or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › I may get flamed for saying this...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I may get flamed for saying this... - Page 3

post #41 of 65
lol, no sorry I didn't explain well. I don't buy because it makes me mad, so I refuse to be stuck to my computer trying to very quickly buy something as they stock, only to know there are other people trying to beat me, only to sell those things more expensive. I don't like being involved in that.. kwim?
post #42 of 65
I just knew this was going to end up being a really long thread! I just wanted to thank all of the people who put their dipes on Ebay so people like me, who were working during the last stocking, have a chance to score(which I did!) I have no hard feelings towards the people I am shelling big bucks out to, I say "GOOD FOR YOU!!!"
post #43 of 65
Quote:
But the story you just told has GOT to be familiar to any one of us with fluff addictions--how often have we juggled and redistributed fluff funds/spending when some new thing we just HAD to buy(that maybe we weren't expecting) popped up and we got carried away, budget-wise?
If there's a club for these specific people, can I join? :LOL It's happened to me more times than I can count
post #44 of 65
I actually appreciate people who buy them up and put them on ebay, because it makes it possible for those who are not good at stalking to get them. It bothers me when I'm willing to pay more than the asking price for something but someone else gets it for less money because they get to it first. It does NOT bother me, however, if the reason I can't get something is that someone else is willing to pay more than I am for it. If they're willing to pay more than I am, then they should get it!
post #45 of 65
I think I fall asleep at night more often than not thinking, 'What could I sell to raise up enough paypal to buy.....x y z....' And thinking about how to get up the most paypal usually involves resorting to ebay! No shame in that-I'd basically never support WAHMs if I couldn't ebay!
post #46 of 65
Yep, I just couldn't pass up that poodle AIO.. it was just too cute... don't know why my husband is making me sell some to replace it??? I mean I only have enough diapers to last about 2 weeks without washing. :
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom
you're not missing a thing.


and I agree with Jamie--I don't ponder what others do with their dipes.
Judging a person's actions when you don't know the whole story is just crummy--you don't know why they might need to ebay their brand new hyena fluff and it just isn't anyone outside that family's business.
Just to make sure I understand the new MDC rule here:

We are not supposed to sit around and think about what others are doing with their diapers. However, it is perfectly acceptable to sit around and think about what others are thinking about what others are doing with their diapers. :LOL

Do I have this right? Meta-theory is fine, but no theory allowed.

I for one, like to think about things. When I see something that bothers me, I like to try and figure out why it bothers me. Individuals do not live in little autonomous bubbles. Our actions are interrelated.
post #48 of 65
well, i'd like to chime in on this popular thread.

after ANY stocking, there are always items listed on the tp (or ebay), for some reason or another. kp, pwp, just about all of them. why not ebay those uber-popluar dipes and make more $$$. sheesh, with the new ebay fees and paypal's fees, you'd freakin have to sell a fcb diaper for $80 to break even!!! :
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
The word scalping comes to mind. If you really "accidentally" over bought (yeah right), then put a 'buy it now' for the original purchase price.

I am sure I will be in the doghouse again, but my opinion has not changed
I TOTALLY agree, and will sit in the dog house with you! I don't get how someone can "accidentally" overbuy at a stocking like that. IMHO, since we didn't have to rush to checkout there was time to double-check the cart before paying for it all. Maybe I'm wrong- it was my first stalking...

Personally I think the TP is more accessible- I might miss out on some of my ISO list because someone else got there first, but there's always more being posted. At least on the TP the prices are reasonable- the FCB I was pining for on ebay closed at $76- WAY out of my price range.
post #50 of 65
Thread Starter 
I thought the last thread about this was very interesting. And I admit I sell on Ebay, more so lately than on the TP. I agree it is someone else's diaper to do with what they want. If they wanted to burn it, it's theirs! I so totally agree with that. I don't think anyone needs to say why they are selling them. No excuses, no reasoning, no whatever. It's yours!

I would be lying if I said I wasn't conflicted about "scalping" diapers though. I disagree with buying something with the sole purpose of selling it on Ebay to make cash. I am sorry, I just can't bring myself to do it. THough maybe I should start. I could just stalk diaper stockings and buy extras and then sell them. I just wonder, if I flat out said that was what I was going to do, would WAHMs still want to sell to me? Anyway, I am with Jessica on this, in that even though it is non of my business, I still think about it :LOL

But that's just me. And you will see me selling my used stuff on Ebay, even the hyena stuff sometimes. Truthfully, if I overbought or bought something that didn't fit I would try to return it.
post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
Just to make sure I understand the new MDC rule here:

We are not supposed to sit around and think about what others are doing with their diapers. However, it is perfectly acceptable to sit around and think about what others are thinking about what others are doing with their diapers. :LOL

Do I have this right? Meta-theory is fine, but no theory allowed.
.
No it's not really meta-theory when I'm just observing what people stated in this very thread. You can't go back and see it all since some's been edited, but basically a couple of posts on the first page had a very clear message about under what circumstances it's acceptable to sell a diaper on ebay, and the alternate courses of actions that SHOULD be taken (returns, exchanges with the WAHM, etc) instead. I'm just pointing out that this attitude is rather judgmental and that I don't personally think it's my place to decide what people are allowed to do with their diapers and under what particular circumstances (potty training, whatever).
post #52 of 65
I just want to add that what I really wish is that the WAHMs would just put them all on ebay to begin with, because they are obviously the ones who are most deserving of getting all that profit. It is bizarre to me that they choose to sell them for so much less than they are worth, when the demand is so high and people are obviously willing to pay much more.
post #53 of 65
I agree with Alice..
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulagirl

I would be lying if I said I wasn't conflicted about "scalping" diapers though.
Most of us think that is kind of a not-nice thing to do, but the problem with people pointing fingers at particular individual's actions is that we'll never know if it really was 'scalping' or what the circumstances are for that person. I just feel it's better not to judge because none of us are omniscient and can know exactly what another person's situation is like. I'm not trying to come down hard on those MDCers who have an opinion about scalping, I'm trying to stick up for a MDC mama who doesn't deserve to have her behavior scrutinized in public.
post #55 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
Just to make sure I understand the new MDC rule here:

We are not supposed to sit around and think about what others are doing with their diapers. However, it is perfectly acceptable to sit around and think about what others are thinking about what others are doing with their diapers. :LOL

Do I have this right? Meta-theory is fine, but no theory allowed.

I for one, like to think about things. When I see something that bothers me, I like to try and figure out why it bothers me. Individuals do not live in little autonomous bubbles. Our actions are interrelated.
I love your posts but maybe its because I'm better at meta-theories.

I keep thinking you're so Socratic: "so I see this lady on the side of the road, dunking her diapers and its disgusting. So I ask myself: why do I think dunking is disgusting? Is it b/c we should all be using mini-showers? But why do I think we should all use mini-showers? Why is dunking & swishing so bad?... and if said dunking-and-swishing lady were to have a stain that wouldn't sun out on her dunked-and-swished diapers, but it was a hyena diaper nonetheless, should the price go down b/c she dunked and swished a hyena item which perhaps should've been held to the highest standards of mini-showerdom?"

ETC...



as for ebay, I don't do ebay. But my general thought about economics is not to profit from someone else's labor. But thats my rules for myself. Not my rules for others...I don't have rules for others as long as they aren't hurting anyone. (and can't define "hurting" at the moment except for my torn hamstring-- that hurts : )
post #56 of 65
I just wanted to point out also that a brand new FCB from the last stocking just sold for 35 dollars, and after paypal and ebay listing and final bid price fees, not to mention the shipping she paid on that diaper originally, she is making maybe a couple dollars profit, and the hassle of listing/shipping is IMO at least worth that much. She didn't exactly 'score.'

Just an example of how with ebay you never really know when a bidding war on a particular item will send the final bid price sky high and a lucky seller will walk away with a big profit on a hyena item they just sold. It's impossible to predict, so the person listing on ebay is always assuming some risk.
post #57 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom
Most of us think that is kind of a not-nice thing to do, but the problem with people pointing fingers at particular individual's actions is that we'll never know if it really was 'scalping' or what the circumstances are for that person. I just feel it's better not to judge because none of us are omniscient and can know exactly what another person's situation is like. I'm not trying to come down hard on those MDCers who have an opinion about scalping, I'm trying to stick up for a MDC mama who doesn't deserve to have her behavior scrutinized in public.
You are right And I don't mean to be pointing fingers at anyone. I just had to get that out. It's been on my mind all day. I really don't know where I stand. No on has a moral or ethical obligation to offer things on the TP or to friends, I know this. But the idea bothers me. I like that I can get what I paid for my used hyena diapes, really I do. But I don't like the idea of buying new and selling for a profit.

But others are free to do what they want, definitely!
post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSizzled
I love your posts but maybe its because I'm better at meta-theories.

I keep thinking you're so Socratic: "so I see this lady on the side of the road, dunking her diapers and its disgusting. So I ask myself: why do I think dunking is disgusting? Is it b/c we should all be using mini-showers? But why do I think we should all use mini-showers? Why is dunking & swishing so bad?... and if said dunking-and-swishing lady were to have a stain that wouldn't sun out on her dunked-and-swished diapers, but it was a hyena diaper nonetheless, should the price go down b/c she dunked and swished a hyena item which perhaps should've been held to the highest standards of mini-showerdom?"

ETC...



as for ebay, I don't do ebay. But my general thought about economics is not to profit from someone else's labor. But thats my rules for myself. Not my rules for others...I don't have rules for others as long as they aren't hurting anyone. (and can't define "hurting" at the moment except for my torn hamstring-- that hurts : )

This is really what my life is like. :LOL
post #59 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSizzled
But my general thought about economics is not to profit from someone else's labor. But thats my rules for myself. Not my rules for others...I don't have rules for others as long as they aren't hurting anyone.
Virg, I really like and agree with this. I have made money of one hyena auction but I used the cash to buy toys for orphans so I felt ok :LOL
post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitneyVL
Yup. I'll put on my flame-proof panties and stand next to you on that one . There's a difference between an impulse buy of one diaper and what's going on lately, this is getting a bit out of hand. I think I liked it better when you (generic you) didn't safely escape with a diaper until you checked out with it. More people got to share in the fluffy love, and less got to turn an Ebay profit. (small disclaimer: I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but just an observation)

I couldn't agree more!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Diapering
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › I may get flamed for saying this...