or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › The Eczema Tribe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Eczema Tribe - Page 19

post #361 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be
Anyway, my naturopathic doctor (also my midwife) has me on sulfur (homeopathic) for the itching, but it is not helping at all.

I put Eucerin on them, but it just stings and makes it even itchier. I've tried calendula ointment and a homeopathic ointment for eczema with no luck. It's almost like the drier they are, the better.

But there has to be something else I can do. Can anyone help me?? TIA
Sulphur DID work for my ds but the dr told us to try it for 3 days and if no rxn, then to switch to Rhus Tox instead. Sulphur is great for ds as he's hot, red & sweaty. So, we've learned that if he has a flare-up, we give sulphur and it works w/in the day to break the "xxx" in his body. Then, we can treat the symptoms. (xxx= I really don't know what it is --sort of the systemic shock of the allergen rxn) So, maybe ask about Rhus Tox?

Allergist said NO eucerin for us as lanolin is bad for my ds.

And, here this may sound evil but if you're not at the weepy/open stage, go swimming in chlorine. Again, I can't explain it but it's like it totally cleans out any "xxx" (whatever) on his skin and lets it start over. I immediately afterwards (within 3 mins) slather on lots of cetaphil cream. We've also used calendula ointment and a salve by Wise Woman.
post #362 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
oh my...he might be allergic to coconut...what else did he eat? what kind of CO did you get?
I bought Spectrum unrefined organic coconut oil for skin and hair. I also bought castile saop for his baths. That has coconut oil in it also so I am going to stop that too.
post #363 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyToBe
Sulphur DID work for my ds but the dr told us to try it for 3 days and if no rxn, then to switch to Rhus Tox instead. Sulphur is great for ds as he's hot, red & sweaty. So, we've learned that if he has a flare-up, we give sulphur and it works w/in the day to break the "xxx" in his body. Then, we can treat the symptoms. (xxx= I really don't know what it is --sort of the systemic shock of the allergen rxn) So, maybe ask about Rhus Tox?

Allergist said NO eucerin for us as lanolin is bad for my ds.

And, here this may sound evil but if you're not at the weepy/open stage, go swimming in chlorine. Again, I can't explain it but it's like it totally cleans out any "xxx" (whatever) on his skin and lets it start over. I immediately afterwards (within 3 mins) slather on lots of cetaphil cream. We've also used calendula ointment and a salve by Wise Woman.
How interesting...I will ask about the Rhus Tox. I am in the middle of the weepy/open stage, accompanied by the REALLY dry, cracking stage and the stage where those new, itchy bumps are still surfacing. It's like 3 stages of eczema all at once It's really, really painful and I can't imagine how horrible it must be to have this all over your body as a child.

I tried the coconut oil too and it just made it worse. I am now trying just about ANY lotion we have left in the house to see what works. Currently I am trying Avon's Oatmeal lotion and it seems to be not making things worse and allows me to hydrate them before bed.

I just hope this goes away soon...
post #364 of 503
weird on the reactions to the coconut oil. try some borage.
chlorine really bothers dd's skin..I can't imagine what it would do if her skin was open...
post #365 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Oh and re: CLO and babe's livers...I've never heard this either. I'd love to know your ND's references for this.

I would think it depends on the age and whether they are producing enough bile. I wouldnt give it under 6 mos b/c I think bf should be absolutely exclusive** until at least then but DS started on it at 8 mos px'd by our ND.

**P.S. the only exception bifidus
Hi Jane!

Nolan is 8.5 months now and has started a few solids: squash, avocado, banana. Is it ok to start him on CLO? How much?

I was also going to get bioflavonoids for myself (quercitin, hesperidin, rutin, bromelain) Is this the best mix to get? What kind of dosages should I be looking for?
Thanks!
post #366 of 503
Hi Everyone!
Let me make introductions- DS has had eczema since he was 4 months old. I have been doing SCD for about 2 months now and it has gotten worse. There are other things that have gotten better for both of us so I am sticking with it. He used to have a constant stuffy nose, spit up in large amounts and have 'wild' fits. I am currently cutting out dairy and eggs. I also do not eat any fruit or sugars- I am pretty sure we are dealing with yeast. He is BF and has started a few solids. He gets probiotics and vit C. I am taking CLO, CO, probiotics, vit C, and digestive enzymes. I want to add bioflavonoids and EPO next.

This whole process is frustrating. Healing is slow and all I want to do is take away his discomfort, NOW! It has been very helpful to read through the posts here and see all that you mommas have tried.
post #367 of 503
Hi! Just wanted to say thank you for all the great suggestions in this thread. My brain hurts, but I feel like I have some tools for fixing our excema problem. My daughter and I both have it. The reasons behind it have always baffled me, but now it's all starting to make more sense.
Thanks again-
post #368 of 503
I just wanted to give a heads up, children with eczema are more prone to skin infections, like Staph for example. You need to be very careful with this because an antibiotic resistant strain of Staph is becoming very common and can be very dangerous to our little ones. My son developed this very same strain on staph, but luckily we caught it soon enough to be able to try different anitbiotics until we found one that worked, but I have seen some children on the news have this infection go to their heart and end up needed heart surgery!
post #369 of 503
Sometimes I get staph too, due to eczema. the first time I got abx which didn't cure it and made my yeast issue worse so ever since then I just eat a bunch of raw garlic and rub it on the boils. It does the job and will not harm gut flora like abx.
For kids I'd try TTO topically and coconut oil in the diet.

How was the coconut allergy determined? I would think it's very rare and can be confused with die-off reactions.
post #370 of 503
he hasn't had a coconut allergy determined, but when I used coconut oil on him his eczema got so bad, and thats when he got all the staph back.
post #371 of 503
I guess I'll join in as well. My son just turned 3 and has what I think is eczema on his wrist, inner elbow, and the area where his ear lobe meets his face. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow where it will be confirmed hopefully. It started out in the ear area when he was around 2 1/2. I thought it was a sore that just wasn't healing. It just developed on his wrist and elbow in the last two months. I just took him off dairy a few days ago for the second time. He never had any skin problems at all in his first two years of life. He was breastfed until he self-weaned at 24 months and didn't start drinking cow's milk until then. I've started making him daily smoothies with 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil, 1 1300mg capsule of EPO, and a 1/2 tsp of CLO mixed in. I'm also giving him 1 tsp of powdered probiotics between meals. I just started all of this in the past few days so I haven't seen any difference yet-- hopefully in the next few weeks. I've been giving him daily oatmeal baths and slathering him with shea butter afterwards and I've been putting EPO and Florasone on the actual patches. The Florasone helped a lot on the patches on his wrist and his ear, but haven't really done anything for his inner elbow. I've always washed our clothes with "Free & Clear" detergent and he only wears cotton clothes. I did decide to stop using fabric softener on his clothes though. At night I put a long sleeve pajama top on him so he won't scratch his inner elbow, which bleeds if he does. I also try to cut his fingernails every couple of days. The patches always look really red and ugly when he gets out of the bath. I'm thinking the chlorine in the water is aggravating it so I just ordered a VitaShower SF-1 shower head after reading the shower filter reviews on this website: http://home.comcast.net/~reviewguy/index.html
I guess I'll just start using the shower head to fill up the bathtub for his bath.

I'm hoping in a few weeks I'll be able to say that there's been some improvement. I'll keep everyone updated and will post a review of the shower filter after I get it.
post #372 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by essnce629
I guess I'll join in as well. My son just turned 3 and has what I think is eczema on his wrist, inner elbow, and the area where his ear lobe meets his face. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow where it will be confirmed hopefully. It started out in the ear area when he was around 2 1/2. I thought it was a sore that just wasn't healing. It just developed on his wrist and elbow in the last two months. I just took him off dairy a few days ago for the second time. He never had any skin problems at all in his first two years of life. He was breastfed until he self-weaned at 24 months and didn't start drinking cow's milk until then. I've started making him daily smoothies with 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil, 1 1300mg capsule of EPO, and a 1/2 tsp of CLO mixed in. I'm also giving him 1 tsp of powdered probiotics between meals. I just started all of this in the past few days so I haven't seen any difference yet-- hopefully in the next few weeks. I've been giving him daily oatmeal baths and slathering him with shea butter afterwards and I've been putting EPO and Florasone on the actual patches. The Florasone helped a lot on the patches on his wrist and his ear, but haven't really done anything for his inner elbow. I've always washed our clothes with "Free & Clear" detergent and he only wears cotton clothes. I did decide to stop using fabric softener on his clothes though. At night I put a long sleeve pajama top on him so he won't scratch his inner elbow, which bleeds if he does. I also try to cut his fingernails every couple of days. The patches always look really red and ugly when he gets out of the bath. I'm thinking the chlorine in the water is aggravating it so I just ordered a VitaShower SF-1 shower head after reading the shower filter reviews on this website: http://home.comcast.net/~reviewguy/index.html
I guess I'll just start using the shower head to fill up the bathtub for his bath.

I'm hoping in a few weeks I'll be able to say that there's been some improvement. I'll keep everyone updated and will post a review of the shower filter after I get it.
Have you tried baking soda or epsom salt baths? The oatmeal bath did nothing for us. Baking soda and e. s. seems to be soothing both for the skin and the mood. Unfortunately, we don't have a filter for chlorine but I don't think it's an issue. At least not for us. We reduced bathing to every other day.
Also, the free and clear detergents are also made with chemicals that are toxic. Try real soap based laundry soaps from the HFS or borax-baking soda mix and rinse with vinegar.

All these measures didn't do much for us, though, until we made major dietary changes.
post #373 of 503
Now that DS has some solids everyday, can I give him some quercitin? I started taking it about 2 weeks ago (1500mg a day) along with 3000mg a day of EPo, we have seen some improvement. How much of each can I take?
post #374 of 503
I'll jump in, too. Henry suffered from eczema for a long time, and I finally put together a salve that seems to have worked. I actually have a business (well, used to have, I'm phasing out the biz side and going back to hobbiest level with this new baby arriving) where I make all natural B&B, baby and home products, and I have a great selection of ingredients, so that was good.

Anyway, here's the list of ingredients of my balm that keeps him clear of outbreaks is (in order of percentage):

unrefined shea butter
avocado butter
wheatgerm oil
borage oil
evening primrose oil
emu oil
natural vitamin e

I add soy flakes to it to keep it a balm consistency. I've done it w/o emu for my veggie friends, and it's still really gotten great reviews. I experimented with different EOs, but they seemed to exacerbate H's outbreaks, so we went unscented, and it seems to work well.

I did notice that peanut butter made his outbreaks worse, and so I got really good about making sure he didn't consume any, he tolerates almond and cashew butter very well, and a jar of that lasts forever, so it makes up for the $5 price tag, LOL!

If you want to try to throw together a salve or balm, I can help you with percentages and ways to cut costs, if you want just pM me!
post #375 of 503
I know it's nuts to jump into a huge thread like this, but I thought I'd share what has helped our 4.5 year old son tremendously. He's had eczema since 4 months (while exclusively breastfed), and we have had a 90% SCD diet at home this past year which is definately improving his general health but not the eczema. His lower legs and behind his knees were so red and itchy and waking him up at night, it was awful and we were even resorting to the occasional use of hydrocortisone (which barely worked and appalled me) so he'd get some sleep because everything else we'd tried had helped a bit but ultimately been futile.

I finally took him to an acupuncturist who is good with kids, he LOVES her, and she gave me an herbal cream called FULE SHUANG that she just brought back from china - no cortisone in it, all gentle herbs, smells like skunk cabbage. She also suggested lots of water, watermelon, cukes, no dairy (he didn't anyhow), no soap, and etc. for his particular constitution. And acupuncture. Anyhow, it's amazing, he's totally calm for the acupuncture and we put the cream on the itchy parts after his bath, and then cover his whole body with herbal balm - and my son has smooth pale skin and no itchies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...crossing our fingers here... but I thought I'd pass along the cream name.
post #376 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Have you tried baking soda or epsom salt baths?
No I haven't, but I did just buy a big carton of epson salt for myself a few days ago that is still unopened. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Should I just follow the directions on the carton? It says to add two cups to the bath. That seems like a lot.

Oh, and I just finished reading the "baking soda as laundry detergent" thread and I think I'll try that next.
post #377 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by essnce629
No I haven't, but I did just buy a big carton of epson salt for myself a few days ago that is still unopened. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Should I just follow the directions on the carton? It says to add two cups to the bath. That seems like a lot.

Oh, and I just finished reading the "baking soda as laundry detergent" thread and I think I'll try that next.
I think you can use less, start with half a cup, I usually put one cup in the tub, just eyeball it. It mixes better in hot water.
post #378 of 503
Quick question:
Some of you have mentioned the itchy bumps that accompany the eczema. I'm just wondering what the bumps look like. I know my DD has eczema on the inside of her elbows, but now she has little red spots that start out with a white center, almost like a white head. Is this a specific form of eczema? I'm so confused.
Also, I tried the sea salt bath, and that really seems to help the itching, and it seemed to heal the open sores.
I bought nettle tea, since it's supposed to be a natural antihistimane...but of course she won't drink it. I am going to try putting the tea bags on her arm, or putting them in her bath water.
I tried emu oil, which worked well for my eczema, but that's what started all the bumps on her.
Also trying jojoba oil, which seems to hydrate her skin really well.

Right now, I'm just concerned about this spreading all over her body, because the flakiness is confined to her arms, while the bumps are appearing all over her body (Not very many, but still I'm worried.) Oh! Also-a couple of days after she got the bumps, I started getting them too. I've only gotten 3 total, and they go away really quick.

Anyone know what might be going on?
post #379 of 503
When my DS got those it was a staph infection he needed to be on antibiotics for, I would take her in to her pediatrician to get checked out. His looked like big white heads and then spread all over his body, when I got him in the dr said that they would of had to lance and drain them if I had waited much longer.
post #380 of 503
Thanks, eternity, for telling me about the bumps on your DS. Our sound different though, because they go away on their own, and never get very big. I've had them on me too, and I'm fairly confident that I don't have staph. Hmmm...very interesting all the stuff that can happen to our skin!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › The Eczema Tribe