or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › The Diapering Forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Diapering Forum - Page 10

post #181 of 292
nak......... : I am embarassed to say that I started one of the mentioned threads from a few months ago.

Prior to starting that thread I had never gone into the diapering forum. Not once. I honestly thought the thread was going to be light fun for ppl in TAO and ppl in diapering. When I saw where it was going I felt absolutely horrible. i remember feeling sick to my stomach. I then asked a mod to pull it. My next step should have been to go back to diapering and apoligize.

I'm very sorry.

On a positive note I can say that I used the information that you kind mamas gave to me to buy some much needed fitteds. I also met some great mamas in the process.
post #182 of 292
don't tell me I killed the thread with that!?!
post #183 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrozncavegrl
don't tell me I killed the thread with that!?!
psstt. if you want to keep controversial threads alive there is no room for sincere apologies! I insist you do a internship over in News and current events to learn how to keep the nasty stuff rolling!

I actually like the idea mentioned above.. A diapering basics forum, and a diaper chat forum. I think it would give newbies a place to test the water so to speak without having to try to learn all the lingo at once and play with the big boys (hyenas :LOL )
post #184 of 292
Cavegirl it was 7 minutes between posts! LOL I am sure it isn't dead yet, everyone is just....changing diapers! :
post #185 of 292

Just reading for fun...

but everybody come to the EC forum!!

Ha ha ha ha :LOL
post #186 of 292
I think diapering basics and practical diapering tips can be misleading. I prefer dividing up into a practical diapering/chit-chat subforum and a shopping for diapers/chit-chat subforum.
post #187 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica36
Cavegirl it was 7 minutes between posts! LOL I am sure it isn't dead yet, everyone is just....changing diapers! :
:LOL phew!
post #188 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
See the previous post about mamas previously starting posts making fun of diapering mamas. I would think that would cause one to be suspicious
no, you are taking something COMPLETLY out of context. a thread was not started to make fun of diapering mamas. however, when it became clear that that is how it could come off, i asked for it to be removed. the INTENT was never to make fun of mamas. that is so not my style...and i cloth diaper my son.
post #189 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by gethane
well at least with prefolds you are allowed to post a pic. My homemade fluff can only be posted in Crafts (didn't think there was enough controversy here )

:LOL i didn't even know....
post #190 of 292
I apologize in advance for what will be a LONG post, because there is SO much to respond to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty
I'm confused by this statement. I didn't see the thread last night - but from what I understand these were regular members of MDC (many senior?) so one should naturally assume that they support cloth diapers by the very enviro nature of them. So when you say that some might be concerned they don't support "our diapering culture" what does that mean? (Not being snarky, I really want to know.)
I assume that most MDCers support cloth diapering. What I don’t know is to what degree a given person (who isn’t a Diapering regular) accepts the culture of the Diapering forum, which includes:

Acceptance of whatever kind of diaper system one chooses, be it prefolds, hyena fitteds, whatever.

Deriving pleasure from others’ enthusiasm for diapers, whether that enthusiasm is expressed toward a $50 hyena item or a $2 prefold.

Acceptance of however many or however few diapers one chooses to buy, and however much or however little money one spends on them.

Comforting of those who didn’t get to buy a diaper they really wanted, and congratulations to those who did get to buy a diaper they really wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I think of MDC forums as permeable membranes- we should all be able to pass in and out without having to prove ourselves.
That’s how I think of MDC, too. I’m not saying that anyone who comes into the Diapering forum should have to prove herself. New people come into the Diapering forum all the time without incident. They are welcomed with open arms. All I’m saying is that if you haven’t been in a particular forum for a while, you might not want your first post to be something that could easily be taken as an insult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
We have plenty of pretty soakers at my house.. But I would never go onto someone's post and say Hey.. What's so special about that diaper..
That’s not what happened. One of the posters said something like "Ooh, those are rare!" and then someone responded to that statement by asking, "I don’t get it. What’s rare about a prefold and a snappi?" It was not a put-down of prefolds or snappis in any way shape or form. It was a sincere question about what made the pictured item "RARE."

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I do have a huge problem with it be glorified to the point where it's acceptable to ridicule others for embracing simpler methods.
Anyone who thinks it’s acceptable in the Diapering forum to ridicule others for embracing simpler methods needs to spend more time there. NO ONE ridicules anyone for embracing simpler methods. I have NEVER seen it happen. Not ONCE. And I have pretty much lived there for the past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Why would someone who is a "regular" in the diapering forum feel like they had the right to judge someone who is not a regular? Why would they automatically suspect malicious intent? Why not just take it at face value?
I am not judging anyone. No one "automatically" suspected malicious intent. It was entirely justifiable to question the intent of that thread simply because of the things that were said in that thread and the way they were said. It really did seem insulting. I couldn’t help interpreting it that way, even before I saw who posted it. When I saw that it was posted by people who don’t normally post in Diapering, all that meant was that I couldn’t rule out the possibility that my interpretation was accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I never saw that thread, I wasn't part of that thread, and I wasn't responsible for that thread.
No one is saying you were. You asked why anyone might be suspicious, and those threads are one reason. We aren’t responsible for them either, but we can’t help feeling "once bitten, twice shy." You’ve been implying that snobbery or hostility coming from Diapering is some kind of trend. Apparently, snobbery and hostility directed toward Diapering is a trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
TAO has been bashed NUMEROUS times.. We don't assume people "new" to the TAO forum are out to make fun of us..
As I said, we don’t assume new people are out to make fun of us, either. New people come in all the time and are welcomed and we all get along fine. The particular thread in question really did seem to be insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumblepuff
Wading through post after post of store stockings and sales and feeling like only unique and expensive options are applaudable and/or praise worthy may keep someone from getting information they need to CD.
Anyone who feels that the attitude in the Diapering forum is that only unique and expensive diapers are applaudable or praise-worthy clearly hasn’t spent much time there. Information about what you need to CD is shared all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
It's one thing to say "Is brand XYZ good for night?" or "Are Chubbybums trim?" but another to be promoting buying $300 covers on a board where others might be coming for practical information.
What is wrong with discussing extraordinary diaper items on a diaper message board? If it isn’t your cup of tea, read the threads that are about simpler options, or post one yourself. No one is making you buy it. Other people might want to buy it, so why not let them discuss it?


Anyway, as far as splitting the diapering forum into 2 groups, how exactly would that work? Suppose someone asked "This is what my baby is like – what diapers would work best for my baby?" (people post questions like that ALL the time). How are we supposed to respond? Well, I think Brand A diaper might work in your situation, as well as brands B and C. There are a few other diapers that I think might work, but I’m afraid I can’t mention them here. You’ll have to come into the other forum and post the same question."

And as far as the overconsumption issue, I will never understand why people pick on, of all people, CLOTH diapering mamas! It is so ironic! Most people use DISPOSABLES! They buy a new diaper for every change! Pick on them, for Pete’s sake! They are supporting chemical companies and Wal-Mart! We are supporting organic cotton farmers and Work At Home Mothers!
post #191 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillbob
What about a "diapering basics" forum, for questions/help in regards to general diapering. Stuff like "what's the best way to fold a flat?" and "front snaps or side snaps-which do you prefer?" etc. could go there. A separate "diaper chit-chat" could be geared more towards show offs and stockings. That way it's not simple vs hyena. Just thinking "out loud" here
I was seriously just going to post this!!!

Diapering Basics and Diapering Talk
post #192 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaylou
A hyena diaper is one that is in high demand, and small supply. When a WAHM "stocks" her store the "hyenas" stalk and pounce her store.
Gotcha. I guess I just cloth diaper but am not involved in cloth diaper culture so I'm a bit clueless. :LOL

I've stuck my head in the diapering forum a few times but all I saw were posts about auctions on Ebay for very pricey covers etc so it wasn't for me. I think having a diaper basics vs diaper chit-chat would be a good idea. That would address the issue someone raised of not being able to talk about a particular kind of diaper if someone asked for recommendations. You could still say ABC diaper would probably would great for your baby. You just would post that ABC diaper had been stocked in XYZ store in the chit-chat forum.
post #193 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by .me.
I think diapering basics and practical diapering tips can be misleading. I prefer dividing up into a practical diapering/chit-chat subforum and a shopping for diapers/chit-chat subforum.
I think that may be a good way of seperating it if it is going to be done. I'm still not sure I like the subforums, but its obviously not my decision, LOL.
post #194 of 292
I'm looking forward to getting back into CDing, and I also like the idea of breaking it up into Diaper Chat forums based on diapering TOPIC, not based on the type of diaperer one is.

Some ideas to toss out....

Stalk the Stock -- Who's stocking, when, what you wanna buy, what you bought, what you plan on buying, etc.

Show & Tell -- Show us us pics of your newest fluff, your latest diaper craving, what you snagged on ebay, etc.

Diapering on a Dime -- How to get the best diaperbang for your buck.

Back to Basics -- Our lives are frittered away by detail... diaper simplicity, diaper simplicity. (Henry David Thoreau, with a diapering twist)
post #195 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
I'm looking forward to getting back into CDing, and I also like the idea of breaking it up into Diaper Chat forums based on diapering TOPIC, not based on the type of diaperer one is.

Some ideas to toss out....

Stalk the Stock -- Who's stocking, when, what you wanna buy, what you bought, what you plan on buying, etc.

Show & Tell -- Show us us pics of your newest fluff, your latest diaper craving, what you snagged on ebay, etc.

Diapering on a Dime -- How to get the best diaperbang for your buck.

Back to Basics -- Our lives are firittred away by detail... diaper simplicity, diaper simplicity.
You put some real thought into that!
post #196 of 292
I have no idea about the thread last night that started this thread, but it appears that there was a lot of miscommunication between a FEW members. Please, don't punish us for this.

I think separating the forum is a ridiculous idea.

I use prefolds, fitteds (hyena and homemade), AIOs, and FuzziBunz. I have 3 soakers that I did not knit myself. Why should I have to stress about where to talk about prefolds and which fitteds go in which forum? It's hard enough to be an active member and take care of my wonderful little man, without having to decide where each and every post should go. I'm all for frugal diapering, but if nobody purchase WAHM-made diapers those WAHMs wouldn't be able to stay home with their babes. I don't see how something being "hyena" makes it un-attachment parenting or non-NFL. It's still cloth. It's still supporting moms. It shouldn't matter.

Can we please just all be friends and have a ?

post #197 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace

Some ideas to toss out....

Stalk the Stock -- Who's stocking, when, what you wanna buy, what you bought, what you plan on buying, etc.

Show & Tell -- Show us us pics of your newest fluff, your latest diaper craving, what you snagged on ebay, etc.

Diapering on a Dime -- How to get the best diaperbang for your buck.

Back to Basics -- Our lives are frittered away by detail... diaper simplicity, diaper simplicity. (Henry David Thoreau, with a diapering twist)
You know what I love about you FullofGrace? You are a problem solver!
post #198 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumblepuff
ETA I don't think it is so much about price even, more that there is just such a focus on buying and continue to buy even when you have plenty. For me that is overconsumption plain and simple and just because we all do it in one area or another doesn't mean there should be a forum dominated by it.
:
post #199 of 292
Wanted to add, just for clarification, I am not suggesting we have one forum where you can only mention dipes that are under twenty bucks. What I am suggesting is that the "Look what I scored" or "Damn. I really wanted that" or "Look at this cool dipe on ebay" posts go one place, no matter what the cost, and the diapering "facts" go another.
post #200 of 292
LOL! Thanks Angelbee and annettemarie! I've had a long time to think while waiting for pages to load... our power, cable, and phone lines all got ripped off the house in the storm Monday night. Only the power lines are back up where they belong (the restare still hanging off the house and across the driveway), so my internet connection is sketchy at best.

Sorry, that was OT. Carry on! :LOL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › The Diapering Forum