or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Mineral Deposits on Humidifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mineral Deposits on Humidifier

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi All~

I was cleaning out our humidifier a bit ago & noticed hard mineral deposits (grayish-white in color) on metal parts exposed to water. How do I get these off? They're hard & stuck to the metal parts. I can't immerse this part of the humidifier in water. Suggestions greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Tina
post #2 of 7
just a bump for you.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Thank you, Stephanie
post #4 of 7
I wish I knew of a natural solution that works. You can buy a humidifier cleaning product that dissolves the lime, but it's terribly poisonous (phosphoric acid, I believe). I soaked mine in vinegar for a day and nothing happened. Vinegar that we buy is quite diluted.

(FTR, that poisonous stuff did work. I used it when the kids weren't around, with gloves and glasses just to be safe).
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
thanks, rebecca. i wonder what the effects of leaving it on there would be?

tina
post #6 of 7
i wonder if calgon and water scrubbed on witha toothbrush would work? or a paste of hydrogen peroxide and cream of tartar?
post #7 of 7
well, you rinse the stuff off pretty thoroughly, but it's still a corrosive acid and I'm not so sure that's great for my septic tank and pipes, but we use little and only at the end of humidifier season. I wonder if CLR or some other 'cleaner' or lime-dissolving product would work, but they're all pretty nasty chemicals. I just don't think lemon juice would be a strong enough acid, kwim?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Mindful Home
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Mineral Deposits on Humidifier