or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Miscellaneous › Mothers' Writing Group › Psst...questions about the group?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Psst...questions about the group?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Come on over and have a seat. I'll try and answer any questions you might have.

When and where can I join the writing group? Do I sign up?
You don't need to sign up, just follow along with the weekly posts. You join by your participation either on the boards or at home in your journal. I would encourage you to at least read each week's information and prompts, even if you don't participate in that particular assignment.

Is the Freewrite thread a place for finished work?
No. Absolutely not. The Freewrite thread is a space for freewrites only--and freewrites are writing excercises to get you thinking, moving and feeling. Freewrites can also develop into short writing assignments that beg for more care and time--consider them fair game for your longer work.

Can I edit my online freewriting thread?
Let's review what freewriting is and then we can talk about what freewriting is not. Here is what Natalie Goldberg says are the keys to freewriting in her book, Writing Down the Bones:

1. Keep your hand moving
2. Don't cross out
3. Don't worry
4. Lose control
5. Don't think
6. Go for the jugular

Now, she isn't the ultimate authority--I've read other interpretations of what freewriting is all about--but I think what she has to say is simple and practical advice. So this means if you are going to use the Freewrite a go-go thread for your freewrite work, it should remain unedited. I can hear the gasps of panic now. Take a deep breath and say it with me:

I am free to write the worst junk in the world.
I am free to write the worst junk in the world.
I am free to write the worst junk in the world.

It's really okay. You don't believe me? Still not buying it? Here's a compromise: use your paper journal for the *real* down-and-dirty freewriting, and if you must, go ahead and share with us the next generation freewrite--the one that has mostly correct spelling and grammar. The one that doesn't look like a ransom note. I want it to be a space for freedom and for exploration.

Do I post a new reply for each freewriting prompt?
That is fine. Go for it.

What's the assignment for the first week?
Choose three freewriting prompts and spend 10 minutes writing on each topic. Begin to explore ideas surrounding the darker side of mothering and take notes. Read all the intro threads on this current workshop forum. Gather your supplies (pen and journal).

What if I can't keep up?

Take notes and write when you can.

I hope this helps.

Warmly,

~Jesse
post #2 of 14
I have question...Where do we go if we want to share our works that aren't necessarily part of the assignments? Do we have a home anywhere?

Loquaciously Yours,
post #3 of 14
WIll there be another "session" starting soon or can i jump on with this one? i know its a little late in the game.
thanks
post #4 of 14

Hello?

I'm so glad to find this forum! My passion is writing though my weak point is punctuation. :

I'd like to jump in but I'm not sure where the pond is. Please direct me
post #5 of 14
Is there a way we can start a thread for support for working writer mamas?
Those of us who write full time for a living and have deadlines and clients and babies who like to bang on the keyboard?

It's a juggling act earning a full time living as a writer and being a mama - might be fun to share, vent, support...? And know you are not being judged by sloppy spelling and typing
post #6 of 14
hi all, i'm wondering if this group is limited to the "already" mamas... i have been ttc for several years, have been a mothering reader for 15 yrs, and would love to join in the fun... i'm just not sure if i'm allowed to play!
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsmom
I have question...Where do we go if we want to share our works that aren't necessarily part of the assignments? Do we have a home anywhere?

Loquaciously Yours,

I'll start a thread!

Jesse
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaJ
WIll there be another "session" starting soon or can i jump on with this one? i know its a little late in the game.
thanks
Jump in--just read the weekly threads and distill what you need into your own version of where the rest of us are. If that means you will do all the assignments, so be it. If it means you skip around, that is fine. I would just ask that you have a solid idea of what we've discussed so your work is on track (even if the track is strange and loopy).

Jesse
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicentra
I'm so glad to find this forum! My passion is writing though my weak point is punctuation. :

I'd like to jump in but I'm not sure where the pond is. Please direct me
*splash* we're here! Just look at the weekly threads. Find week one and begin! See you soon!

Jesse
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby
Is there a way we can start a thread for support for working writer mamas?
Those of us who write full time for a living and have deadlines and clients and babies who like to bang on the keyboard?

It's a juggling act earning a full time living as a writer and being a mama - might be fun to share, vent, support...? And know you are not being judged by sloppy spelling and typing

i[ll s
tart a thread.

Jesse
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by celesterra
hi all, i'm wondering if this group is limited to the "already" mamas... i have been ttc for several years, have been a mothering reader for 15 yrs, and would love to join in the fun... i'm just not sure if i'm allowed to play!

play. play. play.

adapt. adapt. adapt.

Jesse
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Michener
i[ll s
tart a thread.

Jesse
I am up late, uninspired, facing a deadline and looking for that professional writer mama support thread :

What to do when what YOU think is the best story is not how the client wants to structure the piece?
post #13 of 14

I think I've got it?

Jesse,

Please forgive me for being slow to get t his, but I think I have it now --

I'm supposed to brainstorm about each stage of my pregnancy labor/birth/after

Then I'm supposed to write short assignments about some of the brainstorm things

Then I'm going to make them into my birth story, after seeking and getting some feedback

Is that right? It's like a light bulb just went on and I dont feel so overwhelmed anymore.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Yes, this is EXACTLY it. I would add that you are brainstorming/targeting those experiences that were most important, after you've paired them down from a large brainstorm list. Quality vs. quantity.

Also, the writers thread is here--I think it has something about non-assigments in the title. Lemme check.

Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna's mamma
Jesse,

Please forgive me for being slow to get t his, but I think I have it now --

I'm supposed to brainstorm about each stage of my pregnancy labor/birth/after

Then I'm supposed to write short assignments about some of the brainstorm things

Then I'm going to make them into my birth story, after seeking and getting some feedback

Is that right? It's like a light bulb just went on and I dont feel so overwhelmed anymore.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mothers' Writing Group
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Miscellaneous › Mothers' Writing Group › Psst...questions about the group?