Originally Posted by girrllie
I'm glad you asked b/c I totally worry about this. I would like to use a birthing center instead of a hospital, but I worry that in case of rupture and transfer, then they would only have time for general instead of an epidural. Is this correct? Does anyone know?
At the hospital I am planning to give birth at (attended by a CNM) I did a consult with OB to just talk about VBAC, etc. She told me that in the case of a rupture they would do a general - even if I already had an epidural for pain relief. My understanding is that the anethesia medication they use for pain relief during labor is not the same as the medication they use during a c-section (they just use the same delivery method) and that since it takes time to take effect they wouldn't risk the wait.
To the OP - its not clear what your side effects were, but if you mean you had terrible side effects to the drugs they used, you should be able to get a copy of your operative report and find out what they used, then discuss alternatives your care provider and/or an anethesiologist if you should need another c/section.