or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › The Diapering Forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Diapering Forum - Page 8

post #141 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
Absolutely, I am not arguing that. But I think it needs to be addressed board wise... not just diapering. I know many christian/Bush supporting mamas (who i am not one of FTR :LOL) dont feel comfortable in the NWEs/Current events forum..... same situation but there isnt a post here about that forum, kwim?
post #142 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
But no one was making fun of anyone for using prefolds! Some people thought they were in fact being picked on so they lashed back..... its not ok, but it really has absolutely nothing to do with the prefold itself.
I agree. I honestly and truly cannot imagine ANYONE on diapering riduculing anyone or even *thinking* anything negative about someone using prefolds.
post #143 of 292
Thread Starter 
But it DOES have to do with the fact that even though we DO cloth diaper.. We are viewed as foreign..Even as senior members who HAVE posted on the forums before..
post #144 of 292
The only thing I can think of is one person said something "whats so special about a prefold and snappi" .... but I didnt recognize their name as a regular diapering poster and I know a lot of diapering mamas :LOL
post #145 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
If those first few posters had been regulars in the Diapering forum whom we all knew were friendly toward our diapering culture, there wouldn't have been any suspicion about malicious intent. ... When someone who isn't a diapering regular comes into the forum and posts such a thread, I don't have any idea what their attitudes are about the above things. What I do have is the knowledge that there are MDCers who are bothered by the above things in the Diapering forum.
I do see what you're saying. What I don't see is why it should matter. Why would someone who is a "regular" in the diapering forum feel like they had the right to judge someone who is not a regular? Why would they automatically suspect malicious intent? Why not just take it at face value?
post #146 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
But no one was making fun of anyone for using prefolds! Some people thought they were in fact being picked on so they lashed back..... its not ok, but it really has absolutely nothing to do with the prefold itself.
Really? I guess I read the "what's so special about a prefold and a snappi" and the "don't mind them- it's just a bunch of TAO trolls" differently, then.
post #147 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
But it DOES have to do with the fact that even though we DO cloth diaper.. We are viewed as foreign..Even as senior members who HAVE posted on the forums before..
you are making assumptions that the diapering forum as a whole views you as foreign when it was maybe 2 people who said it.....
post #148 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
But it DOES have to do with the fact that even though we DO cloth diaper.. We are viewed as foreign..Even as senior members who HAVE posted on the forums before..
I really think that nym's thread was a huge mistake and we all regret that her thread was taken wrong.

I, for one, embrace anyone who posts on diapering. It just takes awhile for everyone to get to know each other.

Sorry to keep going back to the TAO comparison, but I have tried numerous times to get to know the mama's there and become part of the community, but it just didn't happen.

I'm a senior member also, but appeared invisible to most folks on the TAO forum. I think that just comes with the fact that many people spend a lot of time on one forum. That is why I just started using the new posts feature and post wherever I want - recognized or not, I put in my 2 cents and go on my merry way :LOL
post #149 of 292
Quote:
Why would they automatically suspect malicious intent? Why not just take it at face value?
See the previous post about mamas previously starting posts making fun of diapering mamas. I would think that would cause one to be suspicious
post #150 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
See the previous post about mamas previously starting posts making fun of diapering mamas. I would think that would cause one to be suspicious
I never saw that thread, I wasn't part of that thread, and I wasn't responsible for that thread.
post #151 of 292
Maybe someone has asked this but I haven't been through all 8 pages. What the heck is a hyena diaper?
post #152 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I never saw that thread, I wasn't part of that thread, and I wasn't responsible for that thread.
I know... me either. I was just going off what was said.... if that happened then i can understand why someone *could* take nym's thread wrong (espeically if they personally didnt *know* her on the boards). Dosent mean its ok... but its not a completely illogical assumption.

As for the "whats special about a prefold"... see my post above. Also I got the feeling from the person who posted that line that she was asking in a "why is special about a diaper" way... like she was long the same thinknig as mama g.... why celebrate a diaper, kwim? I could be wrong and we have no way to tell cause the thread is gone lol.
post #153 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I never saw that thread, I wasn't part of that thread, and I wasn't responsible for that thread.
I think what she is trying to say is that some mama's are on the defensive because of things that happend in the past. I know you weren't involved, but some people have some raw feelings about what's happend in the past. Can we all agree it was wrong and move forward?

I think most of us who are actively communicating here truly believe it was wrong to attack Nym and the other's who posted there.

Are there other specific incidents that others want to hash out? Do we really need to split the forum for everyone to feel comfortable?
post #154 of 292
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
It isn't about us vs. them! Please re-read what I said: If those first few posters had been regulars in the Diapering forum whom we all knew were friendly toward our diapering culture, there wouldn't have been any suspicion about malicious intent. I don't know how to state that any more clearly, so I'll try using an example. Suppose there's a regular in the Diapering forum named XYZ. I have read many of XYZ's posts expressing her genuine enthusiasm for many different diapers. I know, from reading her posts, that she doesn't have a problem with people buying whatever kinds of diapers they like. I know from reading her posts that she is sympathetic toward someone who wanted to buy a particular diaper but someone else got to it first. Therefore, if XYZ had posted the thread in question, I would have been sure that it must be meant in an entirely innocent way. When someone who isn't a diapering regular comes into the forum and posts such a thread, I don't have any idea what their attitudes are about the above things. What I do have is the knowledge that there are MDCers who are bothered by the above things in the Diapering forum.
My last post was mostly in response to this.. I agree with AM.. We are MDC mothers.. We believe in NFL and AP.. TAO has been bashed NUMEROUS times.. We don't assume people "new" to the TAO forum are out to make fun of us.. Even though THAT has happened too..
post #155 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
Maybe someone has asked this but I haven't been through all 8 pages. What the heck is a hyena diaper?

A hyena diaper is one that is in high demand, and small supply. When a WAHM "stocks" her store the "hyenas" stalk and pounce her store.
post #156 of 292
I feel this convo is a little stuck in the mud.

Come on mamas.....how can we make it right?

What can we do to prevent it from happening again?
post #157 of 292
Quote:
I think most of us who are actively communicating here truly believe it was wrong to attack Nym and the other's who posted there
post #158 of 292
So for those who want to split diapering up, how would you do that? Who decides what is a simple diaper and what is a hyena diaper?

What if a hyena diaper no longer is hyena? Then those of us who like it have to post in the simple diapering forum? Are only prefolds and bummis users allowed in there?

Would MDC mods then be in cahrge of deciding what kind of consumers we are/ One week I am a hyena and then next week I am not?

I just don't get how this would be accomplished.
post #159 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
My last post was mostly in response to this.. I agree with AM.. We are MDC mothers.. We believe in NFL and AP.. TAO has been bashed NUMEROUS times.. We don't assume people "new" to the TAO forum are out to make fun of us.. Even though THAT has happened too..
This is true. But I think in general diapering gets a really bad rap on MDC. I mean heck at one time even our posts were filtered out of the new posts link.... so yes I think many diapering mamas are probably overly defensive.

But I agree, what do we do to move on? Does splitting the forum help? I just dont think so. If anything I think it will make the subforum more elite and more defensive because then people can continue to call diapering mamas crazy for spending so much money.... but at least now they have a forum out of the way so we dont have to see it. It just doesnt sit well with me. If we do that, we need to split up the babywearing forum too..... heck you can wear your baby with a sheet.. anyone who buys a sling more than $30 needs to post in the elite forum. Same thing for natural home and body care... you can clean your house with vinegar... so anyone who wants to use natural products (which cost more than vinegar) need to have their own seperate forum. So I just dont think that is the answer.....

I do like the idea of a sticky about diapering simply versus diapering with what you like....or maybe add that to the newbie diapering sticky we alraedy have.
post #160 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulagirl
So for those who want to split diapering up, how would you do that? Who decides what is a simple diaper and what is a hyena diaper?

What if a hyena diaper no longer is hyena? Then those of us who like it have to post in the simple diapering forum? Are only prefolds and bummis users allowed in there?

Would MDC mods then be in cahrge of deciding what kind of consumers we are/ One week I am a hyena and then next week I am not?

I just don't get how this would be accomplished.
ITA w/you Kate. I don't see how this would productive at all. If anything it would further divide us and really make it an "us" versus "them" mentality. Not good for any forum on this board, IMO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › The Diapering Forum