or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › Definition of "troll"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definition of "troll"

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
What is the definition of a "troll"?
post #2 of 19
http://lotsofkids.com/LOK-Features/Articles/troll.htm
post #3 of 19
My definition of a troll is people who come here to stir up trouble. They do not have much interest in Mothering or AP parenting. They are here to have fun by pissing as many off as possible. There are some trolls here that are allowed to stay for some unknown reason. They continue to stir up trouble and get away with it freely.

IT SUCKS!!!
post #4 of 19
I agree with Marg.
And it does suck!
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by weebitty2
Really great article- thanks!
Annette
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg of Arabia
My definition of a troll is people who come here to stir up trouble. They do not have much interest in Mothering or AP parenting. They are here to have fun by pissing as many off as possible. There are some trolls here that are allowed to stay for some unknown reason. They continue to stir up trouble and get away with it freely.

IT SUCKS!!!
Marg certainly hit the nail on the head!
post #7 of 19
I am trying to get my head around this concept of a troll. The article at lots of kids was informative, but this bit disturbed me.
Quote:
Trolling is a form of terrorism, a form of control. Like when fighting any kind of terrorism, we cannot give in to our fears.
Am also wondering if *I* fit the definition of a troll......

It makes me feel a bit sad. Now, I'm wondering, does that sound like I'm trying to emotionally manipulate others? I'm sorry if it does, not trying to do that at all....... I just write what I think, you know? I try & leave out the not-so-helpful stuff, but.................

Man....................... I think I think too much. Or maybe I'm just too willing to give the benefit of doubt......
post #8 of 19
Cynthia, it's curious that you've never responded to the OP.

I personally would be very interested in seeing a public, working definition of "troll" here. It would be very useful, IMO, in helping everyone determine who does and does not qualify, and likely would also stop a lot of the grumbling that's been going on lately.

Just think - it would likely cut down on your work and the mods' work. That way, you'd not have a bunch of us running to you quite as frequently saying that there's a troll afoot, when in fact said alleged troll doesn't, and likely never would, qualify as a "troll" under whatever definition, if any, that you're using.

To be a troll, does one need to post messages and threads that a majority, or a minority, or some other number of the readers of a particular forum would find to be baiting? Or are "trolls" only those who allegedly bait you and/or the mods? Or is some other definition being used?
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Cynthia, I will PM you later so I don't talk about other threads or members here.

A MDC definition would be helpful. Thanks.
post #10 of 19
generic info
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=212723
post #11 of 19
As I told you clearly in your PM to me questioning the same thing Marlena we have no clear cut troll definition. The OP asked what the definition of a troll is and she got a few responses that seemed sufficient for her question.

As for administration and moderating purposes here we look at each situation as it arises and decide, case by case. We don't have a one, two, three criteria for you to hold up to members and judge them by. Nor is there a need or desire on our part for members to do so. That's our job. We've always advised members to not respond to posts they believe are by trolls and to report those they suspect to be trolls. Thereafter it is for us to look into and decide and take action or not.

Does that clarify it for you?
post #12 of 19
The question arises, not only for myself but, as you are well aware, for many other people here, because you've consistently allowed a few obvious trolls - well, at least as perceived by large number of us - to continue posting. They are trolls according to the various definitions posted here. So if the OP is satisfied, I'm not sure why. I'm sure not. I'll bet others aren't, either.

So no, neither your response here nor your response to me via PM clarifies the question at all.
post #13 of 19
Then I can't help you Marlena. We don't have/use such definitions here as official measuring sticks. We look at each case and decide.
post #14 of 19
Perhaps we can take this tact, then: what does "baiting" mean to you, Cynthia? Could you perhaps give an example of a baiting post?

Though that's a useless tact if, for example, you don't think that baiting is a part of being a troll.

Perhaps, then, you could provide us with an example of behavior you've considered to be "trollish" in the past. As you have, in fact, banned at least several members on account of being trolls. What qualified as "trollish" in the past?

Or are you taking the Fifth?
post #15 of 19
Whatever I might provide you as an example from the past is not appropriate for you to use as a claim of trollism evidence against another member here. As I have said each and every case is different and looked at individually and decided on. So an example would be pointless. You are not is the position of authority or responbsibility to identify or label a member as a troll. So it's not really something for you to be overly concerned with. Just post according to the UA and you'll have no problem. Those whose posting irritate you you can put on ignore and be done with.
post #16 of 19
Quote:
So it's not really something for you to be overly concerned with. Just post according to the UA and you'll have no problem.
But this, with all due respect, is patently nonsense. One can't post according to the UA if one can't get a proper working definition of relevant terms and concepts.

Otherwise, it becomes somewhat like a little dictatorship, where the administrator is dictator and can discipline or even remove his serfs and subjects at his whim, and where there is no recourse to procedure or rules of law.

I mean, that's fine, if you want MotheringDotDictatorship, but you allegedly have MotheringDotCommune here. There's quite a disconnect!
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlena
But this, with all due respect, is patently nonsense. One can't post according to the UA if one can't get a proper working definition of relevant terms and concepts.

Otherwise, it becomes somewhat like a little dictatorship, where the administrator is dictator and can discipline or even remove his serfs and subjects at his whim, and where there is no recourse to procedure or rules of law.

I mean, that's fine, if you want MotheringDotDictatorship, but you allegedly have MotheringDotCommune here. There's quite a disconnect!
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher
As I told you clearly in your PM to me questioning the same thing Marlena we have no clear cut troll definition. The OP asked what the definition of a troll is and she got a few responses that seemed sufficient for her question.

As for administration and moderating purposes here we look at each situation as it arises and decide, case by case. We don't have a one, two, three criteria for you to hold up to members and judge them by. Nor is there a need or desire on our part for members to do so. That's our job. We've always advised members to not respond to posts they believe are by trolls and to report those they suspect to be trolls. Thereafter it is for us to look into and decide and take action or not.

Does that clarify it for you?

With allllll due respect, CM, this sounds so very suceptible to being very subjective. Is that what this "community" is about? Subjective determinations of who should be allowed to stay and who not?
post #19 of 19
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › Definition of "troll"