or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › Re-selling for more than retail...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Re-selling for more than retail... - Page 2

post #21 of 130
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
I don't necessarily feel critical of someone for selling higher than retail (obviously I do not know their circumstances), but I am definitely not comfortable doing it. It goes against my personal ethics. I also feel uncomfortable when I see something that I sold on the TP show up again selling for more than I asked. But, I like to think that is more often than not just a case of not being able to remember what you paid for something.

Yup, that is how I feel. However, selling something used for more than you paid (but still under retail) doesn't seem as bad. I'm sure I've done it for the reason you stated - I sometimes forget what I paid for items on the TP.
post #22 of 130
post #23 of 130
post #24 of 130
I think it is up to each individual and their own conscience/moral code. Economics says that sell it for whatever you can possibly get for it.

As a WAHM it would be annoying to know I sold something to someone who immediately sold it for a considerably larger profit on Ebay. Likely it would make me turn to not selling retail at all. Have an information website, but sell all items via auction instead of the craziness of stockings. Can you imagine how much more profit the hyena moms could make if they quit doing hyena cart/normal stockings but instead stocked via ebay? Their profits would be way up for sure.
post #25 of 130
Quote:
How do WAHMs feel when their items are sold higher than their retail price?
It pisses them off.

No, let me qualify that. When an item is resold by auction, and the opening bid is lower than the purchase price, and the BIN price is the same as or lower than the purchase price, *most* WAHM's I know actually get a kick out of seeing how high it will go.
What pisses them off (and no, I'm not speaking for myself here - the only things of mine that ever went above retail were because of e-bay bidding) is when someone posts on the TP, asking a price higher than that paid to the WAHM, or when the opening bid or BIN on an auction is higher than the purchase price. This is *particularly* infuriating when it happens to be a custom diaper that had a lot of work go into it (often with the WAHM caving to special requests just to please the customer, even when that isn't their normal mode of operation), or when someone sells off freebie diapers.

We all know that it's not up to us - once you sell the diaper (or give it away), nobody but the owner has any say in how much they can be sold for. But I do know that it does tick off many WAHM's. And they *do* notice.

Oh, and while we're on the subject.....it also pisses WAHM's off when people neglect to mention that the diaper being sold is a second, or an older style, or has had modifications made to it. It is very important, to maintain the integrity of the WAHM's business, that this be done!
post #26 of 130
I don't think it is right to ask more than you paid because there is a demand. If it goes higher on ebay than you have no control over it. However I think it is wrong when you try to make a profit off of a wahm's hard work. As for the arguement that the wahm should charge more, I think a lot of them try to keep there prices down so more people can try their products.
post #27 of 130
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehndi mama

Oh, and while we're on the subject.....it also pisses WAHM's off when people neglect to mention that the diaper being sold is a second, or an older style, or has had modifications made to it. It is very important, to maintain the integrity of the WAHM's business, that this be done!
Hmm, hadn't thought about that one. I can totally understand how that could hurt a WAHM....

Interesting!
post #28 of 130
let me play 's advocate for a second here. Kellie, don't mind me hijacking cos this is related... how do WAHMs feel when they know people purposely choose to put something up on ebay hoping that it will get them a profit? I know people have done this with hyena diapers and covers because they know people will pay more than they "should" and actually do it intentionally to make money, like they would with a collectible or antique item (though obviously a 6-month-old diaper is not antique :LOL). I just keep thinking if it was a diaper I'd made, I'd be ticked off. Or would you say to each his own and be glad because you might be able to raise your prices because of it?

(I hope that made sense, I'm sort of rambling, pretty )
post #29 of 130
They notice (and keep track of) the people who do this repeatedly. I've heard of some considering not accepting orders from some that do it often.
On an emotional level, it is devaluing to the WAHM and what they are trying to accomplish with their business. Like was mentioned by a PP, most WAHM's *don't* charge as much as they could, but they do so because they do want a wide range of people to be able to have a shot at buying their stuff. If they're trying to keep the field open, and then find people snapping up their hard work to make a quick profit.....well, it hurts.
Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. It's a gut-level thing, yk?
post #30 of 130
It doesn't bother me when I see a diaper on ebay go up really high in price....that is the consumers driving up the price.

I do get bent outta shape when I see someone posting something on the TP for say, double its original price, AND it has been used. : And I'm double pissy if someone buys something from me, and then jacks the price waaaaaaay up selling it again on the TP. I personally think there should be a rule against that. Maybe it is good capitalism, but it sure isn't very nice.
post #31 of 130
If I saw someone selling something they bought from me fo more than I sold it to them I would send them a PM asking what's up. I know I personally won't and don't remember the prices of most of my transactions especially if it's been longer than a few months. I will not rememebr what I paid for it, so I will ask what I think it's worth.
Ebay is tricky. I think there was a good point made about the asking price and the BIN price, if it's the same or lower than teh wahms than I will bid on it but I will not bid on something that;s higher cause I feel like they are putting it on ebay just to get a higher price. I have and will buy off the TP at a slightly higher price cause I know if they really wanted to make a killing they would have took it to ebay and I won't grudge an extra $5 on the asking price cause I know it's probably just going to buy more dipes if it's from here.
anyway, I will to an extent pay a few dollers more than it's worth but not like double or wirth and half. I really needed the money when I sold a KP yesterday and thought about ebay first but I didn't feel comfortable getting more than what I paid for, even though I can't really remember what that was I know it was a decent deal.
post #32 of 130
So this thread started out asking "as a buyer would you pay higher than retail for a hyena diaper" and it has turned into whether or not it's ethical to sell a diaper for more than retail value. Initially, I didn't feel it was a big deal to pay more than retail (like on ebay), but I didn't know that there are buyers that actually buy a product from a WAHM and then turn around to sell it and make a product. That's just wrong, IMO. I know WAHMs want to keep their prices low and affordable to many, but maybe they should also auction off a few items to get paid fair market value according to demands (so some WAHMs do this? I don't know...).

Personally, I have had someone buy something from me off the TP (after I accepted their lower offer than what I had asked), and then turn around and sell it the next week for more $. I was peeved, and I would never do that (and for some reason I remember ALL the prices I have paid for used dipes---even from months ago), but a lot of my stuff just sits there now and when the TP is slow, I'll take what $ I can get. Maybe I should just sell everything on ebay
post #33 of 130
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmommy
So this thread started out asking "as a buyer would you pay higher than retail for a hyena diaper" and it has turned into whether or not it's ethical to sell a diaper for more than retail value.
Actually, I asked because I am curious if others think it is okay to charge more than retail - not just pay more. I see people jumping at certain items on the TP that are over retail, so I am assuming they think that pricing them that high is okay.

I have to admit that I am a bit surprised at how many people are willing to pay more than retail. I did once (didn't realize I was doing so) and although I LOVED the item, I would not do it again. Once I found out how much the seller had paid, I felt like I was totally ripped off and the extra $$ should've gone to the WAHM.
post #34 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieblue
Actually, I asked because I am curious if others think it is okay to charge more than retail - not just pay more. I see people jumping at certain items on the TP that are over retail, so I am assuming they think that pricing them that high is okay.
Oh wow---I did not know this was happening here on the TP : (But that's probably because I don't go for the hyena-high dollar stuff in the first place ). I say that's a big in my book.
post #35 of 130
It makes me wonder when I see things listed for more than the retail price. It makes me wonder if the WAHM who made this diaper did so out of the kindess of her heart when her cart went crazy and honored to many purchases. It makes me wonder if this was an item that the WAHM made in additition to those original items listed in her store, just to make that mama happy. I know a lot of WAHM's who have done this because they are wonderful and sweet. I know if I were that WAHM I would be very angry to see it relisted for more than what I sold it for.

That's why I don't buy things listed for more than the retail value of that item. E-bay is different, it's an auction and things are supposed to go to the highest bidder. I just don't think it's right for the seller to ask for an inflated price. JMO.
post #36 of 130
I would never ask more for an item than I paid. I agree with what everyone is saying about WAHM's being kind enough to offer a quality product with amazing customer service - why take advantage of their kindness? I wonder if some see WAHM's as a faceless name and have no problem taking their product and then jacking the price to turn a buck.

I feel the same about what has happend a few times recently on the TP when a mama gives away diapers for a mom in need and then they end up back on the TP or ebay for a profit
post #37 of 130
Mama's I am absolutely floored. I had no idea this was such a problem. I did catch the one thread about stuff ending up ebay, which just gave me a sinking feeling.

I can see ebay being a different situation than our TP, but to do something like that here in our own little "home" feels wrong. Ack

I don't think I've ever paid more than retail for anything. I might pay more but it would depend on what the item was. It would have to be BIG YUMMY
post #38 of 130
<donning flame-proof suit> I really do not see what the problem is with selling something as high as you can.

I mean, its just speculating. Now, diapers is a bit of a funny field to be doing that in, to be sure. But plenty of people buy a chunk of land that someone needs to unload, divide it into lots, and sell it for a huge profit. Not too many people get in a hissy fit about that.

Why is it any different from buying a baker's dozen of Elbee, and selling them individually (of lots of three, what have you) on Ebay?

It's just like real estate, people.

Now, that said, I have neither done this, nor do I plan to, but I really don't get the big deal.
post #39 of 130
I don't really see the big deal either. : WAHMs should just raise their prices if they don't like it. : I've sold some ElBees on the TP for a few dollars over retail. I don't see what the big deal is. A, I didn't order them with the intent of doing that, they just didn't end up fitting so I sold them. B, the way I justified it to myself was that I did the waiting for a year on those so the person was paying a few extra $$$ for instant gratification. It was also a pretty good deal because I could have gone to ebay and doubled the price.
Now I guess I understand the problem if a certain few people are using their fast connection to snatch things up with the intent of reselling them for a profit. I realize this probably happens more than I think, but is it really a major widespread problem?
I really think there are lots and lots of WAHMs that need to raise their prices. :
post #40 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTT
It's just like real estate, people.
Yeah, like I said....it may be good capitalism, but it sure isn't very nice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Diapering
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › Re-selling for more than retail...