or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › PSA - WAHM sites/pictures/auctions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PSA - WAHM sites/pictures/auctions - Page 3

post #41 of 80
I'm a wahm and I spend a LOT of time taking pictures. Way too much really but I want to document my work before I send it away forever ! My hard drive is crammed with photos. I've been thinking that I should send prints with the customs, maybe I will. hmm

I usually do send a jpg to the buyer, even if they don't ask and already have the soaker in hand in hopes that they will use my pic for showing it off and not some blurry thing that they took with a 5 year old webcam :LOL
I'm shallow :

but yes I do think that it is necessary to ask permission to use that photo to sell it and of course to provide a recent pic to show condition. Unless the item is unused, it would be best to take new photos, and perhaps offer a link to the wahm's gallery to see the original ones.
I would also like to be asked if the photo were to be used for any other purpose i.e. online articles, etc...

Elizabeth
post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnia
I'm a wahm and I spend a LOT of time taking pictures. Way too much really but I want to document my work before I send it away forever ! My hard drive is crammed with photos. I've been thinking that I should send prints with the customs, maybe I will. hmm

I usually do send a jpg to the buyer, even if they don't ask and already have the soaker in hand in hopes that they will use my pic for showing it off and not some blurry thing that they took with a 5 year old webcam :LOL
I'm shallow :

but yes I do think that it is necessary to ask permission to use that photo to sell it and of course to provide a recent pic to show condition. Unless the item is unused, it would be best to take new photos, and perhaps offer a link to the wahm's gallery to see the original ones.
I would also like to be asked if the photo were to be used for any other purpose i.e. online articles, etc...

Elizabeth

Well I am glad you are that shallow because I had to take a picture of an item (wahm would not let me use her pic) with the crappiest digital camera alive and take a picture and boy did it do the item injustice poor poor item :LOL

That being said I think most of us never thought about asking to use pictures. I know I never did. I could care less if someone used my pics not that they would want to :LOL have to say its a good reminder to us all or I guess an alert to us all to ask.
post #43 of 80
Quote:
what I have seen a lot of is people saving the WAHMs picture from their site to their computer, then using it in ebay auctions. Tho it happens on the TP too.. i think its mostly ebay auctions I have seen it
Thanks! Got it!!! I was confused
post #44 of 80
**first, i want to say that i don't think i ever have, and after this thread never will, use a wahm's picture of her product**

Okay? But I still don't get it. I mean, of course I get not making copies of proofs that a professional photographer took, or downloading music for free. But that is totally different than this. Photographers make their money off photos. Musicians make their money off their music. Diapering wahms don't make money off the pictures of their diapers. So I cannot understand for the life of me how using the picture they took of their diaper harms them in any way.

I get the part about taking your own picture to show what the diaper looks like currently, as opposed to what it looked like when you bought it. That I get.

Is there some huge thing that happened that everybody else knows about that if I knew about I would understand this? Or am I just paranoid? Or dense?

I am not trying to be a pain in the neck. It's just one of those things. I hate when I don't understand something and I truly don't understand this.

post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy
**first, i want to say that i don't think i ever have, and after this thread never will, use a wahm's picture of her product**

Okay? But I still don't get it. I mean, of course I get not making copies of proofs that a professional photographer took, or downloading music for free. But that is totally different than this. Photographers make their money off photos. Musicians make their money off their music. Diapering wahms don't make money off the pictures of their diapers. So I cannot understand for the life of me how using the picture they took of their diaper harms them in any way.

I get the part about taking your own picture to show what the diaper looks like currently, as opposed to what it looked like when you bought it. That I get.

Is there some huge thing that happened that everybody else knows about that if I knew about I would understand this? Or am I just paranoid? Or dense?

I am not trying to be a pain in the neck. It's just one of those things. I hate when I don't understand something and I truly don't understand this.

Part of a WAHM's time is picture taking. I don't take really nice pictures of my items for the fun of it, I take them to show the customer a true depiction of what her item looks like. I don't even have the really *expensive* software neccesary to "tube" the picture and make it look really spiffy.

So

1 - many WAHM"s spent a lot of money on the camera and the software to make that picture

2 - After making the diapering item the WAHM *spent* her time to properly photograph the item.

3 - Having that nice spendy picture increase the sales on her site.

Not trying to be snotty, just clear. The person putting up that auction is taking advantage of all the above.

Its not exactly like pattern copyright or anything, but its along the same lines.
post #46 of 80
Just wanted to add another perspective.

If you had a crappy camera and wanted a nice picture for your auction, would you ask someone to spend their time and use their equipment to get a nice picture for you? Probably not, but you might *ask* if they had one already taken that they would allow you to use. Of course, this excludes the obvious fact that you don't want to portray a used item with a new picture, blah, blah. Just trying to frame the concept in a way that makes sense as far the the WAHM's time and equipment etc...
post #47 of 80
So how is it different than if I linked a pic here to say "look at these cute..." Would that be ok? But it's ok because I haven't purchased the item and I'm showing it off to people to get that WAHM the sale right? I guess it just seems like a double standard to me. I mean, I understand about using the same pic to auction or sell something. I respect a persons work, but I don't get why you couldn't just say "look at this soaker I"m getting," but you could say "look at this cute soaker."
post #48 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I respect a persons work, but I don't get why you couldn't just say "look at this soaker I"m getting," but you could say "look at this cute soaker."
Typically when you do either of those things you are linking directly to the product on the wahm site (or if you arent, that would be the right way to do it) ... versus taking the picture off of their site and putting it up on your own. Therefore you are not taking possession of it... you are directing people to the place where the picture currently is...in the possession of the owner of the site.... if that makes sense?
post #49 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
Typically when you do either of those things you are linking directly to the product on the wahm site (or if you arent, that would be the right way to do it) ... versus taking the picture off of their site and putting it up on your own. Therefore you are not taking possession of it... you are directing people to the place where the picture currently is...in the possession of the owner of the site.... if that makes sense?
ooooh ok LOL!
post #50 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie
So how is it different than if I linked a pic here to say "look at these cute..." Would that be ok? But it's ok because I haven't purchased the item and I'm showing it off to people to get that WAHM the sale right? I guess it just seems like a double standard to me. I mean, I understand about using the same pic to auction or sell something. I respect a persons work, but I don't get why you couldn't just say "look at this soaker I"m getting," but you could say "look at this cute soaker."
I honestly never thought about it, but I guess its the same issue of a person used their equipment and time to produce that image and its theirs

As a WAHM I'm always pleased when someone posts a picture saying "look what I'm getting". I feel like they really like what I made for them and its a nice feeling. However, some may not feel the same.
post #51 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
Typically when you do either of those things you are linking directly to the product on the wahm site (or if you arent, that would be the right way to do it) ... versus taking the picture off of their site and putting it up on your own. Therefore you are not taking possession of it... you are directing people to the place where the picture currently is...in the possession of the owner of the site.... if that makes sense?
That makes sense! Thanks :0
post #52 of 80
I guess I'm the odd one out because I always ask directly or indirectly if I can share. When I get a pic I always thank the WAHM and will either say "{is it ok to post this??" or I can't wait to show this off - letting them know I plan to post it. If they are not ok with it then they have the chance to tell me. No one ever has but it's still been their choice.... likewise all the WAHM's I've sent pics of DS in their items have all asked me if it's ok to include in their galleries and I appreciate that
post #53 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy
Diapering wahms don't make money off the pictures of their diapers. So I cannot understand for the life of me how using the picture they took of their diaper harms them in any way.
No, they don't make money off the pictures but it adds value to their product. They are the ones who take the time to take nice pictures of their items and they have legal rights to those pictures. Put yourself in their shoes. Wouldn't you be upset if you stocked your store w/35 AIO's (just making up an example here) only to find one of them on eBay using YOUR picture that you took the time to take? Again, that's stealing if you did not take the picture yourself and not only that, it's irritating. I had a mama do it to me on the TP once. It even had my DS's hand in the picture! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy
Is there some huge thing that happened that everybody else knows about that if I knew about I would understand this?
This thread started b/c of another thread where the OP was using a copyrighted picture in her auction. This thread spun out of that.
post #54 of 80
So, wouldn't copying and pasting directly from a website be copyright infringement as well?
post #55 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaylou
Part of a WAHM's time is picture taking. I don't take really nice pictures of my items for the fun of it, I take them to show the customer a true depiction of what her item looks like. I don't even have the really *expensive* software neccesary to "tube" the picture and make it look really spiffy.

So

1 - many WAHM"s spent a lot of money on the camera and the software to make that picture

2 - After making the diapering item the WAHM *spent* her time to properly photograph the item.

3 - Having that nice spendy picture increase the sales on her site.

Not trying to be snotty, just clear. The person putting up that auction is taking advantage of all the above.

Its not exactly like pattern copyright or anything, but its along the same lines.

But still this is work they have already done for their business. They are in no way losing out by somebody else using the picture. Where is the harm?

PS- I don't think you're being snotty.
post #56 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDiaperinMama
No, they don't make money off the pictures but it adds value to their product. They are the ones who take the time to take nice pictures of their items and they have legal rights to those pictures. Put yourself in their shoes. Wouldn't you be upset if you stocked your store w/35 AIO's (just making up an example here) only to find one of them on eBay using YOUR picture that you took the time to take? Again, that's stealing if you did not take the picture yourself and not only that, it's irritating. I had a mama do it to me on the TP once. It even had my DS's hand in the picture! :

This thread started b/c of another thread where the OP was using a copyrighted picture in her auction. This thread spun out of that.
Yes, it adds value to their product, and somebody else using the same picture to resell something doesn't take value away from the wahm's product.

I would be upset if I were a wahm and somebody bought something from me to try to resell it and make money. It wouldn't be about the picture. It would be about them making money off my product.

I still don't get the problem.
post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy
But still this is work they have done. They are in no way losing out by somebody else using the picture. Where is the harm?

PS- I don't think you're being snotty.
I guess its just out of respect for the work they have done. Maybe they should start selling the right to use their pics just like with a pattern or a song.

I'm not losing anything by a WAHM using a pic of my baby on their site, but its my baby and my picture, kwim?
post #58 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDiaperinMama
This thread started b/c of another thread where the OP was using a copyrighted picture in her auction. This thread spun out of that.
Did it turn into drama? Just wondering if I missed anything good :
post #59 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaylou
I guess its just out of respect for the work they have done.


Exactly!

chrissy-I think you're reading too much into it. I'm not sure how I or any other poster can make it any clearer. Hopefully you can understand where we're all coming from. The bottom line is it's the WAHM's property and as Lindsay said, it's about respect and common courtesy.
post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSugarKane
Did it turn into drama? Just wondering if I missed anything good :
Sort of. You and your popcorn are too late. :LOL I think it was locked and maybe deleted?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Diapering
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Diapering › PSA - WAHM sites/pictures/auctions