or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Csection Support Thread April 2005 (cont discussion from March)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Csection Support Thread April 2005 (cont discussion from March) - Page 21

post #401 of 424
I don't know...mine was gaping at a week, so i ran right in there. At 4 weeks i think there's more of a danger that the wound will have trouble healing - can you talk to your midwife? mine at least has experience with incision care.
post #402 of 424
Recovery after my emergency section was much shorter and easier than it was after the VDFH. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from VBAC, only saying that a vaginal delivery is no guarantee of an easier or faster recovery. I'm told that most people recover more quickly and easily from vaginal deliveries, but for me that has not thus far been the case, neither physically nor mentally nor spiritually.

That said, I'm hoping to have a VBAC next time around, but that's because I want a solo birth. :LOL

Sarajane-- I would definately see someone about it. Try the midwife first, and if she doesn't know anything visit the doctor again.
post #403 of 424
Okay - the stuff about the epidural staying in for pain relief makes sense now, but it doesn't apply to me. I hate having a needle put in my back at all, and I want that thing out as quickly as humanly possible after the surgery is over. I'd rather be in pain than have that thing in my back. The only reason I even agree to having it is because general anesthetic really knocks me on my butt (discovered this with eye surgery prior to my first section) and because dh can't be there to see his baby come into the world if I'm under general.

I'm more amazed daily at how different everyone's experiences are. I think I'm an extraordinry wimp...
post #404 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by pease
Just wondering what would be selfish about a vba2c?

The climate here for vbacs is poor and for vba2c is very very very poor.. If I was even "allowed" to have one at the local hospital/birth center.. it would be with SO many restrictions.
So, I am thinking about an Hba2c.. but that means a Lay midwife, as CNMWs cannot attend homebirths in NY.. but lay midwifes are not legal either.. I think.. And I am pretty sure all the local OBs pulled their backup of lay midwives last year.. so.. it would mean going with no OB backup..

What are the risks.. which I am not entirely sure of..for either.. .. I have to decide if I am being selfish for wanting a homebirth vba2c....


Re: Open wound.. Have you tried Vitamin E or other homeopathic healing things? Silver?
Chantal
post #405 of 424
internally or externally? (e and silver?) Colloidal silver I assume? I am a little nervous about external stuff. Ok, hysterical actually because my incision is still open too (I am probably going back in today, we're at a week and a half post op.) My first incision was lumpy and painful and keloided. My last was perfect and pain free. And I am fearing the worst for this one. Luckily or not, I can't see past my belly. So when I glimpse the incision, oh my.

storm bride - as I understand it, the needle is used to get the epi started, but it's actually a small plastic tube that remains - no needle. Still oogy, but the idea of just the tube made me feel better. But I agree, anything indwelling is not my idea of a good time.
post #406 of 424
Chantald, just an option but I'm assuming that you will need to pay a lay midwife out of pocket anyway, is there anyway you could get care from an OB and then perhaps just labor at home (perhaps with your good friend who just also happens to be a lay midwife) and then go in if you run into trouble but otherwise "accidently" birth the baby at home??
post #407 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Chantald, just an option but I'm assuming that you will need to pay a lay midwife out of pocket anyway, is there anyway you could get care from an OB and then perhaps just labor at home (perhaps with your good friend who just also happens to be a lay midwife) and then go in if you run into trouble but otherwise "accidently" birth the baby at home??

I may have to, if I can't get OB backup.. I feel dishonest doing shadow care...

I think it would be harder to "accidentaly" birth the baby at home..and make the story sound believable
Not sure why I care about having them believe me tho..

Chantal
post #408 of 424
Thread Starter 
Chantal,

What were the reasons for your two previous csections? (sorry I missed this) I know that the ACOG does not recommend VBA2C but also says they will leave it at the doctors discretion. I did discuss it with my doctor after I had my baby go vertex -- and she said that while she isn't opposed to doing them, I was not a candidate. (which I kind of figured)
Some of the things I found that make a VBA2C possible is if for the previous csections the reason you had them was malposition (posterior or breech). It seems if you can get baby vertex on the cervix that a VBAC is more likely to happen. (I think I read around 70%)

Kim
post #409 of 424

RE # sections and recovery

Good delivery vibes OTF, been thinking of you

I have had 3 sections: 1 emergency after 40+ hours of labor and a malpositioned baby, 2 "scheduled" but I only knew a day in advance (developing pre-e).

My scedulued sections were TONS easier recovery than my emergency. After the first, I had not slept for several days and could not stay awake. I was in bed for 2 days and in the hospital for 5. I was not back to "normal" for about 6 months.

I had spinals with duramorph for #2 & 3. This is AWESOME stuff .With #2 I was in bed for about 12 hours and out of the hospital in 3 days. I was back to normal in 6-8 weeks. For #3 (birth story earlier in this thread). I was up about 8 hours after section, and went home 50 hours after. I was back to normal in a few weeks and did an 8 mile race walk at exactly 8 weeks pp.

I really think the sooner I am up after my section, the sooner I start feeling better. My cathater was removed as soon as I was up and walking.
post #410 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Some of the things I found that make a VBA2C possible is if for the previous csections the reason you had them was malposition (posterior or breech). It seems if you can get baby vertex on the cervix that a VBAC is more likely to happen. (I think I read around 70%)

Kim
That's one of the stats I find reassuring. What I don't find reassuring is references to breech as a "non-recurring" problem. My babies were both breech, which makes me wonder if this one will be, too.

I'm becoming more pessimistic about VBA2C. I keep feeling that I'm going to end up with a section, anyway, so why fool myself. Last night, I woke up to pee at about 4 o'clock, and couldn't get back to sleep because I was worrying about this again. I've had a couple of months with a lot less stress about it, but it's coming back. I think my second section is the source of a lot of my stress. I let myself be talked into something I didn't think was okay, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I feel as though I wimped out and cost myself any chance of ever having a vaginal birth.

Sometimes I wonder if I should try a homebirth...although the only local midwife I found is already booked solid for July. It would feel weird switching care providers this late, anyway. But, I don't want an IV, I don't want an epidural, and I don't want a scalpel anywhere near me...whether for an episiotomy or another section.

I hope I hit another "up" soon...5-6 weeks of this mental state would be grim.
post #411 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessmcg
I really think the sooner I am up after my section, the sooner I start feeling better.
Getting up helps a little...because I know I'm getting closer to being able to get out of the hospital and away from the "help" of the nurses.

Okay, ladies - any idea what's wrong with me?
This whole "recovery from a scheduled section is so much easier" thing seems to be almost universal. And, if anything, it took me longer to get back to "normal" with my scheduled one. I had intermittent pain at both ends of the incision site, especially when lying on my side (to nurse, for example) for months. I had nothing like that with my first one. With the first one, I was basically recovered by my 6-week checkup, and then spent the next few months rebuilding muscle tone and fitness and getting back to normal.
post #412 of 424
Thread Starter 
Lisa,

Your posts show so much pain you are in and I don't know if there is anything at this point I can say to reassure you or to even advise you on how to get the birth you want.

I do think you need to find some peace. And I don't think you have that, about having a VBAC or having a csection. Consider talking to a professional. This is dominating your pregnancy it seems, and that can't be healthy. I would love to see you feel at peace with what will come AND enjoy these last weeks of your pregnancy.

If there is something I could do to help facilitate that, I will do it.

Kim
post #413 of 424
I'd been thinking about counselling before I came here, but I really have been feeling better the last couple of months...I don't know what set me off this time at all. It might be because I've had the tooth extraction, followed by a really bad head cold. I'm feeling so run down and overwhelmed that it's bringing back the whole "post c-section" period that I hate so much. I'll see how I'm feeling in a few days - if my cold's gone, I may find it's mostly illness-induced funk (I'm very prone to that). And, I'll see my OB on Thursday - maybe I'm just freaked about that.

Thanks, Kim...I feel like I'm just being a giant whiner, and I don't like that at all. I honestly don't think anything could bring me peace about another c-section, but I do remind myself that I got pregnant knowing that was the option the doctors wanted to take...so it's not like it's unexpected.
post #414 of 424
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
Thanks, Kim...I feel like I'm just being a giant whiner, and I don't like that at all. I honestly don't think anything could bring me peace about another c-section, but I do remind myself that I got pregnant knowing that was the option the doctors wanted to take...so it's not like it's unexpected.

Maybe you could find peace though in having a another csection? Have you thought about meditating on just having your baby born the way he/she is meant to be born, no matter how that is? I guess with me, the peace comes from the fact that having children vaginally is just not an option. Nothing I could have done or did do could change the necessity of having a cesarean.

I know in watching others have surgery, not just cesareans, that preparing and anticipating a good outcome often helps with healing. Going into something with regret or burden often manifests itself in our healing.
post #415 of 424
That does make sense. I'm very prone to emotional problems - I've fought with depression (often suicidal) my whole life. This seems to be just one more manifestation of it.

And, I think there's a lot of self-blame here this time. I really allowed myself to agree to my last section without looking into it enough or asking enough questions. I assumed VBA2C wouldn't be a problem (in my VBAC research, I'd come across quite a few references to them) and didn't ask. I'd also wanted to labour first, so that dd might turn. The OB said that wouldn't happen because she was too big, and I just folded. And I really think that's why I had the milk supply issues I had...

I'm rambling again...guess I just feel like I brought this one on myself, and that maybe dd's wasn't necessary, either. It bugs me to think that, but I really do. There's other stuff - interpersonal things, and stuff about my relationship with a few women I know....specifically my sister...that I think is making things worse, as well.
post #416 of 424
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
That does make sense. I'm very prone to emotional problems - I've fought with depression (often suicidal) my whole life. This seems to be just one more manifestation of it.

And, I think there's a lot of self-blame here this time. I really allowed myself to agree to my last section without looking into it enough or asking enough questions. I assumed VBA2C wouldn't be a problem (in my VBAC research, I'd come across quite a few references to them) and didn't ask. I'd also wanted to labour first, so that dd might turn. The OB said that wouldn't happen because she was too big, and I just folded. And I really think that's why I had the milk supply issues I had...

I'm rambling again...guess I just feel like I brought this one on myself, and that maybe dd's wasn't necessary, either. It bugs me to think that, but I really do. There's other stuff - interpersonal things, and stuff about my relationship with a few women I know....specifically my sister...that I think is making things worse, as well.
Here is question, hope you dont think its rude, but both your babies were breech -- don't you think its possible they were breech for a reason and that having a csection was necessary? have you been given a reason for why your babies may have been breech?

I still think counseling might be a good idea, also, have you ever taken medication for the depression? I would really like to see you have a happy babymoon.
post #417 of 424
No idea why my baby's were breech - the doctors don't know, either. I know ds turned from a near-perfect vertex position to a frank breech while I was in labour (could feel him turn...although I didn't know what it was). DD turned very late, as well...about a week before my due date.

I've taken Serzone for depression...then I kicked my ex out, which was even better medication. I haven't had any problems in the last few years - not until I got pregnant with this one and started thinking about more surgery...then...whammo.

I just posted another thread, anyway. I've taken over your support thread with my whining.
post #418 of 424
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
No idea why my baby's were breech - the doctors don't know, either. I know ds turned from a near-perfect vertex position to a frank breech while I was in labour (could feel him turn...although I didn't know what it was). DD turned very late, as well...about a week before my due date.

I've taken Serzone for depression...then I kicked my ex out, which was even better medication. I haven't had any problems in the last few years - not until I got pregnant with this one and started thinking about more surgery...then...whammo.

I just posted another thread, anyway. I've taken over your support thread with my whining.
Shannon, I don't think you are whining. This is what this thread is for, to hash and talk things out. I am really sincere in wanting you to enjoy the last bit of your pregnancy, to have peace with no matter how you birth, and to have a joyful baby moon. I'm really glad you are here!
post #419 of 424
Thanks.

At least I'm still loving it every time the baby kicks...it keeps the funk from getting too deep.

*sigh*
I've just discovered the downside of CD'ing. My washing machine just blew up and started spraying hot water everywhere. And, all my diapers are in there - soaking wet, but not clean. UGH!!!
post #420 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Chantal,

What were the reasons for your two previous csections? (sorry I missed this) I know that the ACOG does not recommend VBA2C but also says they will leave it at the doctors discretion. I did discuss it with my doctor after I had my baby go vertex -- and she said that while she isn't opposed to doing them, I was not a candidate. (which I kind of figured)
Some of the things I found that make a VBA2C possible is if for the previous csections the reason you had them was malposition (posterior or breech). It seems if you can get baby vertex on the cervix that a VBAC is more likely to happen. (I think I read around 70%)

Kim

Kim
My first was an induction that cascaded into many interventions.. I pushed for 3 hours but the baby was a transverse arrest.. he was head down but facing sideways...He was 9lbs
My second, I went into labor all on my own.. got the the BC at 9 cm.. pushed for 4 hours and she was in an OP front forehead presenting position.. Things started looking bad for DD and we decided to c/s... she was a bruised and beaten mess and not in great shape... . She was 9 lbs 2 oz...

for some reason.. I can't get them to face the right way.. or have small babies...

Chantal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Csection Support Thread April 2005 (cont discussion from March)