I sent my oldest to public schools because we started in a small town with amazing schools, then moved to a bigger town where I grew up, and had a blind faith in the school system. She ended up having a ton of problems, but I was a single mother trying to get through school myself ( college), so my choices were limited.
Then we moved a year ago,,and I was hysterical to find out how bad the school she was supposed to go to was. I walked out without registering her,, and vowed to homeschool her..until I found out about the magnet school a few blocks on the other side of our new home. it is Arts and Literacy based,,totally perfect for her because she has always been a performer..they have drama and dance class along with pe and art..studied black and white photography last year..small classes..she is just thriving! But we will be back to square 1 next year, because she will be moving on to middle school, and she is supposed to go to one of the roughest in town..even teacher friends caution against sending her there. We are praying for either a scholarship to the Christian private school, or I will opt not to start midwifery school next year and homeschool until she can go to the HS magnet school.
My older son ( Who spends the weeks with his father, weekends with us) is at the school my daughter was at in the other town, but doing really well. I am still trying to negotiate with his father to get him out here for school, so he can go to the magnet school my daughter will be leaving.
As for my infant Joshua,,we have 4 years to go,,but if we are still here he will most definately be going to the magnet school my daughter is at.
I really think my daughter would thrive on self schooling,,she is really curious and passionate about things..and is in the city wide childrens chorale, so she would still get that performing opportunity. But it is a matter of deciding whether now is the time for me to start school part time again, or stay home full time. hard decisions just now...