. If Mike is driving, I do it in the front passenger seat which is always all the way back and down. Airbags can, on rare occasion, deploy for no reason at all. My impression is that it's more likely to happen in older vehicles, but you can't be 100% certain about anything so be as safe as possible. Our vehicle is relatively new, so I don't worry about it too much. I feel much safer pulling off into a parking lot to nurse than I would if I kept driving while we nursed.

And yes, if the weather permits it, I turn the car off; if it's really hot or humid, though, I don't.
post #84 of 123
I have also calle the police- although I doubt anything was done, knowing this town. It was when I saw a child ON THE DRIVER'S LAP, hand on steering wheel on the "main street" in town.
post #85 of 123
Quote:
I was once called "CPS-bait" by a whole posse of folks here because I admitted that my children ride the NYC Transit Authority buses almost daily without carseats or seat beslts and are not restrained (well, except for my arm/hand behind a tushie) ... was called other things, too.
Are you serious? :LOL People should see the taxis we run around in sometimes! And the marshroutkas (mini-buses)!

And BelovedBird, I've seen that, too. But I also see 10 people with babies and kids piled into a Lada.
post #86 of 123
Holy crap! I'd have called the cops too!

I admit, I USED to think carseats were annoying and a nuisance. Then on the way home from a family trip, I rolled my van 7 times going 75 MPH. Yeah, color me converted. I got a concussion, DH had a shoulder seperation, but there wasn't anything wrong with DD other than a majorly poopy diaper. I can't hardly blame her--I almost crapped my pants too.

I won't even go two inches in a vehicle with DD without making sure she's in her carseat and strapped in properly. Maybe I'm a paranoid, over-cautious American, but that "nuisance" saved my daughter's life. Can't use the carseat anymore, but I sure as hell kept it. I'm even thinking of creating a shrine. :
post #87 of 123
I would never imply that someone is an over-cautious, paranoid American for wanting his or her child in a carseat. It was implied that I was just that when I refused to take my 5 day-old dd home on the Metro.

But, there are other ways of life, still, out there in the world, where carseats just don't exist. They just don't. Am I saying that's OK? No. Am I saying people are ignorant. Yes. But not with the judgmental, negative, reactionary tone often found when talking about this subject.
post #88 of 123
It's possible the car/van could be old enough NOT to have airbags. Ours only has a drivers side airbag and it's pretty old - so I do worry about that. So if I pull off or park somewhere to nurse - I nurse in the front passenger seat. All 5 of my other van seats have carseats in them.
post #89 of 123
I read recently that the Japanese used to think that we Americans were real nutcases, what with all the carseats and babyproofing stuff. They never used them. They'd make jokes about it (baby gates ha ha ha). And then it kind of turned out that they have the highest infant mortatlity rate in the devloped world. And the studies showed it was because they were not using all of these safety devices. Suddenly it was not so funny anymore.
post #90 of 123
Quote:
I can't hardly blame her--I almost crapped my pants too.
OMG! I find this incredibly funny :LOL

I know it isnt, really, so a hug to you mama!
post #91 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaby3
OMG! I find this incredibly funny :LOL

I know it isnt, really, so a hug to you mama!
Four months later, I can laugh about it. I even said that in the ER, and that's the first time the nurses thought I probably didn't have a very serious head injury.

Thanks, though! It was skeery, but we had some super diligent angels following us that day.
post #92 of 123
I am so glad you are all Ok
post #93 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya43
I read recently that the Japanese used to think that we Americans were real nutcases, what with all the carseats and babyproofing stuff. They never used them. They'd make jokes about it (baby gates ha ha ha). And then it kind of turned out that they have the highest infant mortatlity rate in the devloped world. And the studies showed it was because they were not using all of these safety devices. Suddenly it was not so funny anymore.
But I think Japan has half the infant mortality rate of the US....
post #94 of 123
What does infant mortality rate have to do with accidents? The infant mortality rate is a measure of live births vs. still births (or deaths within a certain number of days), no? Am I wrong?

Anyway, Japan has 3.30/1000 vs. 6.75/1000 in the US.
post #95 of 123
Ok, yeah, I'm wrong. It's deaths within the first year of life.
post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by srain
But I think Japan has half the infant mortality rate of the US....

I should have said "accidental death rate" instead of "mortality rate". In 1999, a Japan Institute of Health study showed that Japan had an accidental death rate way out of wack with it general mortaltity rate (which is low.) Indeed their infant accidental death rate was the highestin the develped world. After this study the Japanese stopped laughing about infant gates (lots of kids drowned in their in the floor tubs) and car seats.
post #97 of 123
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, because I am too tired to read the entire thread...

To the poster that thinks that it's ok to have an unrestrained baby because she feels that she can avoid most accidents...did you ever even consider that maybe your UNRESTRAINED CHILD COULD CAUSE THE ACCIDENT??? It only takes a second, eyes off the road, looking at the baby, to cause an accident....THAT WOULD BE YOUR FAULT. So then you have an at fault accident AND an (hopefully only) injured baby.

Please, please consider what is most important here. Your child only gets one life.
post #98 of 123
Here is the outcome of that Ohio breastfeeding while driving incident...


Driving and Nursing
post #99 of 123
I am generally in the minority when it comes to laws..safety mostly. So I'll jump in and wearmy flame suit. While I do agree it is safer to have babies in car seats and yes I know you don'tknow when an accident is going to happen ..I Do not think it should be a law. My DD has been in a moving car out of her car seat probably 5or 6 times in her life. Was it safe? probably not but thank God we made it. I just don't like how everything has to be law...
Some people think harnesses are abusive b/c it treats a child like a dog..some people think they are a safety tool. What happens if it becomes that you MUST use a harness in a crowded place to avoid the chance that your child wanders off and gets hurt....then you might sue? or what if the government deems that to stop child abduction children must be lead around in harnesses until they are 5? This is also a safety issue and I just beleive it is the parents right to make their own choices based on information. So as long as the info is out there..let the parent work it out and leave the government out of it.
post #100 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins
What happens if it becomes that you MUST use a harness in a crowded place to avoid the chance that your child wanders off and gets hurt....then you might sue? or what if the government deems that to stop child abduction children must be lead around in harnesses until they are 5?
There's a problem with your argument: keeping a child in a harness wouldn't prevent most kidnappings. The overwhelming majority of kidnappings in the US are noncustodial parent abductions, and all the harnesses in the world won't prevent a noncustodial parent from neglecting to return their child after a visit. Carseats do prevent most deaths in automobile accidents, so it's an entirely different matter.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › UGH-SOME PEOPLE (vent!)