or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › Frustrated with used dipe buying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Frustrated with used dipe buying - Page 2

post #21 of 66
I too wish there was a basic standard for the condition of a diaper. I sell stuff on Amazon and there are basic guidelines there, why couldn't there be here? It would really help both buyers and sellers.

I've bought some stuff in less than perfect shape. I've sold some stuff in less than perfect shape. I always hate these threads (but I read them) because I am afraid that someone got crap from me and is just sucking it up instead of telling me!!
post #22 of 66
Thread Starter 
oh i know i should either not complain or tell the mamas. i did tell the first one and we worked out something that was fine by me and hopefully fine by her. i have a ton of stuff to sell soon as dd is potty training and i would hope anyone unhappy with something would tell me so i'm guessing the majority of the other mamas would feel the same.

i've bought so much stuff that i've been thrilled with i guess i was just frustrated with our "last" diaper purchases being the ones that weren't so great. we're basically done with diapers as dd is potty training so it's hard to go out on a sour note, yk? sorry to know i'm not alone in the frustration.

at any rate, thanks for letting me vent.
post #23 of 66
I just spent a couple minutes thinking up some condition guidelines, would these help anyone?

Mint - never washed or worn.

WBNW - washed but not worn (I would let this include tried on).

EC - washed, worn, but with no visible damage.

GC - washed, worn, but fully functional with no stains, holes, rips, bad elastic, wash fading, leaks, or other defects.

Fair - GC but with a defect from the above list.

Well-loved - still works but several defects from the above list. Or old - you would be the diaper's last owner.

FFS - specified defects or just ancient!
post #24 of 66
I like your ratings
post #25 of 66
Honestly, I think a lot of people just lie about the condition so they can get more money for the dipe. I wouldn't think anyone really thinks a diaper with holes in it is very good condition.
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrie43
Honestly, I think a lot of people just lie about the condition so they can get more money for the dipe. I wouldn't think anyone really thinks a diaper with holes in it is very good condition.

I don't see how anyone can think a diaper with holes is in VGC either but it happened to me so I know there are people out there who do. This is why I think there should be a guideline for posting the condition.

I think this is the main reason why I am reconsidering buying anymore used diapers.
post #27 of 66
I'm too paranoid to lie... I probably go too far in the other direction picking out every little flaw. I have bought diapers that should have been FFS and now I will really only buy used if it is something I REALLY want or from another hyena I know and trust.

I like the rating system... I wish it were a sticky.
post #28 of 66
[QUOTE=3inclothdiapers]That's also why I'm probably going to throw the ratty diapers in the trash rather than try to sell them (though I would be totally honest, just don't want to disappoint anyone!)[QUOTE]

Rather than tossing them, you could give them away to a mama who can't afford diapers and doesn't mind getting some that are ratty. If you're honest about the condition, there shouldn't be any hard feelings.
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inclothdiapers
That's also why I'm probably going to throw the ratty diapers in the trash rather than try to sell them (though I would be totally honest, just don't want to disappoint anyone!)
you can always post them in giving or offer them ffs.

It would be nice to have guidelines because I've been dissapointed or had people dissapointed too. Most people don't mean to missrepresent something, everyone just has their own ideas of what something means. To me my EC might be someones VGC or vice versa. I think the guesswork should be taken out of it by establishing guidelines so no one gets hurt. The TP is such a great resource.
post #30 of 66
[QUOTE=Ruthla][QUOTE=3inclothdiapers]That's also why I'm probably going to throw the ratty diapers in the trash rather than try to sell them (though I would be totally honest, just don't want to disappoint anyone!)
Quote:

Rather than tossing them, you could give them away to a mama who can't afford diapers and doesn't mind getting some that are ratty. If you're honest about the condition, there shouldn't be any hard feelings.

There is also a website. I don't have the address handy that takes donations for diapers. They give the diapers to needy mamas! I have a box packed ready to go there now! The mama that runs it even offered to pay me shipping!
post #31 of 66
I really like the rating system idea. I try to be as honest as I can, but sometimes have a hard time deciding if I should mark something EC or VGC or GC...I would love some guidelines.

Honestly I don't think most people lie about diapers to get more money. I know I would never do that. Sometimes people just miss a tiny hole or don't realize the diaper is as worn in as it is.
post #32 of 66
Well most WAHMs will take a tried on but never washed/used diaper as a return and resell it in their stores, so I don't think that trying it on takes away from it's value, but maybe I'm just used to WAHM rules on exchanges and returns.

I think the rating system posted above is super.
post #33 of 66
:LOL I hate nevermind posts.
post #34 of 66
First let me say, I am the anti-hyena :LOL I agree there should be some guidelines and I have gotten dipes that after seeing them, felt I had paid too much. I can't afford $$ for diapers. So, most of ours have been acquired through swaps/ trades. So, its really disappointing when I buy something and it is in rough shape.
post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
I'm too paranoid to lie... I probably go too far in the other direction picking out every little flaw.
I do the same. I totally undersell the few I've sold because I want other mamas to be happy. I wish everyone did that. Some of us buy used because we have little other choice.
post #36 of 66
I think there reaches a point with a diaper, too, where even if there isn't any rips, stains, tears or holes, it just doesn't work anymore. I have 3 AIOs that I bought off TP who have no cosmetic problems, but they just aren't very absorbant, and simply leak. I have tried stripping them to no avail. They look to be a few years old. I have 3 "newer" ones by the same maker that work SO MUCH better... the older ones just seem to have crossed a line where they just aren't as functional.

Luckily I don't think I paid too much for them, and I don't think the mama's misrepresented them (they probably didn't realize the issue; it's more of an "in comparison" thing). But I am getting to the point where I look for "new" or hardly used (1-2 times) dipes... I really want to know how old a diaper is.
post #37 of 66

Donating Used Diapers

You can always donate used diapers to Aid for Orphans, the diapers go to the Ukraine where they catually reuse disposable diapers in the orphanages there because they are so poor!
post #38 of 66
I think the rating guideline listed is pretty accurate. I would like to see two items added to the descriptions: whether they have stink and whether they have been washed with chlorine bleach. Both IMO downgrade the condition of a diaper and I would like to see them disclosed.

Question: if you bought a diaper that wasn't in the condition described to you, do you leave positive feedback or no feedback, assuming you are not comfortable leaving negative feedback?
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmalala
I just spent a couple minutes thinking up some condition guidelines, would these help anyone?

Mint - never washed or worn.

WBNW - washed but not worn (I would let this include tried on).

EC - washed, worn, but with no visible damage.

GC - washed, worn, but fully functional with no stains, holes, rips, bad elastic, wash fading, leaks, or other defects.

Fair - GC but with a defect from the above list.

Well-loved - still works but several defects from the above list. Or old - you would be the diaper's last owner.

FFS - specified defects or just ancient!

I realy like this and would love to see it stickied, but whats the difference between EC/GC?
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
Question: if you bought a diaper that wasn't in the condition described to you, do you leave positive feedback or no feedback, assuming you are not comfortable leaving negative feedback?
I wanna know this too!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Diapering
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › Frustrated with used dipe buying