OT: Mercury fillings and yeast
First of all, sorry for the thread hijack!
Originally Posted by MamaE
OK, now let's talk mercury fillings. I bet JaneS can help us out more here, but this is what I've read. They act like a continual dose of antibiotics in your body, thereby killing the beneficial bacteria and fostering yeast growth. (I'm sure this depends on how many you have, too. I have only 3.) As for getting them removed, I am scared because it's sort of like lead paint - once you start messing with it, more gets released into your system. That's why they have a protocol, though I forget what it is now. Don't just let any old dentist do it! Check out this site for more info and to find a qualified dentist. http://www.iaomt.org/
I also learned a lot from lurking in the dental forum here. Before lurking there, I never knew fillings were a problem.
My current thinking is that even though I know it's leaching into my system as I nurse, wouldn't it be worse to have them removed and have a *ton* leach into my system at once? Maybe my logic is off. Maybe Jane can help us!
See this thread:http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=241750
IAOMT is a great site. They developed the safe removal protocol which my dentist follows. The evidence on their site shows that a great deal of mercury is released from fillings on a daily basis, which not only effect your digestion , but are also deposited in your organs. Of course depending on the amount of fillings you have and their condition. And whether you drink hot liquids or chew gum, both of which increase mercury vapor dramatically!
Who knows this stuff! Freaks me out how much I didn't know before and how much mainstream medicine is so clueless.
My naturopath is not thrilled with my doing this. However, after extensive research and talking to my dentist, who is also a bf'ing mom, I decided to go ahead b/c I just felt it was the right thing to do. A number of my filling are old and cracked and need to be replaced.
My dentist works with a lot of very sick people, including autistic kids and she has always seen health improvements after removal. I trust her and we have talked about protecting myself and DS. She actually goes a bit further than the IAOMT protocol with a couple of things, so really doesn't think there is an increase. Plus the levels rapidly go down afterwards, so in the long run, there is less and less in your system than if you just did nothing.
I'm also going to see a new naturopath b/c I just don't think my current one was helpful (her solution to wean b/c it was BF'ing not mercury that was likely effecting my health kinda pissed me off frankly). I also don't think she was that knowledgable about the issue. I mostly need to know if DS needs chelation or some such thing. The evidence of how much mercury does accumulate in the body at IAOMT was very distressing to me.
After I started removal, I cut DS down from his usual 4-5x/day nursing to 1-2x without really much trouble. Mostly b/c he has been doing better at night and only waking up 1x, if that. I still nurse sometimes for a nap and if he wakes up in middle of night b/c those are the times that he needs me the most.
I just can't wean him now, you understand... it's like the worst ever catch 22... I feel like his sensitive digestion causes him problems with sleeping and behavior that can only be solved with nursing. I felt horrible about this for a long time, but feel much better now that I'm doing something about it. DS is really doing great, no evidence he is being effected at all, if anything, he is better than he has ever been. My theory is that if the worst case scenario of a temporary increase (see my links for studies) does happen he is getting less breastmilk from me right now than in the past anyways.
The protocol group numbers showing mercury in plasma and blood are impressively low:"The Hg-concentrations did not significantly increase in the two groups after amalgam removal. Six days after the removal the plasma mean concentration was significantly decreased at P level and ten days after the decrease was at a permanent P level. The mean Ery-Hg level was significantly decreased after eleven days (p), a level that remained stable for the rest of the year. The mean U-Hg level was significantly decreased one month after the removal and after six months the mean level was reduced with 80 % compared to the initial level in both groups. "http://www.amalgam.org/#anchor67129
And if you read the other studies where the protocol wasn't followed, plasma concentrations go up 3 - 4x.
I'm also on psyllium and chlorella and vitamin C and sulfur rich foods that all bind to mercury and carry out of system, which were not included in the study. And stuff that makes me extra regular several times a day too :LOL
Thank you for listening everyone.
I seem to be doing a LOT of emotional dumping in this thread!!
Originally Posted by MamaE
OK, ladies, gotta get off this darn computer now or I'll have to start a thread titled "MDC-free or trying to be?"!!!!