- alpha-fetoprotein test is a blood test. from this site:
|An AFP test is only a screening test. The most it can do is point to a possible problem. If the results of an AFP test point to a problem, other tests will be needed to confirm the results. Bear in mind that most AFP test results are normal. Even when they are not, the results of the follow-up tests most often are.
- I am declining this test because 1) I'm not at high risk, 2) I do not trust the results and do not want any unnecessary worry, and 3) am not certain that any negative conclusions would make me want to terminate a pregnancy.GBS
- Group B Strep from this site:
|The test is done to detect the presence of Group B Streptococcus (GBS). Group B Strep is not the same bacteria that cause strep throat (Group A Streptococcus.) Group B Strep is normally found in the vagina and/or lower intestine of many healthy women, but few people become sick from it. Group B Strep IS a concern during pregnancy because it can cause urinary tract, uterine infections, and can be harmful to the baby if it is transmitted during birth.
- I am declining this test because 1) I'm having a homebirth and my mother does not provide IV antibiotics at a homebirth, so if I had GBS then I'd be encouraged to deliver in a hospital and 2) if treatment is necessary, other indications of GBS are likely to come up during pregnancy. So mostly I just don't want to know.GD
- Gestational diabetes from this site:
|Tests for gestational diabetes have two parts. First, you drink about one full glass of a sugar drink. Then, after a certain amount of time, a doctor, nurse, or other healthcare worker takes a sample of your blood and tests the blood to see how much sugar is in it (called a blood sugar test).
- I am declining this test because I'm not at high risk. I did take this test during my last pregnancy to satisfy my backup OB, but I'm not sure that I'll be using that OB again. I'm not sure that I'll have a backup OB at all, actually.
The websites I used simply for their definitions and have not read all of their content. Some of the content I glimpsed, however was information that I would disagree with.