or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › Help Adina get Pregnant ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help Adina get Pregnant ad - Page 5

post #81 of 160
Probably then the best thing would be to report it and see (little red exclamation point in the lower left hand corner)
post #82 of 160
Everyone breathe...please.

Ard is my friend - has been for a couple of years now! Ever since we decided to keep each other on task exercising every day...and we talk frequently. She brought up valid questions.

This thread isn't going to be pulled - as long as it remains civil and respectful. After all I AM a moderator and I am part of the discussion. :LOL No one is saying that I am a bad person - or anything like that. And if you feel the need to say that - then don't post it. :LOL PM a buddy or whatever and tell them that! :
post #83 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna
I know! Why don't we do away with all the ads and start paying to be here? What? You wouldn't like that? Ever heard the saying "you can't please everyone all the time?" Well, you can't. But you can control yourself and not make someone feel bad. You CAN control that.

I have said all along that I wish this was a pay site.
Oh and I do pay, I pay I have a few different paid subs here.









and to Adina, I wasn't referring to ypu in any of my posts, or to your reactions. I was referring to the pther posters. I never meant you tried to turn this into us vs them.
post #84 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
ok well my logical boy brain (reference to a quiz I took) says that there are two issues that effect this. One the ability of people to usually seperate themselves personally from a situation and also that rules should be consistant.

I'd like to point out that the post that everyone seems to be up in arms over the poster never said that she personally questions Adinas ability to parent. She said that she doesn't know her and as such wouldn't feel comfortable giving money to someone when she doens't know how they would parent.

Not the same thing. *oh sorry if that seems OT to your post*
And she doesn't have to give her money. Great!!!

Others may chose to.

That's what I love about the ads....you can chose whether to click on them or not!
post #85 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL
Everyone breathe...please.

Ard is my friend - has been for a couple of years now! Ever since we decided to keep each other on task exercising every day...and we talk frequently. She brought up valid questions.

This thread isn't going to be pulled - as long as it remains civil and respectful. After all I AM a moderator and I am part of the discussion. :LOL No one is saying that I am a bad person - or anything like that. And if you feel the need to say that - then don't post it. :LOL PM a buddy or whatever and tell them that! :
Adina- you are awesome. I respected you a tremendous amount before this... whatever you want to call it... and even more so now.
post #86 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn
As someone previously mentioned, the wording is such that they were unsure whether money or sperm was being solicited. It's a double entendre, and is usually used (again, in a joking manner) to solicit sex; in this case, to solicit help with IVF funds.

If you still don't think it's funny, well, ok. If you still don't get why it's meant to be funny, though, I'm afraid I can't help further.
Johanna, I wanted to quote this because I think you may have missed the earlier discussion on the double entendre or innuendo of the ad.

You wonder what is going on in the heads of those who connected to it being a double entendre or innuendo? Man, that is really rude.

To Adina....I am sorry that this is taken off this way. I wish those who are so heated would take a break and cool off. No good discussion of the AD not Adina is every going to happen until the heated ones step aside.
post #87 of 160
Well, it didn't need to be said. That particular post wasn't even about thinking the thread should be pulled. Just that she wouldn't contribute. It just didn't need to be said. It accomplished nothing but fueling a fire and making someone feel bad.
post #88 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
And she doesn't have to give her money. Great!!!

Others may chose to.

That's what I love about the ads....you can chose whether to click on them or not!


that whole point is completely irrelevant to the thread. Which is are ads of this type acceptable for MDC.

Using your logic then MDC should accept ads for anything and everything including paddles for spanking because after all you can just not click on it.

:
post #89 of 160
I know Ard - I was just trying to address your questions. I figured you probably weren't referring to me.

As for the post regarding not donating unless they knew how I would parent.....well that is fair. I mean - if you don't know who I am, and haven't had a lot of interaction with me - then that is a valid concern.

What I meant by saying my feelings were hurt over that statement was that infertile women reflexively think that it is all their fault, they did something wrong, they don't deserve it ...so of course that statement is going to bring up all the issues I have....they are my issues - she didn't say anything wrong. She pointed out why she wouldn't donate. That's fine.
post #90 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
that whole point is completely irrelevant to the thread. Which is are ads of this type acceptable for MDC.

Using your logic then MDC should accept ads for anything and everything including paddles for spanking because after all you can just not click on it.

:
It was already found to be appropriate by MDC.

I think that questioning that would be fine if the ad were against AP/NFL. It is not.
post #91 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
You wonder what is going on in the heads of those who connected to it being a double entendre or innuendo? Man, that is really rude.
I was making a point. How did it make you feel that I was possibly questioning the mind of someone else and by that questioning their right to parent. It was not supposed to be meant to say you AREN'T fit to parent.. it was to prove the point that it shouldn't be up to me.. or anyone else, the worthiness of someone to be a parent. The universe doesn't work that way. I see plenty of drug addicted, uncaring, abusive people become parents and I don't have the right to say THEY shouldn't have kids. Just becuase someone has fertility problems doesn't mean they should be denied the right to parent.

I'm sorry that you were offended and that I was unclear.
post #92 of 160
Bottom line is the IMO this thread is about a much bigger issue than this particular ad.

especially in light of MDCs usual policy of not allowing any kind of posting on the boards or in ads generally for charities (that aren't officially recognised).
post #93 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna
Well, it didn't need to be said. That particular post wasn't even about thinking the thread should be pulled. Just that she wouldn't contribute. It just didn't need to be said. It accomplished nothing but fueling a fire and making someone feel bad.
???? I am not sure I follow. There was discussion earlier in this thread about innuendo. Surely that wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Lets get Adina Pregnant...C'mon loosing up and see the humour in that!

Geez
post #94 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
that whole point is completely irrelevant to the thread. Which is are ads of this type acceptable for MDC.

Using your logic then MDC should accept ads for anything and everything including paddles for spanking because after all you can just not click on it.

:
And wheels for spinning... and bracelets for supporting the troops...
post #95 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
regardless, I think it's been made quite clear that the people posting about the appropiateness of the ad are questioning ads of this type. The issue is are ads of this type appropriate on MDC. It doesn't matter if it's for Adina. After all we hopefully have consistant rules and decision making, right?
yeah, i think this is where i went with it as well.

locally, we have fundraisers all the time for people who cannot pay their medical expenses. i see this as being no different. it's like an internet fish fry for someone. good thing imo.

consistency matters though. if someone rents the space for the fish fry, then ANYONE can rent the space for their own fish fry, tofu bake, or whatever... personally i am fine with that...people have a choice about participating in the fish fry.

so, i think the ad is great and would love to have it stay..
post #96 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL
What I meant by saying my feelings were hurt over that statement was that infertile women reflexively think that it is all their fault, they did something wrong, they don't deserve it

well I know we have discussed that whole scenario in the past, and you know how I feel about that one
post #97 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
And wheels for spinning... and bracelets for supporting the troops...
The wheels....the fact that the ad even mentions spanking....that to me is against what ap/nfl stands for

The troop bracelets.....that should stay. ap/nfl stand on war can be very broad. If you don't care for the ad, don't use it.
post #98 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
???? I am not sure I follow. There was discussion earlier in this thread about innuendo. Surely that wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.
I'm not saying it hurt anyone's feelings. I was saying how would you like it if someone questioned your right to parent? I was using the whole thing to feed the scenario. It was just an example. There was a comment about deciding the rights of a person to parent. I think it didn't need to be said. It didn't add to this thread at all, especially because the person who said it had no problems with the ad. It was pointless and leads to further feelings of insecurity, which most mothers have, and women battling with infertiltiy have an abundance of.
post #99 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
And wheels for spinning... and bracelets for supporting the troops...


:LOL
post #100 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
The wheels....the fact that the ad even mentions spanking....that to me is against what ap/nfl stands for

The troop bracelets.....that should stay. ap/nfl stand on war can be very broad. If you don't care for the ad, don't use it.
The problem is Angela- and I say this gently- you seem to be setting yourself up as the authority on what ads are acceptable and what ads are not. The fact is that after many people shared their problems with the support our troops ad, "management" decided not to renew it. While Mothering is not a democracy, we still have all been invited to share our views. I do think these views can, in many cases, be shared more gently. However, I also think that, for the most part, we are all interested in upholding the integrity of the site.

So... how are ads judged? As I posted above, I could find nothing onsite regarding the appropriateness/inappropriateness of charity/giving/donation ads.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › Help Adina get Pregnant ad