how to make soup
Wow, many very organized mamas out there. I'm pretty new at this, but I have my favorite recipies and I look through them each week (well, the ones both I and my dh(? what exactly does this stand for?). Then I buy enough for two or three meals and cook them when I feel like it. I like the ideas I'm hearing because they'll help me save money. I'll never be able to keep staying at home if I keep spending so much on groceries.
I keep on hand:
- canned spicy refried beans
- tortillas (these 2 plus cheese make our version of quesadillas, easy adn quick, once every 2 weeks or so)
- spaghetti sauce from a jar
- one frozen entree just in case I don't want to cook
- chicken broth that I make, add to my son's food, veggies, whatever
- greens like kale or whatever is cheapest and freshest to use as a side dish
- lettuce if there is any that looks worth buying and is organic
- frozen bread for toast for me and my baby
- frozen organic ground turkey, stew beef if available, chicken thighs or whatever org chicken is on sale
- brown rice for arroz con pollo, which we also have about every 2 weeks
Originally Posted by dharmamama
Making soup each week is great because I can use up veggies that will go bad soon and also use veggies that I've harvested or been given or have bought large amounts of due to sale or season. I've been able to incorporate just about every veggie except lettuce into a soup of some sort!!
I love this idea. My question is: How do you make soup that your husband likes? My dh is picky, and if I do something experimental he rarely eats it.