Lots of interesting things here.
We have a Maytag Neptune.
We are too fighting the stink. THings have gotten better though. Here are some of my findings:
* Tried Sportwash - hated it! IT makes the diapers smell way worse than when we don't use it.
* Haven't tried Bac-Out. I have heard good things about that.
* Boiling hemp didn't seem to work much for me.
* I added water to the cycle, but I'm not sure if I was doing it right. I probably needed to strip my diapers and so the adding extra water didn't really do a whole lot. I guess the delicates cycle uses more water so we use that.
* Vinegar is horrible - it makes things smell really bad.
* I've heard that detergent rinses better in warm or hot water. Our hot cycle only has a cold rinse so I run an extra warm rinse.
* I've also heard that detergent rinses out better with softer water, so I just started putting some Calgon water softener in too.
* I also turn the water heater up (although, the water gets really hot so don't forget to turn it down, like I always do).
So, here's my routine - and it seems like it is getting better:
hot/cold on delicate cycle, pre-wash, heavy soil, extra rinse - 1/2 cup of baking soda and 1 T of Arm and Hammer powder detergent - 1 capful of TTO in the rinse tray.
Then, a lot of times I'll do another rinse or two on warm/warm
I hang my fuzzibunz to dry and I dry my hemp joeybunz in the dryer for like 80 minutes or so.
I think the thing that helped the most was turning up the water heat.
We have pretty poor water pressure, so that might have something to do with our problem. I'd never heard that before.