or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › is there a SAHM forum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

is there a SAHM forum?

post #1 of 232
Thread Starter 
I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask this. Why is there no dedicated SAHM subforum here at MDC (seems like a natural for either Parenting Issues or Finding Your Tribe), or if there is why can't I find it? I know there are various SAHM threads in different places, but that's not quite the same as a board just for SAHM issues.
post #2 of 232
I don't remember the official verdict (there's been this discussion before) but I think that those threads usually fall into the other forums, such as Finding Your Tribe.

Maybe if there was enough demand, it could happen.
post #3 of 232
The answer I've heard is that most moms here are SAHM's so they don't need a special forum. However, try posting a SAHM post and you'll be attacked by the WOHMs and you'll learn very quickly that SAHMs have a muzzle over their mouths here when they try to discuss issues specific to SAHMs and not all moms in general.

I think there should be a SAHM forum.
post #4 of 232
Moving this to the Q & S forums...

Tana, if you were to get attacked by a wohm for posting a sahm post, you should notify a mod. Such behavior is against the UA and isn't allowed.
post #5 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5
I don't remember the official verdict (there's been this discussion before) but I think that those threads usually fall into the other forums, such as Finding Your Tribe.

Maybe if there was enough demand, it could happen.
from what I can tell, there has been "talk" but no "action"

the discussion is like a sailboat. the wind blows in and out of the sails.
post #6 of 232
This topic seems to be the purple elephant in the MDC livingroom.

Here is a request thread for a SAHM forum:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=203545

If you feel that there is a true need here at MDC for a SAHM forum, then probably the best approach would be to contact the administration of MDC and request one respectfully.
post #7 of 232
:

And you thought you were asking an innocent question...

No, "because SAHMs do not have unique issues to talk about," and, "they might make comments offensive to WOHM/ WAHMs."
post #8 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP
I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask this. Why is there no dedicated SAHM subforum here at MDC (seems like a natural for either Parenting Issues or Finding Your Tribe), or if there is why can't I find it? I know there are various SAHM threads in different places, but that's not quite the same as a board just for SAHM issues.
SAHMs deserve a safe space to discuss their issues, just like working, single, lesbian, adoptive, multiples, a special needs moms deserve. A FYT thread just doesn't do it, and none of the other forums are quintessentially safe spaces for SAHMs.

muzzled here, too at times!
post #9 of 232
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies. In reading through the thread last month that Lisa posted a link to, it seems to me the mods have made up their minds that there will be no SAHM (or more correctly SAHP, don't want to exclude dads by any means) forum or subforum, and I feel sad that they don't recognize the "need", at least as much need as there is for all the other divisions. There have been quite a few times since I joined MDC that I wanted to post a SAHM-specific question, concern, observation or vent but didn't do so because it just didn't seem to fit into any of the existing areas. (Speaking of venting, didn't Cynthia say in one of those posts from the SAHM forum discussion last month that vent posts were not appropriate at MDC? I totally don't get that. Seems I've read a whole lot of venting posts here - i.e. "why the &*%# can't I pee in privacy?" - and SAHMs surely have a need to vent now and then about frustrations unique to their situation.)

I hope I'm wrong and they *are* giving it honest consideration.
post #10 of 232
I hope you are wrong too - I haven't been able to understand the reluctance, it seems like every argument has been given a careful and considerate response by those that want the forum but so far it's been to no avail
post #11 of 232
Thread Starter 
[QUOTE=meowee]:

And you thought you were asking an innocent question...

:LOL Shoulda known better. I suspected the subject had come up, and seeing as how the issue of being a SAHM can fan certain defensive feelings into flames, I should have expected it to have been on the contentious side. I looked for it but was unsuccessful. (I find searching for anything on the computer to be difficult while under a barrage of a steady stream of questions about dinosaurs and their individual attributes, which is my son's ongoing obsession and one about which he can converse for hours. And is it my imagination that the questions escalate when I get anywhere within 10 feet of my computer?) Anyway, sorry to pick at the scab. Or maybe I'm not sorry. Mods, I respectfully request a SAHM forum! I would frequent it, I would post, I would reply, I would not bash WOHMs. Pretty please.
post #12 of 232
They must be aware of the 11th commandment...

Thou shalt not create a SAHM forum.
post #13 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee
They must be aware of the 11th commandment...

Thou shalt not create a SAHM forum.
:LOL Oh no! I do not like that commandment one bit!
post #14 of 232
I wish we could have a SAHM forum too...the FYT threads get way too lengthy.
post #15 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP
I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask this. Why is there no dedicated SAHM subforum here at MDC (seems like a natural for either Parenting Issues or Finding Your Tribe), or if there is why can't I find it? I know there are various SAHM threads in different places, but that's not quite the same as a board just for SAHM issues.
No. But a subforum to Learning at School was just added.

Because - you know - the learning at school forum gets so much traffic
post #16 of 232

i agree there is a need

being new here, I am also confused about the lack of SAHM forum..... I never realized a lot of the dynamic of being a SAHM til it was a reality, and I'd like to discuss some of these murky issues..... and the occaisonal venting, like when people ask, "Are you working?, too?" .....
I think there are different issues particular to SAHMs and I don't understand why this would offend anyone! seems obvious to me since there are forums for everything else here!
post #17 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
I wish we could have a SAHM forum too...the FYT threads get way too lengthy.
I know. It's no fun and doesn't feel like a "safe place" to discuss difficult issues.
post #18 of 232
not only that, but the issues seem to get buried alot of times in FYT. :
post #19 of 232
I hate to be the pessimist here, but from experience I can say don't waste your time. They have made it abundantly clear that they don't care. In fact, they just ignore us and don't even answer our legitimate questions like:


WHY DO THE WOHMS GET A FORUM??????????????????????????
post #20 of 232
come on, think about it. what's your image of the "average" mothering mother? Well for me, it's like this (this is the assessment I've come up with after being here...over 4 years.) this is sort of the default as I've percieved it:

-wealthy (aka definitely not poor)
-married
-stay at home mom
-christian
-at least 2 kids
-probably drives an suv or minivan
-midwestern

that's why there needs to be a forum for working moms, in my opinion. working moms are the freaks, here, not you guys! If you ever need to talk about the issues central to staying home all day, there are bajillions of threads about how to clean and do laundry and entertain a child all day long. That's one reason why I come here. It's one of the few places where people like me who "do not work" are not treated like dirt. Of course, most of the moms who stay home have maids here, as well as husbands, but whatever. At least there is unity on the staying home front. Not saying, shut up be happy. Just saying, I sort of disagree that the SAHM thing is lacking here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › is there a SAHM forum?