or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › post your fave crockpot recipe!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

post your fave crockpot recipe! - Page 25

post #481 of 700
Cornstarch is super refined and not healthy at all. It's also made from corn which in almost all cases in genetically modified. It also will only thicken to a point before reversing and thinning out what you are trying to thicken. Arrowroot is healthier because it's not gmo, and it doesn't not reverse on itself. Kuzu root is even better because it is super healthy for you.
post #482 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
I would LOVE your recipes for these! I've got a notebook going with printouts from you ladies! Let me know if anyone wants me to email them a compiled Word document of recipes from this thread!

Oh wow, would I ever love to have that. I haven't copied everything down yet, but would like to.
post #483 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr View Post
Cornstarch is super refined and not healthy at all. It's also made from corn which in almost all cases in genetically modified. It also will only thicken to a point before reversing and thinning out what you are trying to thicken. Arrowroot is healthier because it's not gmo, and it doesn't not reverse on itself. Kuzu root is even better because it is super healthy for you.
Where would one find arrowroot or Kuzu root and how does one make the substitution? (Keeping in mind that I live in the middle of nowhere...)
post #484 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr View Post
Cornstarch is super refined and not healthy at all. It's also made from corn which in almost all cases in genetically modified. It also will only thicken to a point before reversing and thinning out what you are trying to thicken. Arrowroot is healthier because it's not gmo, and it doesn't not reverse on itself. Kuzu root is even better because it is super healthy for you.
Just out of curiosity, exactly what about it is not healthy at all? I mean, I understand that some people want to avoid genetically modified food. But in what way isn't it healthy? Or more specifically, is there some way that cornstarch has been demonstrated to be unhealthy, as in bad for your health as opposed to just being a food ingredient that's rather empty in terms of its nutritional content? Not trying to argue that it's a great food or anything, but I'm still trying to figure out whether I should avoid it or just treat it as I do now, as something that's kindof an empty calorie/carb source.

As for thickening, I haven't had any problem with the thickening reversing except when you freeze it. If it's gonna be frozen, then I do think it gets thinner. Not horribly so though.

I'd love to have a thickener that worked better and was healthier, but given that I'd have to prolly order it from some online place and pay a lot, I am just trying to sort out whether it would be worth it, esp on our tight budget. Cornstarch is cheap and available at the IGA.
post #485 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
I want to pull out the crock again, but now that the temps are heating up the crock recipes I know sound so wintery. Any summer fair ideas? I liked the farmer's market one, it still sound a bit winteryish. Maybe I'm dreamin'. Any crockpot gazpacho recipes out there .
try "fresh from the vegetarian slow cooker"
post #486 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama View Post
Oh wow, would I ever love to have that. I haven't copied everything down yet, but would like to.
You know what? My computer got stolen and I didn't have that file backed up! I did pass the file on to two mamas here before that happened....but I don't know who (I erased the emails).

Anyone???
post #487 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
You know what? My computer got stolen and I didn't have that file backed up! I did pass the file on to two mamas here before that happened....but I don't know who (I erased the emails).
Gosh, I'm sorry to hear about your computer. That sucks! s

If anyone does have the file to pass along, I would be most thankful.

Anyone?
post #488 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama View Post
Just out of curiosity, exactly what about it is not healthy at all? I mean, I understand that some people want to avoid genetically modified food. But in what way isn't it healthy? Or more specifically, is there some way that cornstarch has been demonstrated to be unhealthy, as in bad for your health as opposed to just being a food ingredient that's rather empty in terms of its nutritional content? Not trying to argue that it's a great food or anything, but I'm still trying to figure out whether I should avoid it or just treat it as I do now, as something that's kindof an empty calorie/carb source.
Arrowroot as a thickener is pretty easy to find. I get at my local HFS.

For more on why corn is dangerous, watch "The Future of Food". People have had serious reactions to genetically modified corn. That stuff freaks me out.
post #489 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Arrowroot as a thickener is pretty easy to find. I get at my local HFS.

For more on why corn is dangerous, watch "The Future of Food". People have had serious reactions to genetically modified corn. That stuff freaks me out.
Yeah, but do they have it at the local IGA? I live in a midwestern small town pop 2200. What you can find easily in your town may be rarer than hens teeth here. (We have quite a few hens!)

About corn, what sort of reaction? If all corn is genetically modified and I'm eating corn and not having a reaction, does that mean I'm not eating genetically modified corn? And getting back to the other question, aside from potentially being made from genetically modified corn and from being essentially "empty calories" what bad and unhealthy things have been shown about corn starch?

Not intending to sound argumentative, but like I said, when you live in the middle of nowhere and are trying to budget where you spend and save money, you want to choose the things that are going to make the greatest difference for yourself and family. I wish I could afford to have everything be organic and always fresh and so on, but it's just not a realistic expectation for us. At least not now. So I try to balance cost and benefit and time and availability and a host of other factors. Ykwim.
post #490 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama View Post
Gosh, I'm sorry to hear about your computer. That sucks! s

If anyone does have the file to pass along, I would be most thankful.

Anyone?
I have a Word file of about 55 recipes from here--not all of them, but probably around 70%. PM me if you want it, if no one can come up with Emma's file.
post #491 of 700
:
post #492 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama View Post
Not intending to sound argumentative, but like I said, when you live in the middle of nowhere and are trying to budget where you spend and save money, you want to choose the things that are going to make the greatest difference for yourself and family. I wish I could afford to have everything be organic and always fresh and so on, but it's just not a realistic expectation for us. At least not now. So I try to balance cost and benefit and time and availability and a host of other factors. Ykwim.

: Same here.. That is why I end up buying so much online, and jump for joy during spring and summer for the Farmer's Markets!!
post #493 of 700
I figured I wasn't the only one. It's a tough balance. I did make a fantastic discovery this weekend though. I drove up to meet my mom for lunch on Saturday in one of the small towns that's in between us. They have a nice little family type cafe that is very good. Afterward we discovered a really neat little Mennonite store which sells a lot of bulk foods and dry goods and organice stuff and so on. It was surprisingly well stocked with a variety of things. And the prices were good. I came home with a bunch of stuff like organic grains, dry beans, dried fruit, seasonings and spices. I even found a small container of that arrowroot to try. And stevia powder! I have been wanting to try stevia as a sweetener since I'm trying to lose weight and it's supposed to be a good natural substitute to aspartame. I am excited to have stocked up on a few things and even made some granola last night. Today we ate out for mother's day, but I will cook some beans tomorrow. I hope I can go back to this shop again soon. It's closer than the nearest healthfoods store in the city. By the time you pay gas, it's prolly not cheaper than shopping online, but it's more fun picking stuff out in person.
post #494 of 700

chicken and rice recipe?

i tried searching through the posts here but there are many! i was at trader joe's yesterday and they were serving a chicken/rice dish where she poured a jar of the pineapple salsa in. i want to try it in the crock.

so my question is how much liquid to rice ratio so that it will turn out nice and fluffy with no left over liquid? is it the same as i would cook it on the stove?

tia!
post #495 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
I have a Word file of about 55 recipes from here--not all of them, but probably around 70%. PM me if you want it, if no one can come up with Emma's file.
I do, too (about 77 recipes), if anyone wants to see it, see the post below:
post #496 of 700
As a matter of fact, I'll make it even easier than that. Here it is:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcmp6fcj_11dw9x82
post #497 of 700
Thanks, chasmyn!

post #498 of 700
subbing,
Quick questions for those who use a crockpot often. I have 6Qt crockpot and whenever I cook the top gets dry and the food gets stuck on sides and bottom. How can I prevent this? TIA
post #499 of 700
thank you, chasmyn!
post #500 of 700
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nutrition and Good Eating
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › post your fave crockpot recipe!