or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › resale on ebay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

resale on ebay

post #1 of 163
Thread Starter 
There have been many "hyena" diapers going for above retail on ebay lately. Discussion?
post #2 of 163
I have mixed feelings about the high prices that some items go for on eBay. I personally will not pay more than retail for hyena items. I just can't do it. Thus, I have to stalk like crazy to get FCB, el bee, KP and Luxe items. Yet, I think eBay is nice in ways because it gives everyone a fair shot at an item and they determine the price they are willing to pay for it.

I do feel it is wrong to buy a hyena item and just turn around and put it on eBay to make a profit on it. I feel it isn't fair to the WAHM. I have never done that because I have a very hard time letting go of my hyena items and only do so when they no longer fit my ds.
post #3 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarwoman
I do feel it is wrong to buy a hyena item and just turn around and put it on eBay to make a profit on it. I feel it isn't fair to the WAHM. I have never done that because I have a very hard time letting go of my hyena items and only do so when they no longer fit my ds.
its not that they turn right around and do it but buy it and soon after they have gotten their use choose to put it on ebay to milk it for the money.
There is no way you can honestly tell me these elbees in the past few weeks on ebay havent been put straight on their for the money.
post #4 of 163
I honestly don't get why people pay such high prices for used stuff on ebay. I mean, even take Motherease. They go for 6 bucks minimum used. I found some super cheap once on a BIN so I have 7. But before I'd pay 6 dollars, I'd just buy new ones for $3 more.

As far as the hyena stuff, it's all just silly IMO. I mean, the baby only wears it for 2 hours max, then into the laundry it goes. I got into cloth diapering largely for the cost savings though AND my baby isnt' a heavy wetter or particularly hard to fit, so that could be partly why I don't get it.

And buying things just to put them on ebay could definitely backfire if the lust for the item goes down too quickly and they can't get their money back. I got 2 new SOS's for $12 each recently. I don't think that that person was just trying to resell at a huge profit or anything though.
post #5 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE
its not that they turn right around and do it but buy it and soon after they have gotten their use choose to put it on ebay to milk it for every penny they can get.
There is no way you can not honestly tell me these elbees in the past few weeks on ebay havent been put straight on their for the money.
Yes, I agree that it is probably an item that was quickly out grown or something of that sort. About the el bees, I'm taking the 5th. I don't want to assume anything about anyone.
post #6 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarwoman
Yes, I agree that it is probably an item that was quickly out grown or something of that sort. About the el bees, I'm taking the 5th. I don't want to assume anything about anyone.
I do want to assume because it is pretty obvious when a dipe goes for $60 and all the sudden a bunch pop up after that, its VERY suspicious. And I did have 1 mom(a friend) tell me(comment) she wanted to ebay her elbees for the money.
post #7 of 163
SEEPAE, yeah, I see your point.
post #8 of 163
I personally don't have the funds to spend the money that some do on Ebay so I just watch and enjoy. I think it's one thing when a new diaper that the original diaper maker (for example Fluffymail) puts on sells for a higher price. Then I know that the WAHM is getting the money that she deserves.

However, I do think it is a bit much when some of these used (and stained) items are going for more than what they originally resell for. I know that the hyena items absolutely rock and that is why they are coined that. But are there not other non-hyena dipes out there that potentially work just as well? The question is are people buying these dipes because of the way they work, fit, etc. or just to say they scored a (fill in the blank with your favorite hyena item)?
post #9 of 163
I see both sides of this issue and I don't have a strong opinion on it in general. Personally, I would not put a WAHM item on ebay just for the money. I see that as exploiting the WAHM and her hard work. What if all WAHM's decided to only sell on Ebay? I think the Elbee making mama is generous to sell her dipes off ebay! She could make good money if she weren't kind enough to sell the way she does.
post #10 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2orionplus1
I think it's one thing when a new diaper that the original diaper maker (for example Fluffymail) puts on sells for a higher price. Then I know that the WAHM is getting the money that she deserves.
I think the WAHM auctions are awesome! I dont care how they go for and someone pays, if I had a lot of money Id have bid on the FM auctions too, its profiting off someone elses work that gets me.
post #11 of 163
Doesn't bother me a bit. I think people should get as much as they can for their property. I don't think it's unfair to the WAHM, either. If a WAHM is only charging half the market value for her items, that's HER choice. She can set whatever price she likes. In fact, in a way, I wish that these ebay auctions would serve as a wake-up call to the hyena WAHMs that they are severely underpricing their wares, and they should jack up their prices a few notches. The downside of that is that, if they do that, I personally won't be able to buy any hyena items, but at least the WAHMs would get what they really should get for their work, instead of letting the ebay auctioneers get the lion's share of the profit on the dipe. I realize, of course, that the WAHMs are just being nice and want everyone to be able to buy their diapers, which I really appreciate as a poor person, but they shouldn't be surprised when the items re-sell at their true market value.
post #12 of 163
I've changed my mind since posting : I'm going to sleep on this and find something brilliant to say in the morning
post #13 of 163
since we are on the Elbee topic I just wanted to say FYI She is raising her prices and by what she marked on the customs form as the retail it looks like its going to be a $10CDN increase
post #14 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE
She is raising her prices and by what she marked on the customs form as the retail it looks like its going to be a $10CDN increase
Good for her!

Bad for me!

post #15 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
Good for her!

Bad for me!

yeah I know, LOL, that just means if I ever got an order in the future id get 2 or more less
but the increase wont take place for a good while
post #16 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE
There is no way you can honestly tell me these elbees in the past few weeks on ebay havent been put straight on their for the money.
Well this thread is perfect timing as I list my hyena stuff on ebay just last night

I think that comment is so judjemental and RUDE.I listed an el bee last night on ebay and you know what it was for the money.I have hit very hard times and am selling everything.We are having to pack up and move because we are losing our house.I just had my son's birthday and Christmas in a row and now have my taxes due.So yes I need money and chose to put an el bee on ebay instead of the tp.If people will pay above retail , as I have in the past , then sometimes in life you need to not always do what everyone considers the right thing.I am not hurting anyone.

Statements like that just really make me want to leave this place for good.How dare anyone be judged for where they sell an item.Should I add the disclaimer to my auctions that yes I need money right now but in the past month have spent almost $300 on Christmas for needy families and shipping their boxes.Listing something for money on ebay in no way reflects on who I am as a person.

And too talk about two other members here and what they listed and said on the tp is horrible too.We all know who you are talking about and how awful to put them on the spot like that.Also it is against the rules.

Wow I am beyond angry right now.Seriously I just want to know if all you who sit around judging every one else's actions need a life or what.
post #17 of 163
Jaime. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. I joined the debate and stated what *I* feel comfortable with. It doesn't mean the opposite is bad or wrong (at least IMO).

I'm so sorry to hear things are rough for you financially right now. I know how it is, and I hope things look up for you soon.
post #18 of 163
Its al about supply and demand really. There no supply and huge demand. I sold and Elbee before Christmas for less than $30. I tried it out didnt think it was all it was hyped up to be, I mean really my son peed right through it in one pee. It's no better than what I can sew my self, and I thought ok I need $ for Christmas it makes no sense to keep it so I sold it. I had a total of $70 to spend on my 4 kids and DH with that $, so it almost doubled my Christmas budget and was able to actually get my kids some presents they wouldn't have had any. So yeah I feel totally fine I sold it.

It comes down to this, if someone is dumb enought to pay that much $ for a diaper than let them. But don't blame it on the mamma who is selling it for much needed cash. It's not her fault.
post #19 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaylou
Jaime. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. I joined the debate and stated what *I* feel comfortable with. It doesn't mean the opposite is bad or wrong (at least IMO).

I'm so sorry to hear things are rough for you financially right now. I know how it is, and I hope things look up for you soon.
Thanks.I don't like that I have to explain my actions and put my personal business out for all to see just to defend myself and explain that I am not greedy.

I am really mad not just for me but the other people who are being talked about in this thread.I happen to know they do a lot of giving to others.So how can anyone feel they can judge someone by the simple act of listing things on ebay.
post #20 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005
It comes down to this, if someone is dumb enought to pay that much $ for a diaper than let them.
Um, the people who *sell* hyena diapers on ebay aren't the only ones who read this board. The people who *buy* hyena diapers on ebay also read this board. In fact, I think most of us here, at one time or another, have paid more than we really should have for a diapering item.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Diapering
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › resale on ebay